Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I almost want to say that some of y'all should think about getting your device checked out if your iPhone 5 is severely having battery issues. Even my "ancient" (in tech years it's almost there) iPhone 4 lasts a full day of browsing on 3G, playing heavy games, and even a little GPS. Yet an iPhone 5 can't last 3 hours doing that? Yep is get your device checked out. I've never heard of (and all I do is visit tech sites as a tech nerd) anyone have terrible iPhone 5 battery life even power users.

mine isn't "terrible", it's just it rarely lasts more than 6-8 hours of my usual usage without a charge. i don't consider that bad battery life, so much as I'm just a heavy user.

i would only use something like this when i'm out and about at an outdoor event or somewhere where I'll be away from an outlet/charger for over 8 hours.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
So they raised the price? The 2000mAh juice pack plus for 4/4s was $99. Keep waiting folks they got one more to release and it will probably be $130. 1700mAh is still kinda skimpy.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
'Lasted a full 9-5 work day', 'last a full working day' and 'last a full day' are meaningless terms.

Based on how I use my phone, my i5 lasts me two, 'full 9-5 work days'.

Then you might as well be carrying a Nokia 3310 and get a month out the battery because your likely not using any of the "smart" features of your "smart"phone.

As soon as you start using this phones features, to play games, stream video, watch movies, listen to music, browse the web and more, your battery life plumets, so much so that 3hrs "use" a day can put you at the point of needing to charge midway through the day.

Apple, im sure, rates its battery life by old Dumb-phone standards, so they are saying here, buy this super smartphone, but only use it like you used your phone in the 1990s if you want your battery to last the day,

Seems backwards thinking to me, not innovative .

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
My iPhone 5 battery life is also terrible. And yes, Apple have looked at it, and changing it has done nothing.

It doesn't last me until I get home at night after work, and I don't do things like streaming video.

As for this, it looks good. And then you see that it makes the already uncomfortably long iPhone 5 even longer. Fail.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Tactfully charging the phone through out the day is probably a better approach for 95% of people.

but if the phone had been designed correctly to begin with you shouldn't need to do this, it should have been built with a battery that had the legs to last a full day of use, if this meant that it would have to be half again as thick and a third again as heavy, so be it.

Apple has anorexia when it comes to its devices, they are perfectly functional as either works of non-functioning art, or tethered device.

Last edited:
S

syd430

but if the phone had been designed correctly to begin with you shouldn't need to do this, it should have been built with a battery that had the legs to last a full day of use, if this meant that it would have to be half again as thick and a third again as heavy, so be it.

Apple has anorexia when it comes to its devices, they are perfectly functional as either works of non-functioning art, or tethered device.

Cool story.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Nightarchaon said:
Apple, get your act together, whats the point of a Smartphone, that you have to treat like a dumb phone and not use to get it to last a full a working day on a single charge ?
First you said this.

As soon as you start using this phones features, to play games, stream video, watch movies, listen to music, browse the web and more, your battery life plumets, so much so that 3hrs "use" a day can put you at the point of needing to charge midway through the day.
Now this.

It's nice your employer allows you to 'play games, stream video, watch movies, listen to music, browse the web and more'. :)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Exactly! Maybe I'm in the minority, but I personally wouldn't mind a phone that's even twice as thick as the current iPhone 5 if it meant double the battery life. I think Apple's taken the "thinnest phone on the market" competition a bit too far, and I'm sad to see that sacrificing features such as battery life was even a consideration for them.

Steve Jobs was always obsessed with thin & light at any cost. It's about pretty products at Apple. Nothing new. :)

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Dude, you're wrong.

I've had each and every iPhone from the first to the current. They all perform essentially the same. I have a couple times had them replaced in hopes of the battery improving, but it never makes any difference. So that's like 7-8 iPhones in 5 years, and they all perform the same as far as battery. Still think there's a problem with my phone?.

Question: how's the phone signal where you are? Have you been using your phone in the same places this whole time? A weak signal could be part of your problem.

The reason I ask is that there's one place I go regularly, a theater, that's in a basement and has really marginal phone reception. Every time I go there, my iPhone (and indeed, other phones I've had before it), will churn through battery like crazy trying to seek and hold onto a signal. The phone will actually get warmer from energy use. Again, this is across multiple, different types of phones and occurs nowhere else I go, so it's definitely the location. I can lose 30% of my battery in a couple hours down there.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Question: how's the phone signal where you are? Have you been using your phone in the same places this whole time? A weak signal could be part of your problem.

The reason I ask is that there's one place I go regularly, a theater, that's in a basement and has really marginal phone reception. Every time I go there, my iPhone (and indeed, other phones I've had before it), will churn through battery like crazy trying to seek and hold onto a signal. The phone will actually get warmer from energy use. Again, this is across multiple, different types of phones and occurs nowhere else I go, so it's definitely the location. I can lose 30% of my battery in a couple hours down there.

