Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:34 AM   #26
js81
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Straight Talk does offer the 4S. I see it listed @ iphone.straightalk.com.
Ahhh! Note to self: Check info AGAIN before posting. I looked a couple weeks ago for a friend and only saw the 4 and 5. Is this a recent change?

Regardless, whew, $549 for a 4S is a TON of money, but if the OP was going to pay $449 for a 4, then the extra $100 is well spent IMHO.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:19 AM   #27
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterheath33 View Post
I agree with my parents that the contract prices are WAY too expensive.
Verizon's contract prices aren't bad if you're on a family plan with 5 phones. Otherwise, it's cheaper to go with Straight Talk.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by js81 View Post
whew, $549 for a 4S is a TON of money.
That's the normal price that Apple charges.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:50 PM   #28
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by js81 View Post
Ahhh! Note to self: Check info AGAIN before posting. I looked a couple weeks ago for a friend and only saw the 4 and 5. Is this a recent change?

Regardless, whew, $549 for a 4S is a TON of money, but if the OP was going to pay $449 for a 4, then the extra $100 is well spent IMHO.
I would never buy any phone that has been updated by another model from any carrier. Can get the same phone brand new on eBay for hundreds less. My 4s cost me 210 used.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:00 AM   #29
js81
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
I would never buy any phone that has been updated by another model from any carrier. Can get the same phone brand new on eBay for hundreds less. My 4s cost me 210 used.
I agree, but the OP can't use an AT&T 4S and to use ST with a CDMA iPhone, you have to get it from ST itself.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:24 AM   #30
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
But that's because you're special.

It is irrelevant that you bought a used 4S for $210. We're talking about new phones here. It takes diligence and an investment of time to track down a brand new iPhone on eBay that is "hundreds less".

And what service are you using that 4S on? Straight Talk? If so, then you had to jump through some hoops to get MMS working. And you still don't have a voicemail indicator unless you jailbroke it and installed an add-on app.

There is definitely "value add" to buying a Straight Talk iPhone from Walmart. In your specialness you may not feel that the value added is worth the additional cost, but to act like buying a Straight Talk iPhone from Walmart is no different than buying a used iPhone from eBay/craigslist and cobbling it to get it fully functional on Straight Talk is pure nonsense.

I have an AT&T iPhone on Straight Talk. I'm a techie, so getting things working was not a problem, but I would never recommend this route to just anybody.
sracer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:36 AM   #31
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Sracer, what's your experience with straight talks data caps?

I currently have a Verizon iPhone 4S and my contract is up. I'm wanting to buy an iPhone 5, but toying with the idea of buying the iPhone 5 outright from Walmart and going on straight talk.

I have terribly slow Verizon signal where I live and where I work, but I still manage to use between 3-3.5 gb of data a month. I live in an Internet black hole in the middle of the Southern California desert so I am force to use one of those broadband hotspots as my home Internet too, so wifi isn't really an option to offset data use. I'm worried about the data caps an getting my service cancelled or severely slowed down, that's the only thing that's keeping me from going ahead and buying the iPhone 5 from Walmart and the year of straight talk service.

Just last week I bought an iPhone 4 for my mom from Walmart on straight talk and I've done multiple speed net tests and while my Verizon iPhone only downloads between .15 - .5 mb hers is downloading at between 1.5 - and 2 mb. So I'm guessing their phones are still running off of AT&T towers in my area.

The only thing keeping me on Verizon is my unlimited data so either way, straight talk or Verizon, I'm going to have to pay full price for my phone to keep "unlimited" data. And either way, it's going to be slow as ****. With Verizon, from the getgo and with straight talk, after 2gb. I don't mind being slowed down after 2gb, I just don't want my phone to actually be turned off.

