Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Sad but your justice let them doing so. So it means the US support them.

Curiously enough, the rest of the world doesn't seem convinced that SAMSUNG is copying others; only in the US has APPLE been able to convince twelve jurors that SAMSUNG was indeed infringing. So, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

the droids will claim that this is the natural evolution of things and it would have happened anyway and Apple did only the obvious thing that everyone else was already thinking about - this goes for the idea, the implementation and the icon - therefore Samsung did not copy because Apple did not do anything but stealing the obvious idea.

Right. ;) (magnificent spin)

Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.

They slavishly and shamelessly copy anything and everything they think can make them tons of money.
It seems to be in their DNA.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Their own API... this could be the beginning of Samsung forking Android. Google is already very concerned about Samsung's dominance as it is, and this may speed up their plans to try and beat down Samsung with their own hardware. If people think Android is fragmented now, they haven't seen anything yet.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Their own API... this could be the beginning of Samsung forking Android. Google is already very concerned about Samsung's dominance as it is, and this may speed up their plans to try and beat down Samsung with their own hardware. If people think Android is fragmented now, they haven't seen anything yet.

It does make you wonder how Google would fight back. Would they pull access the Google Play store? Google Maps? What other leverage would they have? Belittling smartphone users?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
It does make you wonder how Google would fight back. Would they pull access the Google Play store? Google Maps? What other leverage would they have? Belittling smartphone users?
I think Google will have a hard time controlling them and Samsung could always fork Android for their own use like Amazon. I really think Samsung wants the full ecosystem model Apple currently has. If Samsung dominates the Android market any more than they already do, Google will be in the position of developing Android just for Samsung.

The next year or two will be interesting.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I am surprised there are so many Apple supporters for this one. Usually Apple is getting bashed when ideas are stolen from them.

Samsung is such a shameful company. I was considering getting one of their TVs (I know they are good) but as an artist I just CANNOT support an art thieving company.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
LG Prada which was first announced in 2006? :rolleyes:

I had that phone. It was nothing like an android phone. Probably the worst phone i ever had to be honest. Miserable touch screen.

----------

You people are so funny. I'm pretty sure Google Wallet was first before Passbook. Also better. So shut up about copying. Apple copies just as much.

The only problem is that Google Wallet is not like Passbook. Nice try though.

----------

Are you incapable of adult discussion without having to resort to childish wordplay such as "samedung"? :rolleyes:

I find it fascinating that most people in UK tend to side Samsung on all matters Apple vs Samsung :) I guess you were really offended someone called your precious copycat favorite company a "samedung", weren't ya? :p

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Sammy is lead by a bunch of spineless mofos.
And you know why Samsung can pull this **** off?
Because they don't make their own OS and they are copy Apple. Then they sell their **** dirt cheap. Simple, mindless formula that will ******** them up in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I wonder if Samsung can get it to work (haha); I have yet to have a successful Passbook experience.

Get a Starbucks gift card. Load it into your Starbucks app. Add your Starbucks card to Passbook. Works as easily as a credit card for me almost daily. Sometimes the location awareness doesn't like to work or doesn't realize I'm next door, but that's the limitations of GPS preciseness to an address.

Otherwise, the only issue I have had is sunlight hitting the phone at the wrong angle when getting scanned in the drive-thru. You just have to tilt it away from the sun.

I have also used the Target coupons, but honestly they're a little hard to discover in the app. I mean there is no "here are the weekly coupons, now add this to Passbook by hitting this one button." But that's the Target devs' fault.

M

Mr.damien

Curiously enough, the rest of the world doesn't seem convinced that SAMSUNG is copying others; only in the US has APPLE been able to convince twelve jurors that SAMSUNG was indeed infringing. So, I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

don't you think it would be different in the other countries if it was THEIR national company.

For now, the jurors said samsung was copying, but the triple damade has already been denied because the judge ruled that they didn't do it on purpose.

So apparently, they copied Apple by accident, and the lawsuit is still not finish. Samsung could probably escape it. Apple is still losing mark on front of Samsung which is sad.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
As well as Samsung Wallet, Visa have just partnered with Samsung and created "PayWave"

Visa believes that such mobile wallet apps will be huge in the coming years, and expects to see nearly two billion NFC devices in active use by 2017.

I do hope there will be similar crys of "Copycat" when Apple add NFC to iphone :rolleyes:

Incorrect. Paywave was made by Visa. Not jointly with Samsung.

The article you're referring to was that Visa was working with Samsung to implement Paywave on Samsung devices.

See the difference?

----------

The fact that a poster a while back said Samsung copied Apple witht he touch screen. The point was there was other touch screens back then and that was the way the industry was moving.

http://gizmodo.com/261172/settling-this-iphone-vs-lg-prada-nonsense

By the way, the LG Prada wasn't multitouch. The way you interact with it was completely different than the iPhone.

From a movie geek standpoint, saying the LG Prada and the iPhone were alike is like saying the Star Trek LCARS consoles were cloned by the consoles in Minority Report. No.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
I'm insulted that u guys weren't pissed at apple for selling this as an iOS 6 feature !!!!!!!!

