Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

I won a 16GB iPad 2. I have a question though.

Since i'm a soldier I have the choice of getting the 16gig iPad 2 or a iPad mini. most soldiers choose the iPad mini because we travel but space isn't a issue for me. What's the difference in user experience between the two for people that own or used both?
devilstrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:07 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

It really depends on how you plan on using it day to day, and if you have access to a computer, smart phone, etc.

I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini (and MBA and iPhone 5)
I use the iPad 3 and iPad Mini for different things

You have to decide what makes sense for you
I use my iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard and it works great for things like Evernote and such
I use my iPad Mini for reading, email, etc.

I would hate to give up either of mine actually

In your case, an iPad Mini would prolly be awesome and just what you need
But only you know how you plan to use it

Edit: And congratulations on the win and thank you for your service!
MacDawg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
It really depends on how you plan on using it day to day, and if you have access to a computer, smart phone, etc.

I have both an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini (and MBA and iPhone 5)
I use the iPad 3 and iPad Mini for different things

You have to decide what makes sense for you
I use my iPad 3 with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard and it works great for things like Evernote and such
I use my iPad Mini for reading, email, etc.

I would hate to give up either of mine actually

In your case, an iPad Mini would prolly be awesome and just what you need
But only you know how you plan to use it

Edit: And congratulations on the win and thank you for your service!
You're welcome and thanks for the input. It will definitely help me with my choice.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Being a soldier, I'll assume you find the claims of the larger iPads being too heavy laughable.

The screen on the Mini will be a little sharper than on the ipad 2, but the downside is that touch targets will be smaller. If you area big guy, with large hands, you may prefer using the iPad 2.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:29 AM   #5
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Being a soldier, I'll assume you find the claims of the larger iPads being too heavy laughable.

The screen on the Mini will be a little sharper than on the ipad 2, but the downside is that touch targets will be smaller. If you area big guy, with large hands, you may prefer using the iPad 2.
Yeah I find that funny as well because we carry a lot of heavy things and I tell you a iPad will in no way hinder me.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:58 AM   #6
alphaod
macrumors Core

I moved from the iPad 3 to an iPad mini.

The iPad 3 was excellent, but simply put the iPad mini is easier to use.

It's smaller, so it fits perfectly in my hand. And then with the other hand I'm free to do other things (); with the mini landscape typing can be done handheld instead of having to sit it down on the surface. The apps are the same, and it has the same functionality as its bigger brother.

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 26, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
alphaod is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:36 AM   #7
mapledress
macrumors regular

Personally, I prefer the ipad mini. More comfortable and easy to carry. I am one who like paly games and watch videos. The iPad mini let me enjoy the time everywhere at any time.
mapledress is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:38 AM   #8
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

It all depends on what you wanna do with it. The iPad mini is obviously more portable and can be used to read easier, etc.

But the 10inch screen is unbeatable if you're gonna be using it for media.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:50 AM   #9
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

One thing to bear in mind is that that the Mini has some upgrades over the 2 like being a little faster, having faster WiFi, better speakers, and better battery life. On the other hand, if you forget or loose your cable you will have an easier time finding someone with a 30-pin than a Lightning connector. There are also far more 30-pin accessories.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:20 AM   #10
SeanR1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylercr16 View Post
Shouldn't you have more respect for the folks fighting for their country instead of being rude on the Internet?
I was kinda thinking the same thing.....[/QUOTE]

I thought the same, I was hoping it was a sad attempt at being funny.
SeanR1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:47 AM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I would go with the mini.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Mini is an upgrade on ipad 2. No question there.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:00 AM   #13
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlossw View Post
Mini is an upgrade on ipad 2. No question there.
Unless you value a large screen...so there really is a question there.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:38 PM   #14
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unless you value a large screen...so there really is a question there.
Hold it closer to your face. Problem solved.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:56 PM   #15
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilstrider View Post
Since i'm a soldier I have the choice of getting the 16gig iPad 2 or a iPad mini. most soldiers choose the iPad mini because we travel but space isn't a issue for me. What's the difference in user experience between the two for people that own or used both?
I own both the iPad mini and iPad 3. I use the, both for different things, however, I find the mini much nicer to use and handle.

Compared to the iPad 2, the mini has a sharper screen, faster wifi, stereo speakers, 5mp back camera, HD front camera, Siri etc etc.

I'd choose the mini

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.0.2
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.0.2
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:52 PM   #16
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

The way I see it, your only real consideration should be physical screen size. Speed/power are identical; the mini does have the leg up with Lightning and better cameras.

If I had to choose between the 2 and the mini, I'd get the mini.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:03 PM   #17
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Yep. Only screen size is the issue here. If you have a chance, try out an ipad v a mini. That will give you the answer.

Last edited by smoking monkey; Feb 26, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:14 PM   #18
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Going overseas the mini is what I would take. Skype/facetime with family is much easier. Not that weights an issue but the iPad mini is just a handy device. Think of it like the carbine version of the regular iPad. Both do the same thing but the mini is easier to maneuver.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:19 PM   #19
taedouni
macrumors 65816

The only thing that the iPad 2 has on the Mini is the larger screen size. The iPad mini is an all new design that has better speakers, new lightning connector, higher ppi, smaller A5 chip (unless the iPad 2 you win has the newer smaller A5 chip), feels better (thanks to the new design), better front and rear camera, and it's easier to type in portriat with two hands (without split keyboard).

P.S. thanks for your service.
taedouni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:35 PM   #20
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

This. I'm a soldier as well, and I travel all the time, so I find the Mini more convient for the size. On my deployment I had my iPad 2 it was nice as well. Either way it's a win, win. I'd probably go with the Mini since it's a little bit more updated.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:44 PM   #21
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for the information. I'll be going with the iPad mini.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:16 PM   #22
TJ5921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thank you all for the information. I'll be going with the iPad mini.
Nice man you're gona love it. Definitely the right choice haha.
TJ5921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:34 PM   #23
Solomani
macrumors 68000

OP: The rear-camera on the iPad 2 is crappy. So just be forewarned that all the pictures you take with that will be grainy and pixelated. In fact, every other iPad that came AFTER the iPad 2 has a noticeably superior rear-facing camera. And even my (current generation) iPod Touch 5 has a far better rear-facing digital camera, which is using the same 5-megapixel camera as the iPhone 4 and the iPad Mini.

But once you are realistic about the poor camera quality... the iPad 2 overall isn't a bad device, because it's decent enough to be able to run almost all the apps that the latest iPads and iPhones can.

Updated: yes, going with the iPad Mini is probably the best choice. It may be smaller, but it sure is technically more advanced and more modern than the iPad 2.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:26 PM   #24
devilstrider
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
OP: The rear-camera on the iPad 2 is crappy. So just be forewarned that all the pictures you take with that will be grainy and pixelated. In fact, every other iPad that came AFTER the iPad 2 has a noticeably superior rear-facing camera. And even my (current generation) iPod Touch 5 has a far better rear-facing digital camera, which is using the same 5-megapixel camera as the iPhone 4 and the iPad Mini.

But once you are realistic about the poor camera quality... the iPad 2 overall isn't a bad device, because it's decent enough to be able to run almost all the apps that the latest iPads and iPhones can.

Updated: yes, going with the iPad Mini is probably the best choice. It may be smaller, but it sure is technically more advanced and more modern than the iPad 2.
I have a professional camera as well as a galaxy note II so I would never us the camera anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 07:48 PM   #25
corys00
macrumors member

I have nothing to add to any of this I just want to say thank you for your service.
corys00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad