Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:39 AM   #1
yukon55
macrumors newbie

Need help! Unable to log into OS X

my little brother had changed the password to my account and now i cant log on i have tried the codes for the single user, but that created a new account and i dont want that is there any other way to do it.

KCCO!
yukon55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Kill your brother first.

If you have iCloud and you saved it there you can get it out, although I believe that if one is reset it will be reset on iCloud as well, if it wasn't connected it won't but most computers are always connected so you are probably out of luck.
That's a reason to always enable root user, you then can get into there and solve the problem.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon55 View Post
my little brother had changed the password to my account and now i cant log on i have tried the codes for the single user, but that created a new account and i dont want that is there any other way to do it.

KCCO!
If you have Mountain Lion or Lion, command-r boot to Recovery HD, then launch Terminal from the utilities menu. Now type in resetpassword and select your account then enter a new password.

If you are still on Snow Leopard you can do the same thing by booting from the install DVD.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
yukon55
macrumors newbie

when i goto change the password it asks me for the old password and i dont know what it is, is there a way around that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 7.13.16 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	400014  
yukon55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon55 View Post
when i goto change the password it asks me for the old password and i dont know what it is, is there a way around that?
You missed a step in my note. You need to shut down the machine then restart and while it is starting hold down the keys command-r (both at the same time). Then once the recovery screen comes up launch Terminal from the Utilities menu and type "resetpassword"

What you did was type reset password from Terminal while you are logged in to your account. Not the same thing.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X