Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'd like to see this survey by region. How does Apple hold up outside the U.S. compared to inside the U.S?

I would think they would be highly admired just about everywhere. There is strong desire for their products worldwide. The only problem is price in many areas, but people still like and desire the products.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I figured Disney would be top 5, but I guess not. :(

No, they're on the top "I paid $500 to stand in a line for 40 minutes in 90 degree heat, so I can sit on a ride for 4 minutes, that dumps into a gift shop" list...

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
FedEx, really? UPS may not be as "sexy" but they are the workhorse there. Great company IMHO. 20 pounds 4 days ground NY to LA for about $14.00!

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I'd like to see this survey by region. How does Apple hold up outside the U.S. compared to inside the U.S?

I was wondering how this was compiled and determined since the top 10 is all US companies.

----------

FedEx, really? UPS may not be as "sexy" but they are the workhorse there. Great company IMHO. 20 pounds 4 days ground NY to LA for about $14.00!

And if it's at all fragile or breakable, it will be (broken that is). Fedex will kick UPSes a$$ any time.

I love seeing the big stickers for overweight items that require two people to lift being delivered by one person (typically with smashed corners, etc).

Last edited:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Just more evidence that Apple the company and AAPL the stock don't really mirror each other. I know the company I work for (healthcare, fortune 50) often references Apple as a company they want to be compared to.

I can't think of any company that wouldn't want to be compared to Apple... they are the success story of the early 21st century.

----------

With Apple at the top you knew Starbucks couldn't be far behind. :D

MacBooks, iPads and Latte's all mix very well! :D

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Fedex, really?

I agree, they may be admired or sexy, but at least UPS gets the package to the right place. I have had more than 2 issues in the last year, with a new one. Two weeks ago had a delivery tag on my door requiring a signature. Funny, I hadn't ordered anything, they were supposed to attempt delivery next day, never showed, and that tracking number is still in 'limbo'. I feel sorry for who was supposed to get that package.

Yeah for Apple, Hope they keep it up!

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I don't know, as much as Google are able to come up with innovative products, those products (the physical ones) rarely ever affect our daily lives because they rarely are worth buying, or even possible to buy.

How many people do you know personally who own (or plan to own soon) a Chromebook Pixel? A Nexus Q? A Google TV? Google Fiber? How many plan to buy Google Glass at launch?

Now how many people do you know who use recent Apple products daily? Who buy new ones at launch?

Google mostly make niche products that aren't necessarily bad, but still niche products for a reason or another. Most of their income comes from services, mostly targeted ads with information mined from services like web search, maps, gmail, youtube etc. which haven't significantly evolved recently.

It's because google pushes the envelope and some/most of their projects aren't geared towards mass-market adoption (yet). Not a lot of companies are willing to innovate crazy products like this so I applaud Google for being one of the few. Kind of reminds me of the iPod, iPhone, and iPad with Apple -- these products came before their time. I see a similar thing happening with some of googles innovations such as self-driving cars.

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
In this context, Admired = "brand recognition" or "Marketed"

Try reading the article. This is not a survey of the public...

"The ranking is based on*a large-scale poll of corporate executives, directors, and industry analysts who were asked to rank companies by*nine key attributes:"

So your comment about brand recognition and marketing show your troll to be a fail. This is a survey of professionals and what they think about other companies, their peers and competitors.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004

Apparently you missed the fact that this was not a survey of the public.

The ranking is based on*a large-scale poll of corporate executives, directors, and industry analysts who were asked to rank companies by*nine key attributes:

Apple haters always trying to take exception to positive survey results.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Surprised by IBM being there. You don't really hear about them outside the corporate world.

Apparently you missed the fact that this was not a survey of the public.

The ranking is based on*a large-scale poll of corporate executives, directors, and industry analysts who were asked to rank companies by*nine key attributes:

Apple haters always trying to take exception to positive survey results.

That would explain IBM then :eek:

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Back slapping circle jerks, endless financial hysteria, Samesung sillyness
and Apple is doomed nonsense have shoved actual Mac Rumors to the dustbin of history.
:(

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
I do question how these are derived though.

Pure speculation, or some degree of knowledge. What they're measuring
"Innovation, People management, Use of corporate assets, Social responsibility, Quality of management, Financial soundness, Long-term investment, Quality of products/services and Global competitiveness"
are many things I'm not quite sure can really be sensibly done by an outsider.

RandySK

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Arlington Heights, IL
Incorrect Numbering

The numbering is wrong for the ratings. If you sort by rating, you would get:

1 Apple 8.24
2 Google 8.01
3 Starbucks 7.94
4 Disney 7.84
5 IBM 7.37
6 Coca-Cola 7.32
7 Amazon.com 7.28
8 Berkshire Hathaway 7.18
9 Fedex 7
10 Southwest 5.52

It also seems surprising that there's nothing between 7 and 5.52.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
lol they're #35 on the list!

Not defending or attacking anyone (much less a company), but it still #35 out of how many companies in the world?

It's like the saying that goes "you don't win silver, you loose gold"... you're still #2 out of 7 billion people...

EDIT: what is more impressive, imho, is the ratio of US companies vs "outside US", and I say that as a Canadian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.