Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I've been playing for Pandora one for a few years now so it's of no concern to me. The new pricing seems fair though.

Fant

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Agreed! I have vehemently tried to get my wife to dump Sirius XM. Terrible sound quality from their app, terrible channel selection, poor pricing and even worse customer service.

Thank You! I thought i was the only one that thought most of sirius xm's stations sound compressed. Even free pandora sounds so much clearer.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Pandora history:

Day 1: 40 hours free music
Few months later circa 2009-10
40 hours free music OR pay $0.99/month for unlimited!

Spotify is launched
Unlimited for all! No ads if you pay!

Present day
40 hours free music OR pay $0.99/month for unlimited!

Circle of life.

pilgrim2812

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
US
The RIAA is a corrupt cartel

Cartels in the US are illegal, but the RIAA has paid enough politicians off to continue to operate as a cartel. Companies either pay their price or they shut them down.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
"The change was made in response to a rise in the royalty rates that the company must pay to record companies."
"Desktop users can continue to listen to unlimited music."

Someone explain to me why the rise in royalty rates only apply to mobile users and not to desktop users....

The majority of listeners are mobile listeners, not desktop listeners.

guzmanedgar269

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
pandora

so im paying for something and i can't listen to it unlimited... Looks like i'm not going to reup my payment.

pandora has been getting to much crashes they need to make an update to their customers because i have pandora and i'm paying but i think the problem of unlimited is not working very well

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Blame this on politics.

Regular, terrestrial radio (like what you listen to in your car) pays NOTHING for royalties to play the music you hear.

But for some asinine reason, Internet radio is required to pay substantial royalty fees — that's why Pandora is the most successful out of all of 'em, because no one else could afford it. When Pandora lobbied to Congress to try and get the same opportunities as terrestrial radio, their efforts were torn apart. Lawmakers actually suggested increasing the amount Pandora has to pay.

Absolutely ridiculous.

It would be ridiculous...if true. Terrestrial radio absolutely DOES pay royalties through both ASCAP and BMI. In fact, per rotation, significantly higher fees than ANY of these mobile streaming sites/projects.

I've programmed a rock station now for 17 years. We pay royalties for both terrestrial broadcast and our stream. Rates are figured by revenue of each station playing the music. Since revenue in terrestrial far exceeds commercial revenue stream monies...the fees are higher (a LOT) for the regular AM/FM broadcast you're hearing

The 'political' BS linked was due to radio stations already paying ASCAP and BMI for the 'rights' to air the content on terrestrial while still having to pay an additional fee for our individual streams (as it can be a different audience). The return on investment isn't there yet as far as selling the 'streaming' commercials in comparison to selling local 30s and 60s on the terrestrial side

Hope that makes sense. Anyone that plays for profit SHOULD be paying royalties. Including mobile DJs, bars with juke boxes, etc. Most don't, obviously.

Gandalf.Fix

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Australia
Spotify Radio doesn't cut it

Whilst I use spotify to listen to albums and such the radio isn't clever enough for me. Pandora's offering is a lot more consistent. I hope apple's service is as good. They already have all the genius data, that's a little better than a social algorithm...

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I've had Pandora One for a few years now and I really like it. No ads, unlimited listening apparently, and higher skip counts. I think it's a win, besides I'd like to support them in their struggle with the record companies.

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
Spotify will eventually fall and start charging too. It's only a matter of time. IF freeloading at other ppl's expense is what you're into, you'll soon start running out of options when it comes to radio.

hjernazian

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013

most users WON'T be affected? Uhm, I rely on Pandora on my commute to and from work, along with multiple drives during the day. 40 hours a month comes to just a little over an hour a day. I can assure you I use it more than that. I don't blame Pandora, but greedy music executives that are trying to kill it. Ridiculous!

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
People listen to Pandora, find music they enjoy, and buy that music.

Why do record companies keep trying to destroy Pandora???

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
Going the way of Netflix...

Prices are going up for them. Why do you think the competition is better and cheaper? They want to steal business away from Pandora. When Google and Apple are #1, they'll start charging more as well. Those companies however can fund cheaper music with other sources though.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Loose the caps! :mad::mad::mad:

That pisses me off when people do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p Chill dude.

Could be by IP address. If that doesn't change then...

Both of you, shut up, you're not contributing to the thread in kind manner. If you want to act childish, then leave the forum. Now. (and don't come back)

More likely it'll be part of iTunes Match. "Stream all the songs you already own -- and now any song in the iTunes catalog."

That was what I was thinking of. If streaming the entire iTunes library was available (heck, it even comes with certain number of songs you can download and permanently keep in your iTunes in the Cloud library even if you end the subscription), then the $29.99 per year becomes useful for iTunes match.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
40hrs per month is way too less. I'm a 3d artist and in my studio almost all of them listen to music the whole, the day which sometime spans from 12-16hrs. On an average we listen to 5-7 hrs, best guess.

anyway, its not in India, i subscribed to itunes match and i stream almost whole day with my 3GB/PM plan !

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Just a quick question, is groove shark illegal to use? I ask because this is the site I use and it has basically every song I could ever want to listen to...and it's free.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
most users WON'T be affected? Uhm, I rely on Pandora on my commute to and from work, along with multiple drives during the day. 40 hours a month comes to just a little over an hour a day. I can assure you I use it more than that. I don't blame Pandora, but greedy music executives that are trying to kill it. Ridiculous!

So you demand free and unlimited consumption of something and call other people greedy all in the same paragraph.

The music industry has seen its first tentative growth in 14 years. That's not exactly rampant profiteering is it?

Try paying the 99 cents and see if you can still hold your lifestyle together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.