Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My R-Type spews out a ton of heat from the back. This might work for people who only check their email or surf the web—but those people are best served by using an iPad anyway. If you try to fire up some creative software or anything else that kicks up that quad-core i7, you risk ruining your shiny new Mac. It's my opinion that these types of cases work best with iPads which don't utilize such advanced cooling systems.

As a side note, can you imagine a day when laptops won't require fans? That would be quite the breakthrough. Perhaps a future, low-power, super fast 16-core Arm solution? DO WANT.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
My R-Type spews out a ton of heat from the back. This might work for people who only check their email or surf the web—but those people are best served by using an iPad anyway. If you try to fire up some creative software or anything else that kicks up that quad-core i7, you risk ruining your shiny new Mac. It's my opinion that these types of cases work best with iPads which don't utilize such advanced cooling systems.

As a side note, can you imagine a day when laptops won't require fans? That would be quite the breakthrough. Perhaps a future, low-power, super fast 16-core Arm solution? DO WANT.

If were happy to go back to core solos or other early core branded chips, the aluminium case as a heat sink may be enough for some of the low powered ones. It would be great tho to not have to have fans at all...then you'd have no moving parts at all. This is where we all need to be issued with a small tank of liquid nitrogen to cool the CPU with :p

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Meh looks like a product for someone who wants to sit in Starbucks all day with their fake glasses, pretending to work on the next big novel or screenplay. Not for a real pro user. ;)

Plus it just looks bloody tacky.

Lol! This is so freaking true. Don't they have a house or room that they can work on quietly?

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Skeumorphism!

Strange - the cool look of the MBP is the aluminium design. Why not buy an accessory that completely obscures it from view...:confused:

It's not skeumorphism, or not completely anyway.

I recall one person here on Macrumors, when the iPhone 5 BookBook came out, mentioned that his and his S.O.'s macbooks were the only high tech items NOT stolen when their place was broken into. they were also the only high tech items in bookbook cases. So when the thief/thieves looked on the coffee table, they saw books, not laptops.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Restricts airflow? Sure. But it's not like it's that difficult to take the MacBook out of the BookBook if you're doing something intensive. I use my 13" MBA in a BookBook all day at work. Visitors in the office always look twice, and I enjoy the feel of the leather vs. the aluminum. I'll agree that a naked MacBook LOOKS better, but if you want a protective case that feels nice and isn't just a ****** plastic shell, this is a great option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.