I am in a pickle. I need some advice!
fizz7283 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:48 AM   #32
Cisaman69
macrumors newbie

If you get service with sprint I would go with virgin mobile.you can get a iPhone 4 350 dollars
Cisaman69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:34 AM   #33
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz7283 View Post
Just last week I bought an iPhone 4 for my mom from Walmart on straight talk and I've done multiple speed net tests and while my Verizon iPhone only downloads between .15 - .5 mb hers is downloading at between 1.5 - and 2 mb. So I'm guessing their phones are still running off of AT&T towers in my area.
I don't think Walmart has ever sold an AT&T Straight Talk iPhone, just SIM cards. Does her iPhone 4 have a SIM card slot? If not, it's using Verizon's network.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:49 AM   #34
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterheath33 View Post
Because the iPhone runs off of verizon towers. Maybe I'll get the iPhone 4S. But I can't buy a used one since it will run of AT&T or tmobile, both of which don't get service at my house. ONLY VERIZON DOES!!!
People sell used Verizon 4s too
I would buy a used 4s, then use PagePlus or Talk For Good. Both use Verizon and allow iPhone 4/s.
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:00 AM   #35
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't think Walmart has ever sold an AT&T Straight Talk iPhone, just SIM cards. Does her iPhone 4 have a SIM card slot? If not, it's using Verizon's network.
Ahh, negative. Her 3GS on straight talk was an AT&T one and they told us that all of their smart phones used AT&T towers while the dumb phones used Verizon towers. So that's why I assumed her iPhone 4 was still running on AT&T towers.

So why in the hell would her data connection be so much faster on an iPhone 4 than on my iPhone 4S? My billing cycle just started again on the 22nd so there should be no reason I should already have been throttled on my data speeds already.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 AM   #36
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ahh, negative. Her 3GS on straight talk was an AT&T one and they told us that all of their smart phones used AT&T towers while the dumb phones used Verizon towers. So that's why I assumed her iPhone 4 was still running on AT&T towers.

So why in the hell would her data connection be so much faster on an iPhone 4 than on my iPhone 4S? My billing cycle just started again on the 22nd so there should be no reason I should already have been throttled on my data speeds already.
Walmart sold you a Straight Talk iPhone 3GS with an AT&T SIM in it? I've never heard of that before.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:54 AM   #37
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

No, this was long before straight talk even sold iPhones. Long before you could even buy their SIM cards for the BYOD plans. I actually had to buy a Nokia phone to get the SIM card for the 3GS, unlock it and all that jazz. But later on when I was buyin androids for my nephews a straight talk rep told me that all of their smart phones are used on AT&T towers.

I know the 3GS was an AT&T phone because I had used it on AT&T. Maybe the rep just didn't know what they were talking about though. Seems common with straight talk lol
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:10 PM   #38
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, this was long before straight talk even sold iPhones. Long before you could even buy their SIM cards for the BYOD plans. I actually had to buy a Nokia phone to get the SIM card for the 3GS, unlock it and all that jazz. But later on when I was buyin androids for my nephews a straight talk rep told me that all of their smart phones are used on AT&T towers.

I know the 3GS was an AT&T phone because I had used it on AT&T. Maybe the rep just didn't know what they were talking about though. Seems common with straight talk lol
OK. Now we're on the same page about the 3GS. If you walk into Walmart today and buy a Straight Talk iPhone then it will use Verizon 3G.

What's the story behind your mom's iPhone 4?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 PM   #39
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
OK. Now we're on the same page about the 3GS. If you walk into Walmart today and buy a Straight Talk iPhone then it will use Verizon 3G.

What's the story behind your mom's iPhone 4?
I just bought it for her birthday on the 17th, at Walmart. The data speeds on her phone are much much faster than my Verizon iPhone 4S and I'm just wondering why? It makes no sense to me. Even at the beginning of my billing cycle when my speeds should be at their highest.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:05 PM   #40
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just bought it for her birthday on the 17th, at Walmart. The data speeds on her phone are much much faster than my Verizon iPhone 4S and I'm just wondering why? It makes no sense to me. Even at the beginning of my billing cycle when my speeds should be at their highest.
OK, so you never put a SIM in your mom's iPhone 4? The speeds you're referring to for her phone seem normal for Verizon 3G and yours seem extra low.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:14 PM   #41
NewAnger
Banned

Wal-Mart is currently selling the iPhone 5 on Straight Talk. It uses the Verizon Network.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:45 PM   #42
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
OK, so you never put a SIM in your mom's iPhone 4? The speeds you're referring to for her phone seem normal for Verizon 3G and yours seem extra low.
No, I didn't. Mine are extra low =( damn throttling.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 07:06 AM   #43
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, I didn't. Mine are extra low =( damn throttling.
Are you able to get speeds close to what your mom is seeing when you're not throttled? It sounds like you're either using a crazy amount of data with Verizon to get throttled (I don't know anything about their throttling policy TBH) or that there is something wrong that they should fix.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:12 PM   #44
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Are you able to get speeds close to what your mom is seeing when you're not throttled? It sounds like you're either using a crazy amount of data with Verizon to get throttled (I don't know anything about their throttling policy TBH) or that there is something wrong that they should fix.
I use a lot of data. I actually checked my data usage for the last six months and it was between 3-6 gigs. Even at the beginning of our billing cycle my 3G data speeds are really slow.

