Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Once again, I'm considering a flashed card to replace my "Apple" 5770. I want something with more power for Windows games. The last two times I decided against it, or chickened out.

At the present time, what's some of the better ones? Any with a boot screen?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Just go for something like a GTX 680, but buy one with dual six pin power cords, so that your Mac Pro can actually power it. They are the best cards right now, as on Mountain Lion, macs now have full support for GTX 6xx series cards. Not sure about boot screen on them though.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
For boot screens, you'll need a pre-flashed card from Ebay such as MacVidcards stuff. For boot screen + DIY flashing, I think you are limited to 5870 and 6870.

There is a plethora of cards you can use now without flashing at all, but you won't get boot screens. For Nvidia, see this thread. For AMD, we are seeing positive signs for 7000 series native driver support in 10.8.3 beta, but it is best to wait for the actual release to be sure.

You can also get an Apple 5870 for way too much money, or wait for the 2013 Mac Pro and 10.8.3 to see what that brings.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
For AMD, we are seeing positive signs for 7000 series native driver support in 10.8.3 beta, but it is best to wait for the actual release to be sure.

But without boot screen? Is keeping the boot screen even all that important?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
But without boot screen? Is keeping the boot screen even all that important?

Drivers will never bring initial boot screens because bootup occurs before the OS loads the drivers. You will always need an official Apple card or a flashed card for boot screen.

Whether boot screens are important or not is a personal decision. It seems to be important to some people and not at all important to others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.