Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.

Steals business? How can you steal business if consumers have choice? You must love unions and trade restrictions. Oh damn them for making a better product or equivalent one at cheaper price. We need laws passed to prop up our inferior unsustainable business model.

This is akin to dey turk or jerbs. DEY TURK ORRR JERRRRBBS!!!!
Dey cupped r stuf. DEY CUPPED RRRR STUFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

Go pray to baby jesus and ask for help since the best thing you do is whine

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Isn't that the equivalent to how some iOS users tease Android users for using NFC all the time at McDonald's?

Nothing against Passbook (or wallet). Just in the current state I personally don't find them anything to write home about.
They aren't really the same. NFC requires infrastructure specifically for that NFC chip and is usually tied to a credit card whereas the Passbook is usually tied to disposable items like loyalty cards, gift cards which have a set value and and/or expiry or one use items such as a boarding pass or coupon.

The passbook replaces those cards and coupon with barcodes with a graphic with a barcode so you are using the same scanning technology on the receiving end as what it is replacing. They are also not tied to a bank or credit card account making it safer.

----------

If the fanboys are sure theirs is a better version then why all the fuss.

Oh and business much like the jobs quote doesnt care for fairness or morality, which makes fanboy outrage even more comical.
You are still not getting it unfortunately. If you recreated a concept in a completely new approach then you can get around things like patents and most would consider that "innovation" but if you just did a cheap copy, you might have problems with patents and most would not consider it innovative because of a lack of uniqueness.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Ridiculous comparison. The Prada was announced in December 2006; the iPhone less than 4 weeks later in January 2007. So very far from plagiarism it boggles the mind how one could conceive of this as a legitimate comparison.

Not really. The LG Prada won an award in September 2006. Please get your facts right before debating.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
They aren't really the same. NFC requires infrastructure specifically for that NFC chip and is usually tied to a credit card whereas the Passbook is usually tied to disposable items like loyalty cards, gift cards which have a set value and and/or expiry or one use items such as a boarding pass or coupon.

The passbook replaces those cards and coupon with barcodes with a graphic with a barcode so you are using the same scanning technology on the receiving end as what it is replacing. They are also not tied to a bank or credit card account making it safer.

NFC covers all options and can be used for secure purposes and throwaway coupons like you described. Its is not an exclusive requirement for NFC to cater to sim chipped cards only. They can go either way unlike passbook.

And the infrastructure needed would be akin to equipping a CC terminal ie. not very difficult at all.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I guess you haven't been the Heathrow in a while...pretty big AA presence there. They're also codeshare partner with BA, so again ????

I flew BA four times from T5 recently, I wanted to use passbook but had absolutely no idea if or how this was possible. With all the electronic check-in, I suspect it would be relatively easy to implement, but there doesn't really seem to be a push - Saying that, is it a bit pointless if I'm already carrying a passport (can't see that changing to soon...) and check-in simply involves waving it under a machine at the entrance?

Whatever BA do is moot anyway, ryanair will continue to dominate in europe (until they're allowed to fly worldwide?), and I can't see them adopting this, or anything that could potentially make check-in fault-free :)

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
You are still not getting it unfortunately. If you recreated a concept in a completely new approach then you can get around things like patents and most would consider that "innovation" but if you just did a cheap copy, you might have problems with patents and most would not consider it innovative because of a lack of uniqueness.

Ok I agree with you there, still my point stands if the invention is great and unique, there's no need to get up in arms about a rival's inferior version.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

----------

Well aside from being partly wrong in your point - you missed mine. Several posters have made comments that NFC is stupid because pretty much - you can only buy McD's or pay for stuff at the 7-11, etc. And who really does that anyway?

Then the poster says that he uses passbook for starbucks. I was equating the two. That it's no more/less silly for the use case of NFC and passbook in that scenario. If it's how you prefer to "pay" - then that's great. Neither "side" should knock the other. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems at present.

NFC covers all options and can be used for secure purposes and throwaway coupons like you described. Its is not an exclusive requirement for NFC to cater to sim chipped cards only. They can go either way unlike passbook.

And the infrastructure needed would be akin to equipping a CC terminal ie. not very difficult at all.

Exactly.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
unfortunate detail

dec 13 2013 is a friday.

img_walletapi_overview.gif

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
No, its not a racist saying. It has nothing to do with race. Its called a "Colour Idiom" White in Britain is the colour associated with purity and innocence. Thats why wedding dresses are conventionally white.

Heres a little lesson on "Colour Idioms" from the BBC so next time you don't make a fool of yourself by calling someone racist. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv337.shtml

Again. Still off topic, but everybody is not English and I don't care what color Brits consider associated with purity and innocence. (which by the way is still a bit racist).

