Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iCloud's Photo Stream, Documents, and Backup Services Currently Experiencing Problems

Apple's System Status page is showing multiple iCloud services with 'issues':

Services listed as being affected are Photo Stream, Documents in the Cloud and Backup. The services have been having problems for nearly five hours already, and Apple has not yet provided a timeframe for a fix.

(Thanks, Guillermo.)

Update 8:28 AM: The issues are persisting some seven hours after Apple first acknowledged them, but the company has now updated its status page to note that less than 1% of users are currently being affected.

Article Link: iCloud's Photo Stream, Documents, and Backup Services Currently Experiencing Problems
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
gadgetguy03
macrumors member

5 Hours?

I was having issues with using Photo Stream in my screen saver on the Apple TV last night 12 hours ago. So has it been down since last night?
gadgetguy03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3
johncrab
macrumors 6502

It's because of the Sequester. (Use it now folks. It's the perfect excuse for everything!)
johncrab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
CJK
macrumors member

iCloud is a mess. Unreliable, unfinished, difficult for developers to implement -- not exactly a winning combination for Apple's strategy for the next decade.
CJK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Borinthas
macrumors newbie

Used it, left it.
Borinthas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:50 AM   #6
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK View Post
iCloud is a mess. Unreliable, unfinished, difficult for developers to implement -- not exactly a winning combination for Apple's strategy for the next decade.
Based on what? There are plenty of users that never experience any problems. As of this moment all of those services listed above are working without issue for me. Obviously there are some users out there that are being effected and I'm sure there are varying degrees of frustration going along with that (for those that even notice), but what online service doesn't suffer from user outage here and there?
ugahairydawgs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
b-rad g
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
Based on what? There are plenty of users that never experience any problems. As of this moment all of those services listed above are working without issue for me. Obviously there are some users out there that are being effected and I'm sure there are varying degrees of frustration going along with that (for those that even notice), but what online service doesn't suffer from user outage here and there?
Same here for me. Literally just finished editing Numbers files on my iPad that are documents stored in iCloud.
b-rad g is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
philr5150
macrumors member

Ahhh, the uber-reliable Cloud. It's the future, you know.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:03 AM   #9
nrose101
macrumors member

Seems like it is finally back up
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Skika
macrumors 68020

So many cynics urgh.

I love the iCloud and have rarely encountered an issue.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Couldn't send pictures in iMessage. Fixed now.
RoelJuun is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
brayhite
macrumors 6502a

can we just stickie this and get it over with?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I like iCloud syncing my Notes and bookmarks and tabs between devices, but sometimes it's not instantaneous enough for me to be comfortable with the lack of an indicator like Dropbox has. I'm okay with the fact that Dropbox takes a few minutes (or sometimes even hours if I'm dropping huge files in it) because it'll give me an estimate of how long uploads and downloads will take.

If iCloud is taking over a minute, I get nervous that its going to fail entirely because it has no progress indicator. (But of course, it, like Dropbox, just about never fails. Google Drive, on the other hand, fails about as often as it works. It's probably Google's worst product to date.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:09 AM   #14
nazaar
macrumors 6502

Like it, but I have experienced issues. I'm not convinced about it's reliability and quite frankly not surprised about the technical difficulties.

Haven't been happy with Apple since my 2 year old iMac broke. This is in addition to my MBP breaking just before the purchase of the iMac.
nazaar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:26 AM   #15
antao
macrumors newbie

documents with iCloud

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1502688
antao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Apple is the best in the business when it comes to enterprise-level networking solutions. They will be back up and better than ever in no time.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:32 PM   #17
Tyler23
macrumors 601

iCloud backups are getting stuck at around 60% for me, and I also cannot load app updates on the app store.
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:38 PM   #18
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Apple is the best in the business when it comes to enterprise-level networking solutions.
I assume you are joking.
bozzykid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I work at Best Buy, and i have to do a lot of Microsoft account setups for people who buy a new Windows 8 computer, and literally about 30% of the time the Microsoft servers wont accept the account setup, so i have to take down their information, check in the computer, do it later, and have them come back to pick it up... THAT's what a mess looks like.
Z400Racer37 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:59 PM   #20
rmwebs
Banned

iCloud having problems? Shock horror

Pile of junk.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Morod
macrumors 65816

Can you say MobileMe?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borinthas View Post
Used it, left it.
Didn't even bother to use it.

10 foot pole!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:06 PM   #23
Tyler23
macrumors 601

It says it's fixed, but I still can't backup to iCloud or even see the my available app updates (I do have one, I have the app badge, just nothing loads when I click updates).
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:51 PM   #24
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

Even when it functions normally, I'm not a fan of Apple's cloud solution. There's still not complete compatibility between iWork apps on my Mini/MacBooks and iPad/iPhones. I frequently have three copies of a single keynote appear on my iPad with no easy way of finding the most current version. I was a fan of the local-folder syncing option they had with MobileMe, and continue to like that about Dropbox.
When an iCloud service is down though, it's such a pain. I can handle a potential outage keeping me from syncing a file from one computer to another, but not denying me access to the file at all, as has been happening today. I see the thumbnails in the "Open" dialog on my apps, but there's no way to get them. Ridiculous frustration.
I'm sure this is not just apple's cloud, but that's the one I'm in large part stuck with, given the ecosystem I've chosen.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion