iTunes Library File Cannot Be Saved, Request for Help Problem Solving - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
saralynn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
iTunes Library File Cannot Be Saved, Request for Help Problem Solving

Hi,

I am having a problem with iTunes that I need to fix immediately! (I use iTunes for work)

I was importing files into iTunes tonight, and received the following message:

'The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. The required file cannot be found'.

In my iTunes folder, I see the following files:

iTunes Library
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

I'm still able to play songs from my collection. This error message keeps popping up though!

Would anyone kindly be able to help me to solve this problem?

I'm using iTunes 11.01, and OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance!
saralynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
See if the folder/files are locked or if you have the right permissions, just use get info on files/folders to see if you have read/write access.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralynn View Post
Hi,

I am having a problem with iTunes that I need to fix immediately! (I use iTunes for work)

I was importing files into iTunes tonight, and received the following message:

'The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. The required file cannot be found'.

In my iTunes folder, I see the following files:

iTunes Library
iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library Extras.itdb
iTunes Library Genius.itdb

I'm still able to play songs from my collection. This error message keeps popping up though!

Would anyone kindly be able to help me to solve this problem?

I'm using iTunes 11.01, and OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance!

Is the iTunes Library called iTunes Library.itl ?

If it is run disk permissions
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
saralynn
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
See if the folder/files are locked or if you have the right permissions, just use get info on files/folders to see if you have read/write access.
Yes, I have read/write access on the files.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Is the iTunes Library called iTunes Library.itl ?

If it is run disk permissions
I have these iTunes Library files in my iTunes folder:

iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library

No .itl extension

I have tried verifying and repairing my disk permissions.

Any other steps I should take?
saralynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralynn View Post
Yes, I have read/write access on the files.

----------



I have these iTunes Library files in my iTunes folder:

iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library

No .itl extension

I have tried verifying and repairing my disk permissions.

Any other steps I should take?
I have a iTunes Library.itl file as well, even on my older Powerbook on 10.5.8 it is there, that might be the problem.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralynn View Post
Yes, I have read/write access on the files.

----------



I have these iTunes Library files in my iTunes folder:

iTunes Library.xml
iTunes Library

No .itl extension

I have tried verifying and repairing my disk permissions.

Any other steps I should take?
On the file I quoted in bold. Right click on it and select "get info".

Make sure you have "hide file extension " de-selected.
It should look like this :

If there is no extension give it the *.itl extension then open iTunes and see what happens.

That file should be called iTunes Library.itl by default.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itl.png
Views:	28
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	399563  
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
itunes, itunes library, itunes library files, itunes11, mac apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to rename a pdf file saved on *iPad* ibooks without using itunes or the laptop Subu iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Jun 18, 2013 01:16 AM
ITunes library file DeafRaiders Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Dec 21, 2012 06:37 AM
Problem transferring iTunes library, missing .itl file? after Mountain Lion Upgrade SamIchi Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Aug 12, 2012 05:31 PM
iTunes Library file different for Mac/Windows Darien Red Sox Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Jun 22, 2012 09:12 AM
itunes and file library J.L.Photography iPhone 1 Jun 14, 2012 11:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC