Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:10 PM   #326
chriscrk
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah View Post
In my honest opinion, I believe this should and shouldn't pass. I believe it should pass because we are all equal and everyone should be able to marry who they want, it's their lives. I also believe this shouldn't go through because I'm a Christian myself and it's a sin to marry the same sex. But, my current position is "I don't care if this bill gets passed or not. (Basically neutral)." That is my "two cents".

You believe everyone is equal, but you believe that two people of the same gender shouldn't be allowed to get married? Where's the equality in that?

You're just contradicting yourself.
chriscrk is offline   6
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:11 PM   #327
laurim
macrumors 6502a
 
laurim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minnesota USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
As long as Apple doesn't shove it in my face I'll keep using their products. But if they do I'll have no problem dumping them like I've done with Amazon and JCPenney. I'd love to do it with Google and Microsoft but its damn near impossible.
So not only are you a sad individual who hates certain peoples, your claimed morality is weak compared to your avarice. Congrats!
__________________
2013 MacPro, 8-core, 32 GB RAM; Two 17" 2011 MacBook Pros; 17" 2008 MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S; AppleTV 2; iPod nano; 3T Time Capsule; 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display
laurim is offline   6
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:13 PM   #328
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict1978 View Post
Well said... and no one would choose to be gay. Unless they enjoy fearing losing everyone they love, being bashed, called names, afraid, suffer self esteem issues, etc. most of their lives until they finally don't giv ea **** what other people think in adulthood.
How is the post you quoted well said given what you stated in your follow-up? If gay people are conditioned to be strait and would chose it over being gay, what is stopping them? Your post reads more like a counter to what the guy you quoted said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah View Post
In my honest opinion, I believe this should and shouldn't pass. I believe it should pass because we are all equal and everyone should be able to marry who they want, it's their lives. I also believe this shouldn't go through because I'm a Christian myself and it's a sin to marry the same sex. But, my current position is "I don't care if this bill gets passed or not. (Basically neutral)." That is my "two cents".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Yay, same (kinda). I'd only vote no because the gay rights organizations try to force me and others to vote yes.
Lots of undercover bigots in this thread. You guys don't care if your fellow citizens don't have equal rights under the law. You say nope or I'm indifferent because they keep asking to be treated equally. That is so un-American. Do you people hear yourselves?

Last edited by AdonisSMU; Feb 26, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
AdonisSMU is online now   3
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:17 PM   #329
bigpoppamac31
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty11 View Post
So with that logic you think things like tattoos and wearing a shirt made from two fabrics are sins too?
Tattoos I don't like mainly cause I think they are ugly and ruin the body. But multi fabric clothing I have no issue with.
bigpoppamac31 is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 PM   #330
laurim
macrumors 6502a
 
laurim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minnesota USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
While I don't think someone should be discriminated against because they are gay, I abhor the "Born that way" argument. Not saying that people aren't born gay, but genetics is not a free pass for behavior. Many criminals have genetic propensities for violence, but we don't condone that. So, please, please use a better argument than "I'm genetically predisposed so it's OK."
We don't condone killers and pedos because they hurt people. How does someone being born gay affect you? Please explain. People can be born left-handed. Should we discriminate against them because we don't want to make left-handed scissors?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Seems to me one of the purposes of marriage is to foster procreation, and last time I checked its impossible for a man to impregnate another man or a woman another woman. If society doesn't procreate what happens to it?
So screw all the married people who can't have kids or don't want to!!!!! Make them get a divorce!!!

Ever heard of artificial insemination, surrogacy or adoption? Marriage is for forming permanent, stable family units. Something heteros have done a miserable job at, btw.
__________________
2013 MacPro, 8-core, 32 GB RAM; Two 17" 2011 MacBook Pros; 17" 2008 MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S; AppleTV 2; iPod nano; 3T Time Capsule; 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display
laurim is offline   3
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:21 PM   #331
Fatalbert
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I wouldn't care if it wasn't Apple with its classic rainbow Apple logo:

I'm sick and tired of people assuming that I'm gay or some kind of activist if I ever use a rainbow anywhere. The old Apple logo just looks nice and shows Mac props. There needs to be some movement to fragment the rainbow symbol to remove its meaning as a social statement. It's like how people think I'm an environmentalist because my favorite color is green. No, I just like green, geez!!!
Fatalbert is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:21 PM   #332
laurim
macrumors 6502a
 
laurim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minnesota USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
Yes, but all behavior has a genetic element, so I could justify anything I do by saying I was born that way. Again, I'm not criticizing being gay, I just think you can come up with better justifications than that.

