Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Display size and resolution are very unlikely to change for the iPhone 6, let alone the 5S.

Let's not forget that it's the iPhone 5.5S that follows the 5S. Thus it will be at least 2015 before Apple has to do anything innovative, if at all. The public have spoken & they love Apples demure size. :D

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
The Radical iPhone 5S Redesign.

Works for me but Apple could care less what we the end user customers think. They know people will simply buy it because its an Apple product and they will buy it regardless. So what if the design is getting old, outdated and not as innovative as it was in 2007. Yes that is right its not as innovative as 2007. Apple should be pushing the envelop not following everyone else a couple of years later. Maps, Passbook, security flaws all in iOS 6 this shows there is real issues that many gloss over and pass off as nothing big.

I don't expect or want the phone to be 5" but I expect it to keep some level of competitive edge with what customers want. Yes I like iOS but that doesn't mean I only use iOS.

Just because you want something doesn't mean all customers do, I love my iPhone 5 how it is.

----------

I like the idea of a wider more proportional iPhone. The iPhone 5 feels unbalanced with it being tall.

Almost all new phones are 16:9. People need to stop with the wider crap. If you want a 3:2 phone then buy the 4s. I don't know why people want to retrogress to an inferior aspect ratio. You don't hear people saying the S3s 16:9 aspect ratio is horrible and the phone needs to be wider. People just like to hate on apple even though every manufacturer out there is now using the same aspect ratio.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
What is with everyone speculating the larger iPhone to be longer, you can go just so much longer before the phone is not usable, we need to go wider too.

I would love to see the 4.5 or 4.7 for the next version iPhone 6, however I do not think you will see any difference in the 5S other than CPU boost, iOS7, and camera modification, other than that, it will be same as 5

I think Apple needs to step up their game, yes they sell a lot, but everytime I turn around people I know who had the iPhone (all diff models) are now getting Samsung phones and when you ask why, they say they are faster and have cooler features.

Will be interesting but if Apple does not deliver a new iPhone in June, there may be some issues they face in regards to loyalty and sales.

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
What is with everyone speculating the larger iPhone to be longer, you can go just so much longer before the phone is not usable, we need to go wider too.

I would love to see the 4.5 or 4.7 for the next version iPhone 6, however I do not think you will see any difference in the 5S other than CPU boost, iOS7, and camera modification, other than that, it will be same as 5

I think Apple needs to step up their game, yes they sell a lot, but everytime I turn around people I know who had the iPhone (all diff models) are now getting Samsung phones and when you ask why, they say they are faster and have cooler features.

Will be interesting but if Apple does not deliver a new iPhone in June, there may be some issues they face in regards to loyalty and sales.

Especially with the SG4 being introduced on March 14 and going on sale sometime in April (most likely).

The specs on that phone look pretty impressive and that seems to be what drives the market for phones these days.

The more I think about it the more I think Apple will almost have to do something cool for the iPhone 6.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Top and bottom aluminium strips are very elegant. I think you just have the wrong idea because of the viewpoint.

Try imaging it more like this photo.

The proximity sensor and light sensor will be hidden in the glass display bezel.

Hmmm... OK, that's changed my mind a little. I suppose I'd have to see it to be convinced. I guess I forgot that your image is indeed a 'mock-up'. :)

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Apple is not the leader in the market as it is slipping downhill. If the iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS show anything. Nothing will change. The entire phone will be iPhone 5. Minor enhancements to the camera and processor. Screen size will remain 4.0", 326PPi....etc

poppers

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
I can promise you now that the iPhone 5s will look nothing like that - they will NEVER put the button so close to the bottom or the screen - this would cause big, big issues. The iPhone 5s will be the iPhone 5 with slight mods - simple as that, don't delude yourself with this nonsense.
30619964.jpg

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
radical iphone 5 design

You think this is radical? Where do you come from? The land of make-believe. To go from a 4 inch screen to a 4.2 inch screen is taking five steps backwards when it comes to new smartphone designs. Take your head out from your butt and think creatively.:mad:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Especially with the SG4 being introduced on March 14 and going on sale sometime in April (most likely).

The specs on that phone look pretty impressive and that seems to be what drives the market for phones these days.

The more I think about it the more I think Apple will almost have to do something cool for the iPhone 6.

As cool as Steve was, I do not think he would do as well as the current Apple team now, only because in his eyes it was his way or the highway. Tim has a 99.1% investor approval rating, now they have to do something withe stocks and investors. As for me, I would love for them to come up with some new feature or design that shifts the Smartphone industry, but I am not sure they can anymore, the playing arena has gotten a lot more competitive with Samsung, and soon we will see what Google plans with their purchase of Motorola. Microsoft has failed and I am sure RIM will as well. Going forward it will all be about Apple and Android?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

The iPhone 5S.

Apple is well known to be a leader in the market, but the 2 year refresh schedule is both a boon and a curse. In an industry which typically release major overhauls every 6 months, each iPhone iteration needs to be 2 years more advanced than anything else. This upgrade process is great for accessories which are given time to develop into the best in the world but means to innovate Apple needs to think outside the box.

