Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced the release of its Photoshop Touch application for the iPhone. Photoshop Touch is the mobile version of Adobe's well-known Photoshop software, designed to bring core Photoshop capabilities to iOS. Previously, the app was only available for the iPad.

Rather than making the iPad app universal, Adobe is offering Photoshop Touch for the iPhone for $4.99. It includes the same features found in the iPad version of the app, including layers, selection tools, adjustments, and filters. The app also comes bundled with access to Adobe Creative Cloud and 2GB of free storage.

photoshoptouchiphone.jpg
-Use popular Photoshop features, such as layers, selection tools, adjustments, and filters, to create mind-blowing images.

-Improve your photos using classic Photoshop features to bring out the best in your photography. Apply precise tone and color adjustments to your entire composition, a particular layer, or a select area.

-Create something other-worldly using painting effects, filter brushes, and so much more. With Photoshop Touch, the creative possibilities are endless.

-Make your images pop with graphical text. Apply strokes, add drop shadows and fades, and more.

-Take advantage of your device's camera to fill an area on a layer with the unique Camera Fill feature.

-Quickly combine images together. Select part of an image to extract just by scribbling with the Scribble Selection tool. With the Refine Edge feature, use your fingertip to easily capture hard-to-select image elements, like hair.

-Start a project on your iPhone or iPod Touch and finish it on your iPad* or back in Photoshop* at your desk using a free membership to Adobe Creative Cloud(TM).** Your projects are automatically synced between your devices.

-Free membership to Creative Cloud provides 2GB of cloud storage.

-Work on high-resolution images while maintaining the highest image quality. Images up to 12 megapixels are supported.
Adobe Photoshop Touch for the iPhone can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe's Photoshop Touch Now Available for iPhone

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
aaaand I just paid $9.99 for the iPad last night and I thought, man I wish I had this on the iPhone instead.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Too late. I searched for a real photo editor last month, and adobe had none for the iPhone, while their supposedly photo retouching apps were just useless toys. I found ArtStudio and bought it, because it has most features from a real photoshop.

I'm not going to give this "photoshop touch" a try, because Adobe is doing useless stuff now, and ArtStudio provides all I need

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Downloading now.

Amazing: a $700+ program (more or less) in the palm of my hand. Wow! :cool:

Update: not quite the $700 program. Not quite the $100 Photoshop Elements. Still, it's better than some of the other things I've used on either the iPhone or iPad over the years. $5 is a good price.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Adobe said they wanted to take the iPhone and iPad versions in different directions. I guess they have two teams working on them separately? Takes half the space of the iPad version anyway.

smatty007

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Germany
I already have bought the Snapseed and iPhoto App for iPad/iPhone. If Adobe would have made this an universal App, I would have even paid $9.99 for the iPad App for the rare occasions where PhotoShop would come in handy.

But you can hardly do serious photo retouching on an iPhone, so this iPhone app should be a "bonus" for buying the iPad app instead of spending another $4.99...

So I would suggest to get the free universal Snapseed App for good and quick retouching on the road and maybe add the universal iPhoto app for $4.99 instead of forking that money over to Adobe under the current pricing scheme...

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
WTH? This isn't universal? Seriously, this is f&&ked up!!

Oh the trauma $5 in software causes us these days :rolleyes: It's not like they promised a free iPhone update for people who bought the iPad version- now that would've been a little rude. Perhaps we should be happy they don't force the dev costs of the iPhone version by charging $15 for people ony interested in the iPad one.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I can't get all that worked up about forking over another $5. It's a great app and if we as iOS users want companies to develop decent software we gotta stop trying to freeload or have unreasonable expectations. It cost Adobe $ to downsize the app to the iPhone, so we should expect it to want to recoup and profit from that endeavor. $5 is not unreasonable given the power of of PS Touch and it's competition.

For those of you in the U.S. iTunes cards go on sale all the time, usually 20% off. If you are smart enough to stock up then it's only a $4 app -- a gallon of gas is more expensive, and that's only good for 20-30 miles.

----------

Does the App Store really need another photo editing app?

The marketplace will let us know, but I suspect PS Touch will be in the top 10 to 20 shortly, so, I guess the answer is yes.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
While the lack of universality is annoying, it is a good app - I really like Snapseed, but having things like text tools and layers is incredibly useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.