I'm genetically predisposed to want to have sex with lots of women, but I don't because my wife doesn't understand. And I'm sure she won't accept the I was born this way argument.
So if someone makes a judgement that people born with dark skin are inferior to people with light skin and they should have fewer rights, that would be a-ok with you?
__________________
2013 MacPro, 8-core, 32 GB RAM; Two 17" 2011 MacBook Pros; 17" 2008 MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S; AppleTV 2; iPod nano; 3T Time Capsule; 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display
laurim is offline   1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:24 PM   #333
jbellanca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Excellent! Good job Apple... THANK YOU!!!
__________________
2013 Mac Mini, 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 15" MacBook Pro, iPad Air 64GB Wifi, iPad 64GB WiFi (3rd gen), iPhone 5s 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB, 3x Apple TV 3's
jbellanca is offline   3
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #334
highdough
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage in the first place - the entire thing is a religious concept and so having the government say it is or isn't allowed is like having the government approve and disapprove of specific religions (which is explicitly non-constitutional.)
Not true. Marriage has been about property, money, land, family alliances, politics and many other things, including religion. It's way more than just about religion. Non-religious people get married all the time. If it is just religious, why are my taxes affected?
highdough is offline   4
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #335
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppamac31 View Post
First. I don't live in the US. Secondly they are not my rule they are God's rules. An eternally big difference.
No. They are your god's rules. That's actually the big difference. You should not have the power to force your beliefs onto anyone else.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro (early 2013); Time Capsule 2TB (2011); iPhone 5 (32GB); Apple TV (3rd gen)
unobtainium is offline   6
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #336
laurim
macrumors 6502a
 
laurim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Minnesota USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Seriously, corporations should not take a stance on these things.
I like to know what companies have crap policies so I can choose not to buy their products. Like Chick Filet and Papa Johns and Walmart.
__________________
2013 MacPro, 8-core, 32 GB RAM; Two 17" 2011 MacBook Pros; 17" 2008 MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S; AppleTV 2; iPod nano; 3T Time Capsule; 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display
laurim is offline   3
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:28 PM   #337
jbellanca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by taeclee99 View Post
My prediction is that the Supreme Court in a narrow 5-4 decision will affirm Prop 8 on the basis that Marriage is a state issue not a federal one. Individual states will be left to determine what constitutes marriage.
There's two cases... Prop 8, and Section 3 of DOMA. DOMA most certainly is a Federal issue, as it's a Federal Law.
__________________
2013 Mac Mini, 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 15" MacBook Pro, iPad Air 64GB Wifi, iPad 64GB WiFi (3rd gen), iPhone 5s 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB, 3x Apple TV 3's
jbellanca is offline   2
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:29 PM   #338
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030
 
Gasu E.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Not far from Boston, MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Blount View Post
So since we are breaking this barrier, I can marry my dog now right?
Why not? You two are already married in all but name. Might as well make it official!

It's very brave of you to come out, though!
__________________
Please stop boring me.
Gasu E. is online now   1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:30 PM   #339
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppamac31 View Post
Tattoos I don't like mainly cause I think they are ugly and ruin the body. But multi fabric clothing I have no issue with.
http://bible.cc/deuteronomy/22-11.htm

I hope you realize you're going to hell.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro (early 2013); Time Capsule 2TB (2011); iPhone 5 (32GB); Apple TV (3rd gen)
unobtainium is offline   6
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 PM   #340
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurim View Post
So if someone makes a judgement that people born with dark skin are inferior to people with light skin and they should have fewer rights, that would be a-ok with you?
His thoughts have a genetic component to them and thats why racism and other forms of discrimination are acceptable because its natural. Eeek!!!

On another topic,

If being strait is genetic, why would being gay be any different? Ohh wait people were taught to be strait so it might not be natural...as others were trying to state earlier....the logic doesn't hold up because no one is taught to be gay.

Last edited by AdonisSMU; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
AdonisSMU is online now   1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 PM   #341
ImAlwaysRight
macrumors 6502a
 
ImAlwaysRight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
Dogs can not sign a marriage license.
But his dog obviously loves him. Isn't love enough?
ImAlwaysRight is offline   1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 PM   #342
jbellanca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with "workplace morale" and everything to do with the rights we have as Americans.
Thanks for your support, and I agree it has to do with basic rights as Americans. But it does also have to do with workplace morale, though that's minor in comparison. For example, I wouldn't even consider working for a company that didn't offer equal benefits, and equal treatment.
__________________
2013 Mac Mini, 15" MacBook Pro Retina, 15" MacBook Pro, iPad Air 64GB Wifi, iPad 64GB WiFi (3rd gen), iPhone 5s 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB, 3x Apple TV 3's
jbellanca is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #343
MattInOz
macrumors 68030
 
MattInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppamac31 View Post
My "misguided" belief rests in God's infallible perfect Word the Bible. From cover to cover the Bible is the Word of God. Not just Jesus words but the Bible as a whole. God is not "harming" His creation by condoning only heterosexual monogamous marriage. God (and there's only one) created the universe and therefore has full sovereign authority to tell us how it is to function.