This iPhone 5S offers to change a whole lot without changing too much and most importantly the overall shape of the device remains identical. So your accessories are given top priority to remain just as great as they ever were

Major Features:

- Aluminum unibody design now with two new beautiful strips of delicately machined aluminum running along the top and bottom of the front face. Inspired by the long standing design of the iMac desktop the square glass and rounded aluminium bring unity to the Apple lineup.

- Identical rear and side shape.

- 4.2" IGOZ 1704x960 HD Retina display. Apple has done away with the dead space around the display and made the bezel smaller so your phone still fits beautifully and comfortably in one hand, the bezel is shrunk so your fingers don't have to grow.

- Pressure sensitive home button strip. The home button is still there in spirit carved out of the lower aluminum strip but now the iPhone 5S uses a pressure sensitive pad with a seamless built-in fingerprint sensor, the strip at the bottom of the phone senses pressure and the center reads your unique biometric ID when you are pressing it, and takes the same amount of force to press as the iPhone 5's home button but will last 10 times longer and allows you to do away with the pass-code (if you want).

- Proprietary sub-pixel processing algorithm so all of your old apps look crisper than ever, with or without updating your apps. Each iPhone 5S now has 9 pixels for every one that the iPhone 4 had.

- GPU and processing speed have each doubled yet again, and the cameras each now produce half as much noise while retaining more detail. Stereo speakers inspired by the great results of the iPad 4 are integrated seamlessly into the existing lower cutouts.

Not gonna happen for the 5S

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Apple won't go through all that headache and retooling just to go up .2". It will be something like 4.7" - 5" or nothing. And certainly no change for the 5S.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple is not the leader in the market as it is slipping downhill. If the iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS show anything. Nothing will change. The entire phone will be iPhone 5. Minor enhancements to the camera and processor. Screen size will remain 4.0", 326PPi....etc
Yup, the market is slipping downhill, like WAY downhill: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/01/apple-phone-market-share_n_2599814.html :rolleyes:

And the S versions had no changes...or, wait, actually just minor enhancements...like let's say TWICE the processor/graphics speeds of the non-S versions...minor unimportant things like processor/graphics speeds that are not noticeable at all. :rolleyes:

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
You think this is radical? Where do you come from? The land of make-believe. To go from a 4 inch screen to a 4.2 inch screen is taking five steps backwards when it comes to new smartphone designs. Take your head out from your butt and think creatively.:mad:

Whoa, simmer down there; I know you're hallucinating that you're Steve Jobs Jr running Apple and he's your employee so you're gonna talk some smack at him since you're paying him a ton of dough for this work, but that's all in your head.

His speculation and fan-made mock-ups not good enough for you? Why don't you show us how much better you can do it?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

The iPhone 5S.

Apple is well known to be a leader in the market, but the 2 year refresh schedule is both a boon and a curse. In an industry which typically release major overhauls every 6 months, each iPhone iteration needs to be 2 years more advanced than anything else. This upgrade process is great for accessories which are given time to develop into the best in the world but means to innovate Apple needs to think outside the box.

This iPhone 5S offers to change a whole lot without changing too much and most importantly the overall shape of the device remains identical. So your accessories are given top priority to remain just as great as they ever were

Major Features:

- Aluminum unibody design now with two new beautiful strips of delicately machined aluminum running along the top and bottom of the front face. Inspired by the long standing design of the iMac desktop the square glass and rounded aluminium bring unity to the Apple lineup.

- Identical rear and side shape.

- 4.2" IGOZ 1704x960 HD Retina display. Apple has done away with the dead space around the display and made the bezel smaller so your phone still fits beautifully and comfortably in one hand, the bezel is shrunk so your fingers don't have to grow.

- Pressure sensitive home button strip. The home button is still there in spirit carved out of the lower aluminum strip but now the iPhone 5S uses a pressure sensitive pad with a seamless built-in fingerprint sensor, the strip at the bottom of the phone senses pressure and the center reads your unique biometric ID when you are pressing it, and takes the same amount of force to press as the iPhone 5's home button but will last 10 times longer and allows you to do away with the pass-code (if you want).

- Proprietary sub-pixel processing algorithm so all of your old apps look crisper than ever, with or without updating your apps. Each iPhone 5S now has 9 pixels for every one that the iPhone 4 had.

- GPU and processing speed have each doubled yet again, and the cameras each now produce half as much noise while retaining more detail. Stereo speakers inspired by the great results of the iPad 4 are integrated seamlessly into the existing lower cutouts.

Please elaborate.....

----------

See here's the thing. Apple is in a unique position. Because of carrier subsidies they are one of the only companies that can sell a $180 product for $750 on average, and sell 100 million of those per year generating 50 billion in profit.

The iPhone is the single most profitable object on earth by total income. Not gold, not oil, not diamonds, iPhones.

It is mind blowing therefore that Apple is doing anything but pouring the best minds in the world to create the best possible technologies that mankind has ever seen into the next device. Apple is sitting on the most valuable thing in human history and if they do not innovate, they will squander it.

Yes people will buy their product regardless, but only until they realize that Apple is not at the top of their game, and if Apple choses not to deliver amazing innovation they will slowly kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

If and when we come to a situation where people en-masse realize that there are other much better products for them besides the iPhone their market share will plumet.

I can think of at least 3 things more profitable than an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.