Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm insulted that u guys weren't pissed at apple for selling this as an iOS 6 feature !!!!!!!!

Seriously a feature !!!!!?!?!?!!?!!

Don't get mad at Samsung - get mad at apple !!

Are you suggesting that because "Passbook" is an app that it's not a feature of iOS? That's your ignorance speaking. Clearly, the app is just the front-facing UI, but the Passbook functionality itself goes deep into the OS. Other developers can tie into its API.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
Is it just me or do these Samsung presentations seem to get more dull each time? :rolleyes: Nothing can compete with the way Apple presents. :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I use it at Starbucks and I don't like how it's not instant updates on balance or here is the breakdown of your order.

It's pretty basic.

Movies ? I don't go to those but that's nice. Do you use Siri for movie purchases too which seems really dumb?

I have never used siri for the purchases, but fandango paired with passbook works great. They recently fixed the starbucks passbook so it does update...at least it did 3 days ago when I went.

I use to have to delete the old card and add a new one

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
You understand that one is an announced product that people saw and one was in a lab that no one saw?
And you point is? It does not matter if the public saw it or not. The prototype proves that Apple was working on it before 2007 and before the release of the Prada device with a "skin".

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And you point is? It does not matter if the public saw it or not. The prototype proves that Apple was working on it before 2007 and before the release of the Prada device with a "skin".

The comparison is often brought out to illustrate that Apple didn't copy. Or worse - that the Prada was a copy. If that wasn't the purpose - then I misspoke. But my point was simply that the whole who copied who or who was first with a full screen (no keyboard) phone is silly. There were at least 3 major phone manufacturers working on similar devices. None of them copying each other because that was quite frankly where the industry was heading.

Note: I am not commenting on how they worked/what OS was better/worse/etc. Just that the form factor itself was a natural progression. So much so - like I said - that THREE major manufacturers were already "there"

celavato

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2005
Samsung never copies!
/sarcasm

Well, Samsung definitely didn't copy Forstall's slick presentation that's for sure -- lots of "ums" in that demo and a shadow on the screen. Maybe it's harder to present an app in a professional manner than copy it? ;)

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Are you suggesting that because "Passbook" is an app that it's not a feature of iOS? That's your ignorance speaking. Clearly, the app is just the front-facing UI, but the Passbook functionality itself goes deep into the OS. Other developers can tie into its API.

You talk to your momma with that mouth?

Guess what - devs don't even care.

Go back to your apple lovin

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
And they get sued for billions. And they lose.

But it's worth it (for them) because they've crushed all other Android handset makers.
Samsung's total marketing budget for 2012 was $12 billion.
What's $1.05 billion in damages compared to that? Not much.

Samsung’s sky-high marketing budget may be crimping its smartphones’ profitability:
http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-sky-high-marketing-budget-may-crimping-smartphones-234141754.html

Chart of the Day: Samsung's galactic marketing budget:
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/29/samsung-galaxy-apple-marketing/

The cost of selling Galaxies (original article):
http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

When Apple pulls out 100% of their manufacturing and materials contract worth over $8 billion, that $12 billion won't be that impressive, especially to shareholders.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Never understood the mind of a fan boy , surely we as consumers shouldn't even worry/care as long as we get the best of technology? Wy should we care about companies who make billions of dollars from the little guy?

Let them worry about it and stop getting out nickers twisted.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
This one will make the last lawsuit of $1.05 Billion look like child's play.

Samsung wont end up paying anywhere near $1 billion, if anything at all. It was a bias trial and there will be an appeal.

Anyway, you make it sound like Apples going to sue, because of this app. As it appears you have inside knowledge, what are they suing for?

Andreu

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
Well, Samsung definitely didn't copy Forstall's slick presentation that's for sure -- lots of "ums" in that demo and a shadow on the screen. Maybe it's harder to present an app in a professional manner than copy it? ;)

Well let's face it.. How can anyone present something professionally when they didn't build it?
Samsung used to be leader, when they made the best LCD panels when everyone else is using CRT.
Now, they are The Leader in copying others - Apple.
shameless..

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Not surprising that Samsung would copy the model if its one that is gaining adoption in the industry. I still question the actual adoption rate of Apple's passbook anyway - but that's another matter.

