Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Distributed Computing

Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:17 AM   #1
huntermaclean
macrumors member

CPU Temp When Folding

I was concerned about my CPU temp when the fans on my rMBP were always running, even when the FAHControl was set to Light.

I have a Retina MacBook Pro
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB

Normal usage CPU Die Temp is around 50c. When folding though, the temperature doubles and hovers around 100c.

Anyone know if this is normal for the rMBP?
huntermaclean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
huntermaclean
macrumors member

Crunching some video right now with AnyVideo Converter HD and I'm back between 96 and 102.

Either this is normal operating temperature for the rMBP when the CPU is operating at full capacity, or I have a defective machine. Although, if it was the latter I figure something would have happened by now since I've had the machine over 6 months.
huntermaclean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:30 PM   #3
COrocket
macrumors 6502

The Apple software (firmware?) that controls fan speed really doesn't ramp up until you get around 100C, so it will run hot naturally. I installed smcFanControl when I'm folding so I can run 100% and keep temps around 85-90C when im not using my computer. I got the same processor as you in a mac mini. Different enclosure but mine also runs around 50C when idle. Intel quotes 105C as the max temp for this processor so it definitely get close.

Overall, I'd say its normal, if not ideal. Personally I like to bump up the fans to keep it a little cooler.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:04 AM   #4
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by COrocket View Post
The Apple software (firmware?) that controls fan speed really doesn't ramp up until you get around 100C, so it will run hot naturally. I installed smcFanControl when I'm folding so I can run 100% and keep temps around 85-90C when im not using my computer. I got the same processor as you in a mac mini. Different enclosure but mine also runs around 50C when idle. Intel quotes 105C as the max temp for this processor so it definitely get close.

Overall, I'd say its normal, if not ideal. Personally I like to bump up the fans to keep it a little cooler.
agreed here. i know laptop chips are built to get hot, but anytime you are 100c or over, you don't want this 24/7. i agree with setting the fans to run more to keep it under 100c.

just curious, but what does it say for your ppd while folding?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
COrocket
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
agreed here. i know laptop chips are built to get hot, but anytime you are 100c or over, you don't want this 24/7. i agree with setting the fans to run more to keep it under 100c.

just curious, but what does it say for your ppd while folding?
I'm actually using World Community Grid on BOINC, and with that program I get around 5,000. IDK how that compares to FAH though.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #6
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by COrocket View Post
I'm actually using World Community Grid on BOINC, and with that program I get around 5,000. IDK how that compares to FAH though.
oh ok. yeah i'm not sure how they compare.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Distributed Computing