The signal where I live is excellent. I get mostly 4G LTE service. I live and work in the Washington DC area, and stick within about a 10 mile radius as I go about my day. Even when I'm sitting in one place, the phone will simply decrease in battery by about 5 to 7% every hour 24 hours a day no matter what I'm doing. I heard it thousand times, How some people can use their phone for two days without ever putting it on charger. How I should go back to the store and replace it (which I've done a couple times over the years). How I should disable some functions. The fact is, the iPhone is designed to last for about the waking day of a normal person. If you use the phone more than the typical person does, even if just by a little bit, you will Be exceeding what Apple designed the phone to do. Because, as I'm sure Apple sees it, what's the good of having a phone that lasts into the night while you're sleeping. Better to design the battery size and the performance of the phone around the need to run for 12 to 16 waking hours.

Well, I use my phone a little bit more than the usual person, Clearly, so I would just appreciate the opportunity to buy a phone that had a larger battery inside of it without having to buy an add-on case which will make the phone wider and taller as well. It doesn't appear that Apple is willing to do that, unfortunately. There is an entire market out there for people who want a phone that lasts an extended amount of time. That's why Motorola made the Maxx model.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Can you buy this in a Best Buy or order them? I'm looking into one of these, just worries me about licensed and non-licensed stuff.

Worry about the retail markup and all that people-contact that you have to have at a local retail store ;)

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
Steve Jobs was always obsessed with thin & light at any cost. It's about pretty products at Apple. Nothing new. :)

But he was also obsessed with revolutionary products, not evolutionary like the current management seems to be.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
First you said this.

Now this.

It's nice your employer allows you to 'play games, stream video, watch movies, listen to music, browse the web and more'. :)

i do all that on the way TOO and FROM work, on the train, on my 1hr 30min each way commute.. during the working day i need email, calls and web access frequently whilst MOBILE, cant be tethered charging all day.

----------

But he was also obsessed with revolutionary products, not evolutionary like the current management seems to be.

Current management isn't even being evolutionary, they just seem to be trying to thin down and lighten everything, its just anorexia at Apple at the moment.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
i do all that on the way TOO and FROM work, on the train, on my 1hr 30min each way commute.. during the working day i need email, calls and web access frequently whilst MOBILE, cant be tethered charging all day.

Perhaps Apple should offer different battery capacity just like they offer different storage capacities. Then people could choose the standard model the whole way up to the Nightarchaon model that will last at least 11 hours. Of course, that'd mean designing the phone to accommodate the largest battery, but people who don't have a 3 hour commute wont mind that compromise.

Good luck.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Perhaps Apple should offer different battery capacity just like they offer different storage capacities. Then people could choose the standard model the whole way up to the Nightarchaon model that will last at least 11 hours. Of course, that'd mean designing the phone to accommodate the largest battery, but people who don't have a 3 hour commute wont mind that compromise.

Good luck.

At the moment, im using a jailborken ipad mini as a phone.. you should see the wierd looks i get on the train

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
At the moment, im using a jailborken ipad mini as a phone.. you should see the wierd looks i get on the train

Samsung just announced the Galaxy Note 8, which will be sold as a phone, unlike the iPad Mini. Why Apple doesn't let you use a cellular iPad as a phone is beyond me to understand.

What jb apps do you use to use the Mini as a phone?

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Better to design the battery size and the performance of the phone around the need to run for 12 to 16 waking hours.\

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm using a Mophie battery case for my 4S and it adds so much more bulk than would be necessary to accomodate a larger battery inside the phone itself. I'd rather add 5mm to the device than turn my phone into a big plastic mess. Even the best of these external cases still adds a TON of bulk.

Here's hoping some breakthrough in battery tech makes the thinness vs. battery debate irrelevant.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Samsung just announced the Galaxy Note 8, which will be sold as a phone, unlike the iPad Mini. Why Apple doesn't let you use a cellular iPad as a phone is beyond me to understand.

What jb apps do you use to use the Mini as a phone?

PhoneIt-iPad or some such, there are a few, PhoneIt-iPad i used on my iPad 1, but needed earphones with a mic in.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm using a Mophie battery case for my 4S and it adds so much more bulk than would be necessary to accomodate a larger battery inside the phone itself. I'd rather add 5mm to the device than turn my phone into a big plastic mess. Even the best of these external cases still adds a TON of bulk.

Here's hoping some breakthrough in battery tech makes the thinness vs. battery debate irrelevant.

Eh... you know what will happen - the phone makers will up the power usage to whatever extent necessary to get to the same "one day" battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.