But yes- Samsung is clearly copying and putting their own spin on Apple's passbook.

I always use Passbook, mostly at Starbucks.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I always use Passbook, mostly at Starbucks.

Isn't that the equivalent to how some iOS users tease Android users for using NFC all the time at McDonald's?

Nothing against Passbook (or wallet). Just in the current state I personally don't find them anything to write home about.

alanudi

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
What would Samsung do without Apple ... where would they get the inspiration from? Is there a single Apple design or idea that they didn't clone for cheap? I somehow fail to see where Samsung innovates, something many people claim they do (and no, giant phone screens are not innovation)

I totally Agree!!!! :p

Notifications (i'm sure that's not an innovation that Apple copied)
NFC (an innovation that Apple fans claim is not an innovation at all because it's not on an iPhone)
Larger Screens (AND BEAUTIFUL! Everyone knows Sammy makes the best screens (except iPhoners, respectfully you all think your tiny screens are ideal, but when a 4" screen shows up, BOOM, now that's ideal gimme a freaking break guys!))
4G Speeds, 2 years before iPhones (i'm sure that's not innovative)
Removeable/Expandable Memory (not innovative duhhh)
Changeable battery (actually, not being able to change the battery is the real innovation, albeit a retarded one)
8-core processors (on the GS4, but it's not out yet, so how could that possibly be innovative!)
Choices (Sammy makes several phones, but who likes choices!?! Crazy people who aren't innovative)
300 ppi Screen (blahhhhhhhhh I didn't hear that!!)

obviously, Samsung has never innovated. Ever. never will.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Larger Screens (AND BEAUTIFUL! Everyone knows Sammy makes the best screens (except iPhoners, respectfully you all think your tiny screens are ideal, but when a 4" screen shows up, BOOM, now that's ideal gimme a freaking break guys!))
obviously, Samsung has never innovated. Ever. never will.

Sorry but none of that is Samsung's innovation. Apple, HTC, Dell all came up with phones with the largest screens of their generation - I believe iPhone was the first 3.5" phone, HTC had the first 4"+ phone, and Dell had the first 5" phone. Also I disagree Samsung makes the best screens. Even among just Android, I thought the HTC One X screen completely outclassed the display of Galaxy S3.

It's pretty odd that in that list, as far as I can see everything is either something made by other companies, not Samsung.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

NFC (an innovation that Apple fans claim is not an innovation at all because it's not on an iPhone)

Last time I heard NFC payment option was at 8% world wide. Retails are slow to adopt due to added cost to upgrade equipment to enable NFC payments. May not be worth it adding the cost to the phone yet. Probably why Apple decided to wait.

4G Speeds, 2 years before iPhones (i'm sure that's not innovative)
Removeable/Expandable Memory (not innovative duhhh)

4G service was not widely adopted yet and not as many locations.

Changeable battery (actually, not being able to change the battery is the real innovation, albeit a retarded one)

To me improving battery life/capacity, and ability to recharge 1000 times is much more innovative then having to replace batteries.

8-core processors (on the GS4, but it's not out yet, so how could that possibly be innovative!)

Battery suck

Choices (Sammy makes several phones, but who likes choices!?! Crazy people who aren't innovative)

Apple may make one phone, but they certainly perfected that one phone far more then anyone else could.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I don't think you understand the meaning of the quote. If you are good at copying, it is still just an obvious copy but if you "steal" something, people will forget that yours was not the original because you did a much better job at implementing it than the other guy.

If the fanboys are sure theirs is a better version then why all the fuss.

Oh and business much like the jobs quote doesnt care for fairness or morality, which makes fanboy outrage even more comical.

Last edited by a moderator:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Apps for Passbook in the UK store - still five. No new ones launched since Starbucks.

Of those five two are American airlines with no significant UK presence.

I guess you haven't been the Heathrow in a while...pretty big AA presence there. They're also codeshare partner with BA, so again ????

I think Samsung copying passbook shows that Apple's idea has legs. I use it for Starbucks, AA, Sixt (rental cars in Europe), and even my local barber has a website to setup appointments and they allow me to add it to passbook. There is more than just "App-based" passbook. This passbook was sent directly from a website. In this case it was an appointment confirmation, not a payment system, per se, but it was pretty slick. More people should do this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.