Also two scripture references here explicitly state that homosexuality is sin.:
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksea...qs_version=ESV

Also here is a website page with many articles filled with scripture stating God's case against homosexuality. I know no one will be mature enough to read any of them but I thought I'd post it for fun.
http://www.monergism.com/directory/l...Homosexuality/
Ok so I only check about a dozen of the translations but only 3 of those contained the two passages of the linked version. one extra only contained one.

Not sure how you decide which is the infallible prefect word of god.
__________________
There is no such thing as "Collective Wisdom"
[ iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, 13" MacBookPro 2.7Ghz, 27"Al iMac i7, Black MacBook 13"]
MattInOz is offline   1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #344
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000
 
ThunderSkunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durango, Co
Companies lobby for their own self-interest all the time. It's nice to see some lobbying for the freedom & happiness of the people for a change.

Wow. Some of you people have some real issues.
ThunderSkunk is offline   4
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:35 PM   #345
Fatalbert
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
No. They are your god's rules. That's actually the big difference. You should not have the power to force your beliefs onto anyone else.
Fine, but gay rights organizations should not have the power to force their beliefs upon anyone else. Currently, they attempt to and do in some cases. For that, I vote NO on their cause, just because of that. Otherwise, I wouldn't vote either way.

If it becomes politically incorrect to refer to a generic man's "wife" rather than "spouse", that's when it's bad.
Fatalbert is offline   1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:37 PM   #346
highdough
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Too bad Apple has to be PC like most other big corporations. What if someone wants to marry two women, or a man wants to marry a woman and another man, or wants to marry his dog. Should we be supporting that too because it might affect his workplace morale?
No, it shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not it affects workplace morale. It should be completely because it's simply the right thing to do.

Why do gay marriage opponents always bring up polygamy and bestiality? They aren't the same. Bestiality, especially, which makes no sense since animals are not consenting adults. And these were the same arguments people made when opposing mixed race marriage.

People who are on the opposing side of this are going to look bad to future generations.

There is literally no decent argument against gay marriage.
highdough is offline   3
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:38 PM   #347
Fatalbert
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdough View Post
There is literally no decent argument against gay marriage.
Gay marriage being dictated by the government*
Fatalbert is offline   0
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:38 PM   #348
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Fine, but gay rights organizations should not have the power to force their beliefs upon anyone else. Currently, they attempt to and do in some cases. For that, I vote NO on their cause, just because of that. Otherwise, I wouldn't vote either way.
Gays are seeking the right to enter into a personal legal commitment between two individuals. Opponents are trying to stop this personal act from occurring. Therefore opponents of gay marriage the ones "forcing their beliefs" onto others. Isn't that obvious?

Churches wouldn't be forced to marry gay couples if they didn't want to. No one's rights are being trampled on. Unless you think that it is the "right" of conservative Christians to control everyone's actions. ?
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro (early 2013); Time Capsule 2TB (2011); iPhone 5 (32GB); Apple TV (3rd gen)
unobtainium is offline   6
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #349
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000
 
ThunderSkunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Durango, Co
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Fine, but gay rights organizations should not have the power to force their beliefs upon anyone else. Currently, they attempt to and do in some cases.
No one's trying to "turn you gay".

Unless by "forcing their beliefs on others", you mean, the belief that they shouldn't be oppressed. In which case... perhaps it's time you live by MY gods rules.

Oh wait, you already do.

Last edited by ThunderSkunk; Feb 26, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
ThunderSkunk is offline   2
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #350
jredecop
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
http://bible.cc/deuteronomy/22-11.htm

I hope you realize you're going to hell.
You may be kidding, not sure. But so many do this with the bible, you have to look at who God is speaking to during that time, He is speaking to the Israelites that He is leading out if Egypt. Not the whole world. And it was more of an obedience issue rather than not doing it just because.
jredecop is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pa. gov: Gay marriage is like marriage of siblings likemyorbs Politics, Religion, Social Issues 4 Oct 5, 2013 01:54 AM
Apple Wins Patent Dispute Against Mirror Worlds After U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Case MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 30 Jul 1, 2013 05:21 PM
Apple Issues Statement in Support of Supreme Court Gay Marriage Rulings MacRumors Politics, Religion, Social Issues 366 Jun 26, 2013 04:04 PM
Nevada Assemblyman Comes Out as Gay During Gay Marriage Debate bradl Politics, Religion, Social Issues 1 Apr 24, 2013 07:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC