Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
I tried...but I just couldn't stand just doing word processing and email. My poor G4 12" would even freeze after >30 min of quicktime. I'd have to wait for it to cool down for a bit before attempting to watch more. Also, my dual G5 was starting to slow down for normal tasks as well.

I just got the 13" i7. Loving every bit of it. I'll always cherish the memories of my PPCs. My first one was the G4 12" prototype (aunt was a PB project manager at Apple). My last was the dual core 2.3 G5. I've never had a PPC fail on me. My dad still has a PB 170. Apple used to build great things. I hope this new laptop is built well too.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
It was. I learned to repair computers on iMac G4's and iBook clamshells, after those I've never been intimated by a computer repair. lol Ok... I'm intimated by the new iMacs. :eek:

You mean you're intimidated, right?
Yeah, once you've repaired a compact Apple product such as an iPhone, or god forbid one of the more problematic PPC machines, all future repairs can seem like a walk in the park.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
You mean you're intimidated, right?
Yeah, once you've repaired a compact Apple product such as an iPhone, or god forbid one of the more problematic PPC machines, all future repairs can seem like a walk in the park.

The newer machines intimidate me, but older macbook's, MBP's, and iMac's are a walk in the park to me.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Wow, this thread is getting long in the tooth.. I intend to stay with PowerPC until its legs fall off..or until I can no longer, and I mean NO LONGER access the i-net.

But realistically, how long do we actually have before a G5 Quad or PowerBook G4 1.67 can no longer access the internet?

Troy598

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
I still use my 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 a lot. Mostly to heat up my workshop.
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
I still use my 2.0Ghz PowerMac G5 a lot. Mostly to heat up my workshop.ImageImageImageImage

you may want to fix your photos

----------

Wow, this thread is getting long in the tooth.. I intend to stay with PowerPC until its legs fall off..or until I can no longer, and I mean NO LONGER access the i-net.

But realistically, how long do we actually have before a G5 Quad or PowerBook G4 1.67 can no longer access the internet?

i've got $50 on macworld 2014

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
I sense my 12" PowerBook G4 will remain in duty as long as the new IDE drive keeps on tickin', if the internal HDD dies again I'll have to settle on an external FW400. AFAIK WD is the only HDD maker who still produces IDE drives, if/when they halt production it'll be risky to trust "used drives".
My old iMac G3 333mhz mainly collects dust, CRT seems to be nearing death so I may need to remount it into something like an iRack or ITX case :(

If anyone has replaced the HDD on a 12"/15"/17" PowerBook G4, you'll find the unibody MacBook Pros the peak of Apple notebook design... ~100 screws and a near-tear down for a PowerBook G4 isn't a fun job :eek:

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
I sense my 12" PowerBook G4 will remain in duty as long as the new IDE drive keeps on tickin', if the internal HDD dies again I'll have to settle on an external FW400. AFAIK WD is the only HDD maker who still produces IDE drives, if/when they halt production it'll be risky to trust "used drives".
My old iMac G3 333mhz mainly collects dust, CRT seems to be nearing death so I may need to remount it into something like an iRack or ITX case :(

If anyone has replaced the HDD on a 12"/15"/17" PowerBook G4, you'll find the unibody MacBook Pros the peak of Apple notebook design... ~100 screws and a near-tear down for a PowerBook G4 isn't a fun job :eek:

Oh come on, at this point the imac g3s are getting pretty damn near collectors items, please don't disown the ghost of Steven P. Jobs by mounting the guts of a g3 into a irack

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Well, my dual CPU G5 can still take any modern, USB 2.0 wireless card, the Airport card works fine, 10/100/1000 Ethernet works fine, as do the PCI slots for network cards, TenFourFox/WebKit handle ~99% of websites just fine and 95% about perfectly, nice and safely too with the use of Adblock _+ NoScript + Ghostery etc.

This is all running Leopard, too, as an experiment I got Lubuntu 12.04 onto a slightly older 1GHz eMac and it had no trouble automatically configuring DHCP when the internet connection was shared to it from my G5 tower through a switch over Ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.