Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
it seems they are confusing arrogance with vision, focus and determination to carry it out.

Typical loser reaction to a winner's mentality.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
You say that as if there really is such thing as an unlimited plan on AT&T. And yes, I've had experience with AT&T. Ten+ years of experience, before the blight that is Cingular took them over. Never again.

If we are comparing AT&T to Verizon, the unlimited plans are essentially the same. I pay $199 to upgrade my iPhone with AT&T and keep unlimited, however, versus $649 with Verizon.

I am not forced to buy an expensive share plan if I have more than one device on AT&T. On Verizon, you either have a single line, or a family share plan.

Verizon charges more for people who use minimal data as well, and their data speeds are slower.

Every time I talk to AT&T customer service with an issue, they seem to pay my last month's bill. Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't understand all the negative feedback towards AT&T.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
And 50 years later, they seem to have learned a lot more from the Vietnam war than we did.

What lesson did France learn from it's Indochine history? Start a forest fire and let your neighbor bother about putting it out, and footing the expense -- in human life and $ ? Retreat from the world, but demand a seat at the table too?

Unfortunately, if the U.S. drops the ball there isn't any other country to save it. France is a bit player, given stature only because of its history and location.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
What lesson did France learn from it's Indochine history? Start a forest fire and let your neighbor bother about putting it out, and footing the expense -- in human life and $ ? Retreat from the world, but demand a seat at the table too?

Unfortunately, if the U.S. drops the ball there isn't any other country to save it. France is a bit player, given stature only because of its history and location.

what a load of garbage the only reason you got involved was because you were afraid of commie expanansion

you did NOT care about the vietnamese

AND THAT IS WHY YOU LOST

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
This pretty well sums it up. The telecoms are the enemy, so lay off the national stereotypes. Some idiot in the arrogant, incompetent and stupid formerly publicly owned Australian telecom, Telstra, thought the iPhone would be an abject failure.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/biztech/telstra-to-apple-stick-to-your-knitting/2007/02/15/1171405363291.html

No worries mate... Mr Winn ended up getting tens of millions of dollars before p*ssing off back to America and taking everything with him. This iPhone quote was just the icing on a tenure of failure.

Completely off topic but I had to laugh the other day reading about the Fairfax chief calling the Guardian an "asterisk" ..... "The Guardian’s a good brand in London... it’s a good brand in a few suburbs in London.’" When the Guardian launches in Australia that is going to zing big time.

Then there was the TV CEO who was saying recently how he would not let the internet and piracy dictate how he wanted to schedule overseas programming, that Australians should take what is served..

If these Markets were not regulated and protected in Australia these firms would be toast, its only with that protection and the power they built up in the previous century that they can survive in the medium term.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational...guardian-and-27asterix27/4533744?WT.svl=news5

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
If we are comparing AT&T to Verizon, the unlimited plans are essentially the same. I pay $199 to upgrade my iPhone with AT&T and keep unlimited, however, versus $649 with Verizon.

I am not forced to buy an expensive share plan if I have more than one device on AT&T. On Verizon, you either have a single line, or a family share plan.

Verizon charges more for people who use minimal data as well, and their data speeds are slower.

Every time I talk to AT&T customer service with an issue, they seem to pay my last month's bill. Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't understand all the negative feedback towards AT&T.

Good on you. Sounds like you know how to relate to them, and they you. I've had years of experience with AT&T, both their landline/networking services and their wireless services, both on a personal and professional level. Based on that experience, and that of my friends, relatives, and professional acquaintances, I would say your experience is not the norm.

And I'm not saying Verizon is some altruistic virtuous company. They just provide a better experience for me, and others. Their network is better. Simple as that. Instead of trying to buy the competition and eliminate it, they put their money into network infrastructure.

No phone company is our friend. They all want to stifle competition, and none of them like the idea that something like the iPhone disrupted the monopolistic golden egg laying goose that they had. But I'll take the service I get on Verizon any day over the crap that AT&T provides. At least Verizon's arrogance gets backed up by real results.

And BTW: The "Every time I talk to AT&T customer service with an issue..." statement is very telling. Been on Verizon for a couple of years now, and I've never had to talk to VZ customer service with an issue.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
No phone company is our friend. They all want to stifle competition, and none of them like the idea that something like the iPhone disrupted the monopolistic golden egg laying goose that they had. But I'll take the service I get on Verizon any day over the crap that AT&T provides. At least Verizon's arrogance gets backed up by real results.

And BTW: The "Every time I talk to AT&T customer service with an issue..." statement is very telling. Been on Verizon for a couple of years now, and I've never had to talk to VZ customer service with an issue.

I agree with the phone company statement. And to clarify, I have spoken with AT&T twice in over 4 years. Once because I added a line to my plan and wanted to confirm the charges on my next bill. In both cases, they willingly offered to pay the previous month's bill. Friends in my area have reported similar results. Maybe it's just a Tampa area thing.

calvinline

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
Less arrogant

Arrogance is the saving grace of Apple.

Mobile operators are incredibly arrogant, they are used to holding all the money and making demands. While every other hardware manufacturer tried to design around mobile operators demands / useless customisations and never to be launched services, Apple marked out its territory as controlling the hardware and software experience. Look at the death spirals of Blackberry and to some extent Nokia following this path.

I remember hearing how a large mobile operator executive said he couldn't believe how arrogant Apple were. Believe me - probably the first time anyone had held their ground.

So yes, hearing Apple is losing its arrogance is again somewhat worrying portent of a company that may stop focussing on great products and become a dull glossy shareholder value obsessed 'brand' like Sony did.

I keep hoping Tim Cook is a steward until one day one of Steve's kids is old enough going to take over and turn the whole thing on its head :)

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Arrogance is the saving grace of Apple.

Mobile operators are incredibly arrogant, they are used to holding all the money and making demands. While every other hardware manufacturer tried to design around mobile operators demands / useless customisations and never to be launched services, Apple marked out its territory as controlling the hardware and software experience. Look at the death spirals of Blackberry and to some extent Nokia following this path.

I remember hearing how a large mobile operator executive said he couldn't believe how arrogant Apple were. Believe me - probably the first time anyone had held their ground.

So yes, hearing Apple is losing its arrogance is again somewhat worrying portent of a company that may stop focusing on great products and become a dull glossy shareholder value obsessed 'brand' like Sony did.

I understand what you are saying, but, if Apple really wanted to put the carriers in their place it would have encouraged users to be able to switch carriers at will instead of trying to tie the phone to a single carrier for the life of the phone. Instead, Apple acted as if it just wanted a piece of the carrier's action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.