I just bought an iPhone 5 at full price and it looks as if they reset my data on the Verizon website so my 3G speeds at home are at around 1.5 mb/s and LTE at work is around 6-8mb/s depending on signal strength.

I guess I'll see how long this lasts lol
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:17 PM   #45
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I use a lot of data. I actually checked my data usage for the last six months and it was between 3-6 gigs. Even at the beginning of our billing cycle my 3G data speeds are really slow.

I just bought an iPhone 5 at full price and it looks as if they reset my data on the Verizon website so my 3G speeds at home are at around 1.5 mb/s and LTE at work is around 6-8mb/s depending on signal strength.

I guess I'll see how long this lasts lol
From what I've read LTE is cheaper per bit (more efficient tech) for the operators, so they let you use more compared to 3G before throttling.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:52 PM   #46
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
From what I've read LTE is cheaper per bit (more efficient tech) for the operators, so they let you use more compared to 3G before throttling.
I sure hope so because where I live our only option for home Internet is a broadband modem from Verizon and we have unlimited 3G on it so its always throttled too. So I'm limited to that and my phone, I usually use my phone. It would be great if I could use a little more data on my phone before it's throttled.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:00 AM   #47
jetreader84
macrumors newbie

Straight talk micro sim card??

I have an AT&T iphone 4 that I'd like to put on Straight Talk, but I can't figure out how to do it without buying a micro sim off ebay for about $60 (4x the price of a T-Mobile card, which I can't use).

Anybody have an idea where I can get an AT&T compatible micro-sim for a reasonable price?

Thanks.
jetreader84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:14 AM   #48
Val-kyrie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sracer, what's your experience with straight talks data caps?

I currently have a Verizon iPhone 4S and my contract is up. I'm wanting to buy an iPhone 5, but toying with the idea of buying the iPhone 5 outright from Walmart and going on straight talk.

I have terribly slow Verizon signal where I live and where I work, but I still manage to use between 3-3.5 gb of data a month. I live in an Internet black hole in the middle of the Southern California desert so I am force to use one of those broadband hotspots as my home Internet too, so wifi isn't really an option to offset data use. I'm worried about the data caps an getting my service cancelled or severely slowed down, that's the only thing that's keeping me from going ahead and buying the iPhone 5 from Walmart and the year of straight talk service.

The only thing keeping me on Verizon is my unlimited data so either way, straight talk or Verizon, I'm going to have to pay full price for my phone to keep "unlimited" data. And either way, it's going to be slow as ****. With Verizon, from the getgo and with straight talk, after 2gb. I don't mind being slowed down after 2gb, I just don't want my phone to actually be turned off.

I am in a pickle. I need some advice!
I am curious what happened. I am in the same boat now. ... I am at the end of my contract with an unlimited data plan and am considering waiting for the 5s in the fall or possibly a lower cost iPhone depending on specs. Still, I am debating between staying with Verizon or moving to ST.
Val-kyrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:07 AM   #49
Satnam1989
Banned

AT&T's got a new GoPhone Prepaid plan...IMHO its a Straight talk killer...with LTE access...doesnt get better: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1599878
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #50
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val-kyrie View Post
I am curious what happened. I am in the same boat now. ... I am at the end of my contract with an unlimited data plan and am considering waiting for the 5s in the fall or possibly a lower cost iPhone depending on specs. Still, I am debating between staying with Verizon or moving to ST.
I've had no problems with data caps on ST... but I don't use 3-5GB of data a month either. If someone needs that type of capacity then there is no loophole short of paying for a true unlimited plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
AT&T's got a new GoPhone Prepaid plan...IMHO its a Straight talk killer...with LTE access...doesnt get better: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1599878
The only way that it can be considered a ST killer is if 4G/LTE is needed. I'm paying $45/month on Straight Talk for unlimited talk/text/data.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
deal, iphone, straight, talk, walmart