So here a lesson in reading. I said the statement was racist, not you and if you don't understand why you never will.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Why would samsung need to copy that stale/boring iOS?

/sarcasm

I thought everybody told me that Passport was a poor excuse for a wallet system because it lacked NFC and yet we see that Samsung has not integrated this with NFC payment and has deemed it a "low priority feature".

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Rubbish. Proof?! It won awards the following year: 2007, not 2006.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March07/4460.htm

Entries had to be submitted by September 2006. Google if you want.

----------

Again. Still off topic, but everybody is not English and I don't care what color Brits consider associated with purity and innocence. (which by the way is still a bit racist).

So here a lesson in reading. I said the statement was racist, not you and if you don't understand why you never will.

How can it be racist? Its a colour idiom as I stated in my last post.
http://www.idiomconnection.com/color.html

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So Typical.

Samsung has once again shown their ability to create new, and unique applications.

They are pissing in your face with this one Tim. Kick some ass. :apple:

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March07/4460.htm

Entries had to be submitted by September 2006. Google if you want.

And as I mentioned: 2007, NOT 2006. Wasn't officially announced until the end of 2006, therefore not public knowledge. And Apple were already busy working on the iPhone, a design they conceived a long time before the Prada's submission for the award, and a long time before the Prada's announcement in December '06.

Your argument doesn't work. Cheers.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I thought everybody told me that Passport was a poor excuse for a wallet system because it lacked NFC and yet we see that Samsung has not integrated this with NFC payment and has deemed it a "low priority feature".

NFC is not even close to being a Mature, let alone Secure technology. No one should use it. :apple:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
And as I mentioned: 2007, NOT 2006. Wasn't officially announced until the end of 2006, therefore not public knowledge. And Apple were already busy working on the iPhone, a design they conceived a long time before the Prada's submission for the award, and a long time before the Prada's announcement in December '06.

Your argument doesn't work. Cheers.

Neither does yours as the iphone wasnt public knowledge then either.

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
NFC is not even close to being a Mature, let alone Secure technology. No one should use it. :apple:

I fully agree -- at least it should not be used for payments yet and its use for transferring files is a step back from using 3G, 4G or WiFi to do the same thing at any distance and without having to stand still and hold two devices together until the thing completes transfer.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada

The infrastructure needed would be to equipping credit card terminals "WITH" a tap pad in addition to a CHIP and/or swipe mechanism. Those machines cost more and tend to break down more than those without an NFC chip reader.

Coupons and passes only require a simple barcode reader which is what those places already have while an NFC chip reader is a different animal that only works with chips whereas a barcode reader will work with both paper/plastic loyalty cards and on screen coupons/cards.

Believe it or not, credit card terminals cost money and so do credit card transactions. Some companies have no interest in accepting credit cards but they may still have point cards or coupons.

PS. NFC technology is vulnerable to skimmers.

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Neither does yours as the iphone wasnt public knowledge then either.

I don't understand this entire comparison with the LG Prada.

We have seen iPhone prototypes from 2005 indicating an large screen (presumably) all-touch device. This was NOT public knowledge.

The LG Prada phone debut sometime in late 2006, Sept or December, doesn't matter, and the iPhone in Jan 2007.

Nobody is saying LG copied Apple.

How can anybody come to the conclusion that Apple copied LG? Given the release of prior photos from 2005, especially considering the engineers were probably working in some top secret underground bunker with no connection to the outside world.

So what are we debating exactly?

(oh, and just FYI, the Prada 2 released in 2008 had a slide out keyboard...)

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I don't understand this entire comparison with the LG Prada.

We have seen iPhone prototypes from 2005 indicating an large screen (presumably) all-touch device. This was NOT public knowledge.

The LG Prada phone debut sometime in late 2006, Sept or December, doesn't matter, and the iPhone in Jan 2007.

Nobody is saying LG copied Apple.

How can anybody come to the conclusion that Apple copied LG? Given the release of prior photos from 2005, especially considering the engineers were probably working in some top secret underground bunker with no connection to the outside world.

So what are we debating exactly?

(oh, and just FYI, the Prada 2 released in 2008 had a slide out keyboard...)

The fact that a poster a while back said Samsung copied Apple witht he touch screen. The point was there was other touch screens back then and that was the way the industry was moving.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's so not a copy. The bar code was a square instead of a rectangle, and the passes, I mean tickets, are displayed HORIZONTALLY instead of VERTICALLY.

This is almost as bad as Microsoft's recycle bin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.