Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
CeratixD
macrumors newbie

Question Ipod Touch 5G 64GB + Smartphone vs Iphone 5

Hi, I need some advice in my next purchase. I have 8GB of music always with me , I like to take a lot pictures and record video anywhere. I need a device with a good battery support. I used to have an Iphone 4 16GB and it was my only device for everything (internet, FB, whatsapp, music, apps, video and photos), but the problem was the iphone battery, it drains very fast!

Which device do you recomend me? The Ipod Touch 5g 64 GB + Maybe a Qwerty Phone only for Whatsapp, Phone Calls and Text SMS or and Iphone 5?
CeratixD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

iphone 5 + mophie juice pack air if the phone features are very important to you. The Mophie case will beef up the battery life.

If you don't want to pay the monthly toll for a full iPhone and are willing to make some sacrifices of anywhere/anytime phone service (unless you are around wifi for much of your day)...

iPad Mini with LTE if you could get by on VOIP apps for voice, texting, etc if you will need 3G/4G service some of the time.

iPod Touch if you could get by on VOIP apps for voice, texting, etc and are around wifi for much of your day.

If you are willing to carry 2 separate devices...

iPod Touch + a Mifi device if you want iPhone-like pocketability but will need 3G/4G service some of the time. Mifi should be smaller & lighter vs. carrying a separate "dumb" phone.

iPod Touch + "dumb" phone.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Feb 25, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeratixD View Post
Hi, I need some advice in my next purchase. I have 8GB of music always with me , I like to take a lot pictures and record video anywhere. I need a device with a good battery support. I used to have an Iphone 4 16GB and it was my only device for everything (internet, FB, whatsapp, music, apps, video and photos), but the problem was the iphone battery, it drains very fast!

Which device do you recomend me? The Ipod Touch 5g 64 GB + Maybe a Qwerty Phone only for Whatsapp, Phone Calls and Text SMS or and Iphone 5?
I recommend whatever fits your needs. Which would you rather have on you. Simple.
617aircav is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

The answer is already in the question.

Stand alone phone will drain battery crazy to you are a photo and video addict. Not to mention you have 8 GB of music which will only increase. Iphone 5 64Gb can be expensive compare to IPT.

Get a cheap BB phone for whatspp and i doubt the touch 5 will add much bulk even if you carry 2 devices.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:52 AM   #5
Nighttracker
macrumors member

Quote:

I'm running a cheap little Nokia C3-01 phone with a $38 (cdn) plan that gives me unlimited evening calling, 150mb data, 10 favorite numbers etc... then I carry my iPod Touch 5G with me for pictures, music, video etc... With this combination I can tether both devices easily and check mail, twitter, FB etc... anywhere I like. I find this is a great little setup and I don't mind carrying 2 devices.
Nighttracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
CeratixD
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post

Stand alone phone will drain battery crazy to you are a photo and video addict. Not to mention you have 8 GB of music which will only increase. Iphone 5 64Gb can be expensive compare to IPT.

Get a cheap BB phone for whatspp and i doubt the touch 5 will add much bulk even if you carry 2 devices.

Good one! A BB phone are very useful. I used to have a BB Torch 9810 and it was a very looking good phone with good battery. Maybe I will buy a BB Torch 9810 and Ipod Touch 5g 64GB until the BB Q10 release.

Can I use the BB phone as a modem?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttracker View Post
I'm running a cheap little Nokia C3-01 phone with a $38 (cdn) plan that gives me unlimited evening calling, 150mb data, 10 favorite numbers etc... then I carry my iPod Touch 5G with me for pictures, music, video etc... With this combination I can tether both devices easily and check mail, twitter, FB etc... anywhere I like. I find this is a great little setup and I don't mind carrying 2 devices.
What about the picture quality of the Ipod Touch 5G. Is it good?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:25 PM   #7
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Good one! A BB phone are very useful. I used to have a BB Torch 9810 and it was a very looking good phone with good battery. Maybe I will buy a BB Torch 9810 and Ipod Touch 5g 64GB until the BB Q10 release.

Can I use the BB phone as a modem?

----------

What about the picture quality of the Ipod Touch 5G. Is it good?
It's not as good as the 5 but way better than the previous iPod touch.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Nighttracker
macrumors member

For taking simple photos and video of daily doings I find its not bad at all, if the lighting is good.
For better photos I still use my canon.
Nighttracker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:31 AM   #9
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post

I support racoonboy's suggestion, the thread-starter should go with this if he can.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:25 AM   #10
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Are videos shot with the Touch 5 the same quality as the iP5. I ask because I can't see the 8mp vs 5mp camera being relevant for movies as a lot of data must be thrown away.

I'd like to get a definitive answer, if anyone knows for sure.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Peter Chao
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 is the bomb. A6 processor.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:05 AM   #12
matneh
macrumors member

I did this for 6 years, since the iPod Touch Gen 1. I carried a Blackberry and an iPod Touch everywhere. It was fine, but frustrating when I wanted to use the internet for anything.

Now I replaced those 2 devices with 1 iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier. Fewer devices to charge, fewer pockets to juggle, great web experience, all information in 1 device simplifies everything. It has a faster processor than the Touch, better display, better camera. I have a mophie helium battery pack if my juice is running low, but I try to keep it plugged in wherever I am (office, car) so there are rarely any times that I need to use it.

I can't imagine going back to having 2 devices now.
matneh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:33 PM   #13
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by matneh View Post
I did this for 6 years, since the iPod Touch Gen 1. I carried a Blackberry and an iPod Touch everywhere. It was fine, but frustrating when I wanted to use the internet for anything.

Now I replaced those 2 devices with 1 iPhone 5 and I couldn't be happier. Fewer devices to charge, fewer pockets to juggle, great web experience, all information in 1 device simplifies everything. It has a faster processor than the Touch, better display, better camera. I have a mophie helium battery pack if my juice is running low, but I try to keep it plugged in wherever I am (office, car) so there are rarely any times that I need to use it.

Yep its a pain.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
CeratixD
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matneh View Post

How much time does the Mophine Helium Battery adds to the Iphone 5? I guess that the Iphone 5 battery capacity is about 6 - 7 hours, doesnt it?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
matneh
macrumors member

About 60% additional battery for the helium.
matneh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #16
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Mophie just rolled out the juice pack version which apparently adds even more battery time. It was just posted as news on this site a couple of days ago.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch