Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelsy6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Belgium
ok, i read all the treads i could find about the ipad mini that are allready posted and it gave me mixed feelings...

I have an iphone 4s and an ipad 2 32GB.
i saw the ipad mini and i was i love....

I use my ipad -to watch movies
-to read ebooks (also on iphone)

i have 2 moleskine notebooks that i carry around with me for all kinds of things like sort of a diary,to sketch and thing i need to do and remember.
when i saw the ipad mini i saw everything come together :)

but know i read in reviews that the ipad isnt good to read ebooks on?
is it easy to type on?
and how is the webbrowsing?

my hobby is photography, so ipad mini looks like an ideal companion weightwise? but is he good with photos?

i would choose for 16GB Wifi because i can use my iphone as hotspot when i need it...

so pls some advice of the allready users :)

and pls no comments on the retina display because my ipad now has no retina either so diference is none

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Most of the complaints regarding the mini are because of the screen and specs. Both of which shouldn't be an issue to you since you're using an iPad 2. The screen will actually be slightly better but not by much. The screen isn't great for photos. At least if you're serious. However it's not had either. Photos just won't be as sharp and the colors won't be as rich/accurate as they would be on something like an iPad 3/4 iPhone 5 or 5th gen touch as well as the myriad of other android phones and tablets. The camera on the mini is better than the camera on the iPhone 4 but slightly worse than the 4s. I'm not sure why anyone would want to take pictures on an iPad though.

Bottom line, the mini sounds like I'd be good for your uses. Especially coming from an iPad 2 where you'll be less disappointed by the screen. Pick one up and try one. I really like mine and its growing on me. My biggest gripe is the screen but ill have to get used to it. I'm typing on it now.

Kelsy6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Belgium
The screen isn't great for photos. At least if you're serious. However it's not had either. Photos just won't be as sharp and the colors won't be as rich/accurate as they would be on something like an iPad 3/4 iPhone 5 or 5th gen touch as well as the myriad of other android phones and tablets. The camera on the mini is better than the camera on the iPhone 4 but slightly worse than the 4s. I'm not sure why anyone would want to take pictures on an iPad though.

I have a Canon 60D to photograpf with :) photos taken with ipad mini would be for fun :) but i have a SD connector and it is nice when you make a citytrip you can rest in a cafe and look at pictures that we made over coffee :)

thanks for the advice :) i think more and more i will give it a try :)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I have a Canon 60D to photograpf with :) photos taken with ipad mini would be for fun :) but i have a SD connector and it is nice when you make a citytrip you can rest in a cafe and look at pictures that we made over coffee :)

thanks for the advice :) i think more and more i will give it a try :)

The worst that could happen is you don't like it for whatever reason and take it back.

Dancreek

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
Yes

I debated the same thing myself. My office provides me with an iPad 3 that I carry around all the time. When the mini came out I was not all that impressed. Well I tried it out anyway. It is sooo light weight and easy to carry around. super easy to hold and the smaller screen is actually way easier to type on. It has significantly increased how much I use the device since its so easy to have around. I have completely abandoned my old iPad 3 now despite its better screen.

Since you already have a 2 you will not notice any real performance difference. The only area that I do still prefer the larger iPad for is when I'm showing clients graphics or portfolio samples. The larger, sharper screen is handy there. But for any personal use the mini is the way to go. IMHO

Kelsy6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Belgium
Dancreek :) that is what i needed to know :) because everyone around le is just declaring me crazy for wanting the mini :)

Kelsy6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Belgium
Hahaha :) i knew i had to post on here :) thanks everyone :) i'll be buying my ipad mini this weekend probably :) will let you know if you guyz were right :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Mini is a cool device. It comes at the price people still can manage and would even pick one over a cheaper android tablet that came with better specs.

However, there is no need to act as apple PR in here. Everything has two sides, the screen is bad for web and reading. U can barely see the letters unless u zoom in on it every page. Other than that, its perfect, the size, the weight, the feel. And the battery.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I wouldn't go back to the big iPad. I use my mini for everything. Ebooks, movies, etc. works great. Yes, retina would be nice, but the form factor is what does it for me. The big iPad just feels humongous to me now and way too heavy.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I wouldn't go back to the big iPad. I use my mini for everything. Ebooks, movies, etc. works great. Yes, retina would be nice, but the form factor is what does it for me. The big iPad just feels humongous to me now and way too heavy.

I totally agree with this. I'm going to sell my iPad3, in spite of the better display.

...the screen is bad for web and reading. U can barely see the letters unless u zoom in on it every page.

I don't agree with this, IMO. Yes, the Mini display is not as sharp as a retina screen, but I wouldn't call it "bad" for web surfing and reading. My vision (with my specs) is very good, and I can read very small text OK, it's just not as sharp as retina. And how hard is it to zoom in now and then?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
1. but know i read in reviews that the ipad isnt good to read ebooks on?

2. is it easy to type on?

3. and how is the webbrowsing?

4. my hobby is photography, so ipad mini looks like an ideal companion weightwise? but is he good with photos?

5. i would choose for 16GB Wifi because i can use my iphone as hotspot when i need it...

6. and pls no comments on the retina display because my ipad now has no retina either so diference is none
Typing this from my mini now.
1. I read books on my iPad all the time and I have pdf's of textbooks I use for school stored in iBooks. It's fine and having everything stored on the iPad is much better option than carrying around 5+ kilograms of texts like I used to.

2. Just as easy as the bigger iPad. But really it's very subjective as everyone as different sized hands etc. but I have types documents which are a few pages big on my mini with no problems at all.

3. Web browsing is great. I rarely need to use my MacBook Air for web browsing now. I much prefer the smaller screen in caprison to my old iPad 3, but again that's personalise preference.

4. iPad mini is great with photos and there are some great photography apps available. However photos you actually take with the iPads built in camera aren't so great. I assume since you are a hobbyist you have some sort of dedicated camera.

5. If you want to store a lot of photos on the device I would reconsider whether 16gb would be enough. It fills up pretty quickly. I normally suggest 32gb just to be on the safe side. As the storage on Idevices are non-upgradable.

6. Know you asked for no comment but I just wanted to say I moved from an iPad that did have a retina display and I have no problems whatsoever with the minis screen.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I find the iPad mini easier to type on because it fits better in my hands in portrait orientation. My thumbs can reach all areas of the keyboard easily.

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
I recently bought an iPad 4 and iPad mini. The retina display was outstanding on the ipad but the portability and ease of use is much better on my mini. I ended up returning the 4 and now just use the mini. The mini is a lot easier to bring around, to fit in your hands, and just has a better feel to it in my opinion. It may be different if you are 6'6" and have monstrous hands but i bring my mini with me nearly everywhere now. Typing on it in portrit is very easy and even in landscape with a case that tilts it a little works great for me too.

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Bookbook

I've also abandoned the retina display on my ipad 3 for the new mini.

It's sat nicely in a cover made by twelve south called bookbook. It cost a little more thn other cases out there but boy do I love it.

The device is sooo portable and lightweight it is unbelievable.

AVPlayerHD from the App Store lets me watch ALL my films in great resolution.

Go with you gut feeling & buy that ipad mini now!!

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I have both and prefer the standard size iPad over the mini for all uses. One thing you might think about. My photography is with a Nikon D7000. I am a nit picker about color accuracy and my photos are seriously correct on my rMacBookPro, iMac, and on Flickr when viewing on those same devices. Both iPads are are slightly blue with the mini being worse. I know of no way to calibrate those. The same pics on my IPhone 5 do not have the blue problem.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Mini is great for books and movies. In Australia we have a App for pay tv, we have a ipad 3 and mini and the picture is better on the mini. Sure text may not be as sharp but if you make it a bit bigger in ibooks and kindle no problem.
I sold my ipad 3 for a mini. the mini runs way cooler too and the battery is great.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have an iphone 4s and an ipad 2 32GB.
i would choose for 16GB Wifi because i can use my iphone as hotspot when i need it...
First I think the iPad Mini is probably better for reading ebooks than the iPad you currently have due to size.

And second, are you sure 16GB will be enough? I know for some people it is, but with photos, space can get used up pretty fast. ANd then there is everything else you would have on it.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Wait for retina. Don't buy the current version unless you absolutely don't care about screen quality.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Wait for retina. Don't buy the current version unless you absolutely don't care about screen quality.
And in 6 months will you be saying: "Don't buy Retina wait for Super Retina."? Especially since we don't know for certain when a Retina iPad Mini might appear on the market.

Have you actually looked at the iPad Mini screen or are you just saying that about the screen quality because it's not Retina? The iPad Mini has a decent screen. No, it's not retina, but you know something Retina is not needed for every usage. And in some cases, Retina can be a negative. For example sometimes with image/photo editing you do want to see each pixel.

Last edited:

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
And in some cases, Retina is a negative. For example sometimes with image/photo editing you do want to see each pixel.

Retina is a negative?

Attachments

• h1B3C650A.jpeg
    h1B3C650A.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 4,212

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
And in 6 months will you be saying: "Don't buy Retina wait for Super Retina."? Especially since we don't know for certain when a Retina iPad Mini might appear on the market.

Have you actually looked at the iPad Mini screen or are you just saying that about the screen quality because it's not Retina? The iPad Mini has a decent screen. No, it's not retina, but you know something Retina is not needed for every usage. And in some cases, Retina can be a negative. For example sometimes with image/photo editing you do want to see each pixel.

Aside from the washed out colors I might agree with you about the screen being decent. But the colors just aren't as good.

tytbody

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
4 seasons
Mini is so much easier to show photos. Just because, I can hold it better. The person can hold it easy and we are all happy. I use it every day. Have my kindle on there and it's great to those quick read place. Fires up fast then my Mac. I put it beside my bed and it gets grabed just as quick as my glasses for that first email read in the lounge. )

it is great to me for reading. No different then my typing now on my Mac. Just get the size in mgs you need and get a case) Enjoy it. It's the best. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.