Seriously a feature !!!!!?!?!?!!?!!

Don't get mad at Samsung - get mad at apple !!

I actually thought Passbook seemed like a neat idea that could really come in handy.

Now, Facebook integration and asking Siri to look up sports scores... THAT was a huge yawner... :rolleyes:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I had that phone. It was nothing like an android phone. Probably the worst phone i ever had to be honest. Miserable touch screen.

----------

The only problem is that Google Wallet is not like Passbook. Nice try though.

----------

I find it fascinating that most people in UK tend to side Samsung on all matters Apple vs Samsung :) I guess you were really offended someone called your precious copycat favorite company a "samedung", weren't ya? :p

Offended? Favourite company? Grow up! No need to get on the defensive.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Why do I even buy an iPhone anymore? Samsung will copy the iPhone either way so I'll have a iSung soon.

I love iPhone, Samsung really has to stop.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Apple keeps releasing 'features' that don't go anywhere. Newsstand? Who the hell uses that? Maps? Does anyone want that now there's a Google Maps app? Siri? Well, it's okay I guess, but barely more than a gimmick.

5 Passbook apps in the UK - and some of those are for Airlines hardly anyone's likely to use even if they fly frequently. Another is for Starbucks, which is hated in the UK for not paying a penny of corporation tax.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Apple keeps releasing 'features' that don't go anywhere. Newsstand? Who the hell uses that? Maps? Does anyone want that now there's a Google Maps app? Siri? Well, it's okay I guess, but barely more than a gimmick.

5 Passbook apps in the UK - and some of those are for Airlines hardly anyone's likely to use even if they fly frequently. Another is for Starbucks, which is hated in the UK for not paying a penny of corporation tax.

I would call Newsstand & Maps, Apps and not features. Siri is a feature and a popular one.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
This is just the Korean business mentality. Samsung copying Apple isn't a new strategy - it's just that we're noticing it more than we used to. Samsung has been doing this for decades. So has LG. So has Hyundai. So has Kia. Daewoo, Hankook, Samick, Hynix, Zemina. They enter markets running with copycat products and low prices and immediately capture a large share of sales. For some reason the courts give them a free pass. It's really a matter of nationalism for them, not so much for others.

Last edited:

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
All the frustration from people knowing that Samsung will do it better then Apple. ;)

Below are a selection of features first showcased on Android, before shortly being added to ios.

Notification Center
Apple Maps
Facebook intergration
Launching apps from lock screen
Tabbed browsing
etc etc

All manufactures share ideas. Why everyone thinks Apple is whiter then white is beyond me.

Apple Maps? WTF
Facebook Integration?
Launching apps from lock screen? LOL
Tabbed browsing? lolol
etc etc... Right.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
When Apple pulls out 100% of their manufacturing and materials contract worth over $8 billion, that $12 billion won't be that impressive, especially to shareholders.

Yup.

----------

Hyperbole is hyperbole.

They didn't get sued for billions. Slightly over 1 billion.

And here's an interesting tidbit. They haven't paid a dime to date. And in fact - in every case except in the US - Samsung won.

Many tech companies get sued for billions.

I agree that Samsung's biggest "reward" has been crushing the Android competition. That might actually be Google's and Android's downfall if Samsung converts their users to Tizen or something else.

I repeat:

"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."
- Everett Dirksen, U.S. Senator (1951-1969)

I doubt Android will ever go away completely, even if Samsung does something drastic like switching all of their handsets / pads to Tizen. Google desperately needs to generate some kind of cash flow from their Motorola division. They'll maintain the official Google Fork if Samsung creates a new de facto standard Samsung Fork of Android. Or they'll keep Android alive if Samsung switches to Tizen.

Sorry. What was your point again?

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
This is the interesting part... the part the Samsung copied was Apple decision to include a KeyRing-like app on it's phones (the Key ring is not new, it's the decision to include it with the phone). It's Samsung typical "fast-follower" model, which is frowned upon in North America, but well accepted, acknowledged and even envied in Asia.

As mention above, what will Apple do with it? How will it monetize, bring it to market, and evolve a business model around it. This can take different initial directions... passes, payments, coupons, etc. And also the go to market strategy is part of solution (by creating new relationships, or partnership with existing services like credit card companies).

Samsung, today, can develop it's own direction and model, but hasn't yet (arguably, neither has Apple)... although it seems like by naming it "Wallet" it's taking a mobile payment direction, but still haven't indicated how it bring it to market.

If the past is an indicator, Samsung will take a "fast-follower" approach, and wait for someone (Google/Apple) to lead the way or even wait for someone to *prove* (not just formulate) a successful model first.

Agreed. Samsung seems to be the follower type, not that that in and of itself is a bad thing. Let other companies take the risks and spend the R&D, swoop in and copy at the end. The key is to avoid being sued (buy off judges as needed ;) ) and still make profit.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Why do I even buy an iPhone anymore? Samsung will copy the iPhone either way so I'll have a iSung soon.

I love iPhone, Samsung really has to stop.

dude - look around u - everyone loves samsung phones.

people arent buying iphones because they dont want to look like iSheep.

im embarrassed by my iphone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.