Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
themamba24
macrumors newbie

How can I reattach a port to my logic board?

I was attempting to remove my left speaker and its plug from the "SPK j6702" port(might not be the correct name) on my logic board when the entire port including the wire came off! Now there is an empty spot on the board and I desperately need to reattach the unit so I can still use my left speaker. any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED, thank you
themamba24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Yes, but unless you have experience with soldering, I don't recommend you try it. Instead find a electronics shop or friend that has experience in soldering small items.

---

If you insist on doing it yourself, buy; Perfboard, De-soldering braid, Thin rosin core solder, no clean flux pen, spool of wire the size of what your soldering and finally a soldering iron with a tip small enough to match what your working on.

Practice:
  • Soldering the spool of wire you bought to the perfboard.
  • Removing solder from the perfboard with the braid.
  • Tinning the tips of wire and then re-heating it to attach it to the perfboard.
  • Search YouTube for soldering tutorials.

Once you feel comfortable:
  1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Clean any old solder off the pads of the Motherboard and the connectors of the speaker jack with the braid.
  3. Use the flux pen on the pads of the motherboard and jack.
  4. Tin the pads on the motherboard.
  5. Re-attach the jack.
  6. Check to make sure you didn't accidently short anything by accidently soldering 2 pads together.

Note: Depending on how badly you messed up the jack, it may be necessary to solder the wires directly to the board.
Quad5Ny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Yeah, I didn't see that you put a whole practice routine prior to the actual soldering. Do as he (or she) said.

And use a spudger to hold the jack down the next time you want to disconnect those cables.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
themamba24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
Yes, but unless you have experience with soldering, I don't recommend you try it. Instead find a electronics shop or friend that has experience in soldering small items.

---

If you insist on doing it yourself, buy; Perfboard, De-soldering braid, Thin rosin core solder, no clean flux pen, spool of wire the size of what your soldering and finally a soldering iron with a tip small enough to match what your working on.

Practice:
  • Soldering the spool of wire you bought to the perfboard.
  • Removing solder from the perfboard with the braid.
  • Tinning the tips of wire and then re-heating it to attach it to the perfboard.
  • Search YouTube for soldering tutorials.

Once you feel comfortable:
  1. Disconnect the battery.
  2. Clean any old solder off the pads of the Motherboard and the connectors of the speaker jack with the braid.
  3. Use the flux pen on the pads of the motherboard and jack.
  4. Tin the pads on the motherboard.
  5. Re-attach the jack.
  6. Check to make sure you didn't accidently short anything by accidently soldering 2 pads together.

Note: Depending on how badly you messed up the jack, it may be necessary to solder the wires directly to the board.
THANK you SOO MUCH, im going to go to a shop today or tomorrow. However I was curious if a missing left speaker jack/port/connection to the logic board would prevent the entire computer from starting? I dis-assembled my macbook and after the port broke off I still went ahead and put everything back together and when I started it up it beeped repeatedly with short pauses between the beeps, is this because of the broken port, or errors in my reassembly?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

What Model and year is your MacBook?

Either you did something wrong or there was more than just a speaker connected to that port. How many wires were there? Because speakers only have two.
Quad5Ny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:34 PM   #6
themamba24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
What Model and year is your MacBook?

Either you did something wrong or there was more than just a speaker connected to that port. How many wires were there? Because speakers only have two.
I have a 2009 basic macbook. And it was just the two speaker wires so I'm guessing it was my reassembly. does the repeated and continuous beeping (1 beep every 3.5 seconds continuously) indicate what went wrong with my re-assembly?.

Also on a general level, the reason why I disassembled my 2009 mac book was so I could replace the LCD (cracked) with the LCD screen of my 2006 macbook which I dont currently use.

(I now realize that I shouldn't have even touched the logic board in the swap but that's not relevant at this point).

Now that I have reassembled both with the swapped screens my 2006 mac book starts up fine but with nothing on the screen (the 2009 cracked LCD) and my 2009 mac book (with 2006 LCD) won't start up altogether and just has the repetitive beeps/flashing light.
1) Should my screen swap even work in the first place?
if it should work: 2) Why would the 2006 macbook start up yet have a black screen?

Once again I cannot thank you enough for all of the help you have provided me!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
MathiasMM
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by themamba24 View Post
I have a 2009 basic macbook. And it was just the two speaker wires so I'm guessing it was my reassembly. does the repeated and continuous beeping (1 beep every 3.5 seconds continuously) indicate what went wrong with my re-assembly?.

Also on a general level, the reason why I disassembled my 2009 mac book was so I could replace the LCD (cracked) with the LCD screen of my 2006 macbook which I dont currently use.

(I now realize that I shouldn't have even touched the logic board in the swap but that's not relevant at this point).

Now that I have reassembled both with the swapped screens my 2006 mac book starts up fine but with nothing on the screen (the 2009 cracked LCD) and my 2009 mac book (with 2006 LCD) won't start up altogether and just has the repetitive beeps/flashing light.
1) Should my screen swap even work in the first place?
if it should work: 2) Why would the 2006 macbook start up yet have a black screen?

Once again I cannot thank you enough for all of the help you have provided me!
Looks like it's a memory problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538
MathiasMM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:31 PM   #8
themamba24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasMM View Post
Looks like it's a memory problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2538
That's what it seems but I don't know because I tried using the RAM from my 2006 mac and the beep was still there.
EDIT: The link you provided me was for iMacs not macbooks, but still if you/anyone knows what the repeating beep with a few seconds in between the beeps means for a 2009 macbook, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'm curious if the 1 beep repeating can indicate anything other than RAM because the RAM was working fine before my screen swap for both of my macbooks. Or could my transfer have damaged the RAM?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help