Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Critically acclaimed strategy game "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" is headed to the Mac in a few months, Feral Interactive announced today. The popular strategy game is coming in a special "Elite Edition", which includes previously released add-on content.

xcomenemyunknown.jpg
The Mac release of "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" is the "Elite Edition", and contains all previously released add-on content and updates. "XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition" includes the Slingshot and Elite Soldier Pack add-on content, as well as the Second Wave update, which includes a series of gameplay modifiers that add further depth and flexibility to the campaign.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a re-imagining of 1994's classic strategy game "X-COM: UFO Defense", was developed by Firaxis and published by 2K Games for PC and consoles.

In the game, players lead secret government organization XCOM to defend the world against aliens. Players oversee base management in addition to combat strategies while maintaining relationships with countries to fund their organization and save the world.

Although there are no pricing, system requirements or multiplayer details at the moment, Feral says that they will be revealed as the release date draws closer.

Article Link: Strategy Game 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Coming to Mac This Spring

Rocketpilot

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Ugh

I'm probably going to buy this again like a sucker, because I bought the Windows version on Steam to run in Basecamp and it's NEVER been able to run for more than 4 or 5 minutes without hard crashing the entire computer.

Apparently you can "patch your bios" to correct this. ARG.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
This was a great game, it was even better the second time at 2880x1800.

Still doesnt support what windows does....

Most higher end games likes this use DirectX initially so it's really not that surprising.

Last edited:

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Still doesnt support what windows does....

What does the Windows version support that the Mac version won't?

I'm probably going to buy this again like a sucker, because I bought the Windows version on Steam to run in Basecamp and it's NEVER been able to run for more than 4 or 5 minutes without hard crashing the entire computer.

You said "Basecamp" - did you mean Bootcamp or something else? I have XCOM EU for the PC but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I didn't know Macs let you patch the BIOS (didn't even know they had a BIOS).

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
STELLAR game. I was a big fan of the original on the Amiga, and this is a great edition / addition to the franchise. There are aspects of the gameplay that are simplified, but it's nearly all there.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
What does the Windows version support that the Mac version won't?

Nothing, that was just a useless troll post that did nothing but state the obvious. (Windows still has a much larger install base, of course it has more games, duh.)

--Eric

SupadudeX

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006

Runs just fine in my bootcamp partition.

Byron425

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Works on bootcamp for 27" iMac

I got it to work great on Bootcamp. I'm on a 2012 iMac. I'm running Steam on Windows 7. I even found a guide to help me install Bootcamp on my 3TB HD, without having to partition my drive three ways:

http://dice.neko-san.net/2012/12/how-to-install-boot-camp-on-a-3tb-fusion-drive-mac/

Went through all that trouble, and now it's going to be available directly for Mac, lol! Figures ;)

Oh we'll... I'm not complaining.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Seriously. Why couldn't they have gotten Aspyr?

Ugh. I hate Feral so much.

Feral's ports are better than Aspyr's, so as long as this still has Mac/PC multiplayer, I'm happy.

Anyway, I think we'll see Feral games on Steam before too long, since Valve's terms changed (and they are on Origin.)

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada

Ran fine on my iMac, 2011.

But it's too little too late ... I wonder how much are actually going to purchase the Mac port.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Hmm, why does not being on Steam make you not interested? I mean, I use Steam, but it's really just a convenience.

Convenience and idiot-proofness.

I have games on Steam that I bought OVER ten years ago, before Steam was even a thing. I can download those to any computer that I own or have access to and play any time I want. I don't have to worry about keeping copies in case the company goes out of business or they decide to no longer maintain their content servers. I don't have to worry about keeping activation keys, etc.

With Steam, I can install a game, play it for three days, delete the game when I need the space two weeks later, then eight months later, when I have a hankering to play some video games (on a new machine no less), I can load up my Steam library and play that game.

If this were on the Mac App store, I would consider it but I pretty much don't deal with games that aren't on Steam.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Steam is simply the trusted standard. Weird Mac-only port shops? Not the trusted standard. Thus the gravitation toward Steam.

Also Stream is where everyone's 200+ game library is and where everyone's friends are.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Convenience and idiot-proofness.

I have games on Steam that I bought OVER ten years ago, before Steam was even a thing. I can download those to any computer that I own or have access to and play any time I want. I don't have to worry about keeping copies in case the company goes out of business or they decide to no longer maintain their content servers. I don't have to worry about keeping activation keys, etc.

Well, if Valve ever went out of business, you'd be screwed because all Steam games are protected by Steam's DRM. That probably won't happen, but stranger things have occurred in the gaming world. I have games on my hard drive I bought 20 years ago; I don't need Steam for that. But to each their own!

Ibjr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2002
Eastern seaboard
Well, if Valve ever went out of business, you'd be screwed because all Steam games are protected by Steam's DRM. That probably won't happen, but stranger things have occurred in the gaming world. I have games on my hard drive I bought 20 years ago; I don't need Steam for that. But to each their own!

Is this a joke? Valve is a privately held company that is making around 400 million a year off of steam. How would it magically go out of business?

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Yeah, Valve basically prints money. They also don't need to answer to shareholders, so they tend to have extremely consumer-friendly policies. If they ever went under they'd make your games available to download one last time. That's safe to assume. Feral's website? Not so safe.

Valve is the undisputed king. Steam is the Michael Jordan of being Michael Jordan. Bow down and swear fealty to our Lord and Savior Gaben, for most righteous and knife-possessing is he. Repent your transgressions against The Beard lest you be forced into Origin-only bondage for the rest of your days. For he is the Truth, the Light and the Way; the salvation of mankind and the protector of all things queso. Behold.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Steam is simply the trusted standard. Weird Mac-only port shops? Not the trusted standard. Thus the gravitation toward Steam.

Also Stream is where everyone's 200+ game library is and where everyone's friends are.

Not to mention that it might be "free" for those who already purchased the Windows version on Steam. Any info on that yet?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, Valve basically prints money. They also don't need to answer to shareholders, so they tend to have extremely consumer-friendly policies. If they ever went under they'd make your games available to download one last time. That's safe to assume. Feral's website? Not so safe.

I stopped trusting Valve after they never finished HL2:Episode Three. :mad:

But basically, a game with no DRM I can archive how I see fit forever is better to me than a game with DRM from a benign game dictator. I don't need the "cloud" to keep backups for me. Obviously Valve is not going under soon, but don't kid yourself -- Valve operates in Valve's best financial interests.

Anyway, Steam, not-Steam, I don't really care. Just glad XCOM is coming to OS X!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Already bought the game, so if its not on steam as a steamplay title, im not paying Full SRRP + apple Tax to buy it again.

Bootcamp a-hoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.