Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
My iphone 4s that I got at the beginning of January, I had a weird moment and smelt the bottom of my iphone, where the charger slot is. It has a bizarre smell like not burning but a very prominent plastic smell, the end of the charger has this smell too.
My mothers ipad and her charger do not have this smell but are significantly older.

I've read a few threads of iphones magically combusting up into flames and thought I might ask.
Do your new iphones have this smell?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
All of the electronics I've bought tend to have this "new computer smell" for a while. So it's probably normal.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
All of the electronics I've bought tend to have this "new computer smell" for a while. So it's probably normal.
It's such a weird smell to be honest. I can't quite put my finger on it to describe it. But it's very strong when you put your nose right up to it.

I hope it's normal!

iRetired

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2012
WNY
Personally, I like the smell of leather. That's why I use a Sena leather pouch for my iPhone.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Ive only been on this forum for a few months but this is the weirdest thread ive come across.

With that said my iphone smells like plastic i guess.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Ooohhh haven't heard this one, Smell-Gate!

Am thinking traces of bio matter is between the contacts of the power feed pins, it's acting as a resistor and "burning" in the process. Attempt to clean. Surfaces of the phone is warm during charge is normal, but hot is not.

Last edited:

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Hmm, I've never though of sniffing my phone. If it smells weird, does that entitle me to a new one?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Umm...Smell...god, smell the lightning cable. Also the USB portion.

Smell like burnt plastic? If yes, get that cable (and the phone if Apple will let you) replaced.

I had a similar problem with my Jawbone Up and it's cord.

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Umm...Smell...god, smell the lightning cable. Also the USB portion.

Smell like burnt plastic? If yes, get that cable (and the phone if Apple will let you) replaced.

I had a similar problem with my Jawbone Up and it's cord.
Yes, the USB and the USB slot also smell like charging slot and end to it..

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
My iphone 4s that I got at the beginning of January, I had a weird moment and smelt the bottom of my iphone, where the charger slot is. It has a bizarre smell like not burning but a very prominent plastic smell, the end of the charger has this smell too.
My mothers ipad and her charger do not have this smell but are significantly older.

I've read a few threads of iphones magically combusting up into flames and thought I might ask.

Mine smells like victory

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Bring it to the Apple Store. No need to risk safety.

Do a backup of your iPhone before you go.
There are no apple stores in New Zealand.
There's not much I can do at this point apart from paying the express fee, which I also can't afford, not with school and all the other necessary things in my life, it actually took me a long time to save up for it after experiencing my mothers ipad and falling in love with iOS. But that was when I had time off school and other things and was able to afford it, and now I can't.

Should of thought about where I was buying the iphone from.. when I got it from the Apple NZ site I assumed there would be an apple store in NZ but turns out the Apple NZ base is in Sydney.

I would of bought it elsewhere if I knew this of course, but I was urged by a few other apple users to get it through Apple so I didn't hesitate. Also made the stupid mistake of not researching if the Apple store was infact in my country without my stupid assumption that it was, you see I tend to buy things online anyway since I don't really go out of my town, just to school, work and friends, so I didn't make myself clear by actually seeing if there was a store, dumb mistake I know.

When I splurged out all of my money on it, it came with a wobbly home button which I was quite OCD to at first but got over it. And when I tried to phone apple I couldn't do much being behind the phone, he'd shut me down everytime and go on and on about how I should buy applecare and when I said I couldn't afford it I got the "Oh" reply and he quickly ended the conversation, bad customer service. He also went on to telling me there is infact an apple factory in NZ I could take it to but he refused to tell me where it was or the postcode to find out where it was. He just told me to go to the 'find store' page and tap in random postcodes till I found it. Later after researching I found he was wrong. I think that was just his way of distracting me from the real point to get me off the phone.

So far my experiences with Apple have been terrible. But there is no doubt that I love this phone and android is measly is comparison (could be argued but this is my opinion)

John55455

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012

It's the fine smell of that chemical glass cleaner and/or glue that our Chinese friends breath in every day at the factory. Truly harmless. "Oh it's fine...you're not dizzy, just keep making them iPhones and remember your contract says NO suicide"

lalacharlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
It's the fine smell of that chemical glass cleaner and/or glue that our Chinese friends breath in every day at the factory. Truly harmless. "Oh it's fine...you're not dizzy, just keep making them iPhones and remember your contract says NO suicide"
It honestly smells kinda like oranges...
but I think it's just me.

When I first opened it was like a woosh of orange scent in my face, quickly the phone got covered up and then I had my weird moment and it smelt like plasticy orange weirdness and yeah.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
My old iPhone 4 always had a strong glue smell from its headphone port and inside of the SIM tray slot. It never went away after a year. I actually really liked it and used to sniff it rather a lot...

Disappointingly, my iPhone 5 doesn't smell at all. :(

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Oh crap you should definitely go to the Apple store and ask for an exchange. When they ask you why, tell them that the port connector smells.

Personally, I have a cold so I don't smell anything. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.