Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I've been trying to sell my less than one month old iPad 4 with Verizon LTE. It is a 16gb black version. Comes with box, all cables and papers. Warranty until January 2014. Pristine condition.

Been trying to get $580.00 for a couple weeks now. Highest offer I've gotten is $500.00. Anyone sell a equal model on Craigslist for around my asking price? Thanks.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Unfortunately craigslist is tough because you have a limited market to sell to. $500 is definitely a low-ball though. I wouldn't sell below $550. You'd probably get a fair price on eBay, but then you'd have to pay all the eBay fees.

$580 is extremely fair considering the buyer wouldn't need to be sales tax. With tax included $580 is about $100 off retail. You should include that bit in your craigslist listing, and make the number bold and red. People can't help themselves when they feel like they're getting a steal. The key is to make them feel like that. $100 off a 3-week old product definitely qualifies!

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Unfortunately craigslist is tough because you have a limited market to sell to. $500 is definitely a low-ball though. I wouldn't sell below $550. You'd probably get a fair price on eBay, but then you'd have to pay all the eBay fees.

$580 is extremely fair considering the buyer wouldn't need to be sales tax. With tax included $580 is about $100 off retail. You should include that bit in your craigslist listing, and make the number bold and red. People can't help themselves when they feel like they're getting a steal. The key is to make them feel like that. $100 off a 3-week old product definitely qualifies!

Thanks for the reply. I differently made sure the $100.00 off retail was known. I even say we can meet at the apple store so they can have someone look through it and check the serial number. I guess I'll just keep posting it.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would go....

to the refurb section of Apple online store and check out the price of a similar iPad. Substract then 25% off the price and you, IMHO, can get a good idea of what to ask

:):apple:

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
to the refurb section of Apple online store and check out the price of a similar iPad. Substract then 25% off the price and you, IMHO, can get a good idea of what to ask

Yea but they don't have any iPad 4 refurbs yet:(

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Then....

take the price of one new the more equal to the one you are selling and do a 25% rebate in the price....:)

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
$580 is a too high for a used product even if it is only a month old. As a buyer, I would rather pay a bit more since that gives me the flexibility to return, exchange, etc. the product from the store while your options is none.

Try to get that guy to move a bit higher than $500 and make the sale if you're interested in something new. Life's too short to stress over the little things.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Craigslist is tough. Sometimes things sell but often it will take months. Most people I've met want to offer half of my listing price. You could make a counter offer to the lowballer you met and be willing for him to walk, or you wait for the next offer.

An alternative would be to accept Amazon's or eBay's fees since they reach a wider audience.

turaco

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
$580 is a too high for a used product even if it is only a month old. As a buyer, I would rather pay a bit more since that gives me the flexibility to return, exchange, etc. the product from the store while your options is none.

Try to get that guy to move a bit higher than $500 and make the sale if you're interested in something new. Life's too short to stress over the little things.

Agreed! $580 is def too high, I would say $500 is an ok price for a used ipad, I certainly would not pay $580 for it and I shop craigslist frequently (mostly iphones). If you can get more go for it, if not.....

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
So a iPad that's not a month old and still able to buy AppleCare and $180.00 off retail is too much? I sold my iPad 2 and iPad 3 a year after each release for only $100.00 off retail. Wtf

Last edited:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Agreed! $580 is def too high, I would say $500 is an ok price for a used ipad, I certainly would not pay $580 for it and I shop craigslist frequently (mostly iphones). If you can get more go for it, if not.....

I couldn't put it better myself.

----------

So a iPad that's not a month old and still able to buy AppleCare and $180.00 off retail is too much? I sold my iPad 2 and iPad 3 a year after each release for only $100.00 off retail. Wtf

It's a waiting game. If you want to wait for your price go ahead. It's just basic Economics 101 for supply and demand. You set a price and there's no demand. Lower the price (if you're willing to) to make the sale. I'm not the one trying to buy it from you.

Used is used no matter if it 1 day or 180 days. Having a longer warranty period left should be used as an incentive for the buyer and not a reason to keep the prices close to retail. The people that are willing to pay that level of pricing wouldn't even bother and just get a new or open box one with less hassle from a retailer.

Prices will continue to drop once people realize (if rumors are to be believe) that the next ipad will be thinner and lighter (like the ipad mini).

The market is flooded with iPads (older generations as well) that's why maybe you got your price before and not now. The market has change so adapt if you want to make the sale.

Last edited:

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I couldn't put it better myself.

----------

It's a waiting game. If you want to wait for your price go ahead. It's just basic Economics 101 for supply and demand. You set a price and there's no demand. Lower the price (if you're willing to) to make the sale. I'm not the one trying to buy it from you.

Used is used no matter if it 1 day or 180 days. Having a longer warranty period left should be used as an incentive for the buyer and not a reason to keep the prices close to retail. The people that are willing to pay that level of pricing wouldn't even bother and just get a new or open box one with less hassle from a retailer.

Prices will continue to drop once people realize (if rumors are to be believe) that the next ipad will be thinner and lighter (like the ipad mini).

The market is flooded with iPads (older generations as well) that's why maybe you got your price before and not now. The market has change so adapt if you want to make the sale.

Yea I understand. Ill probably lower it a little bit or just hold onto it until apple send invites for the iPad 5 reveal however many months that is.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Yea I understand. Ill probably lower it a little bit or just hold onto it until apple send invites for the iPad 5 reveal however many months that is.

Lower it a bit every week if you still want to sell it. Personally, I would just just use it until new ones are introduced and sell it then. At least then you would have used it through it depreciated value.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
You should have taken the $500 when you could. BTW, want to buy a PalmTX? Maybe I should have taken the $80 that guy offered me... three years ago.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Refurbs are generally around 15% off the cost.

Assume a refurb would sell for $534.65

Now used is effectively less valuable version of a refurb. It comes with less of a warranty, no return period if you change your mind and endless possibilities of hidden problems caused by the previous owner.

If refurbs are available or are available sometimes then you really should price significantly enough less to account for the ACTUAL losses to a perspective buyer that chooses yours over a refurb. This is a scaling difference. Honestly though $500 seems like a pretty fair price for a seller given the circumstance.

Even if refurbs are not available, open box items from retailers will come at a bigger discount with generally fewer disadvantages than a simply used product. Consider than in the price. (i find open box items sell from retailers for anywhere from 15-30% off original price depending on the disadvantages for a buyer).

As for the issue of sales tax. It's certainly a point to raise with a prospective seller but given the number of folks who frequently evade sales taxes by resorting to a variety of behaviors, you the seller must be aware that its probably not a big consideration.

In short, that $500 offer is pretty solid. You might sit on that ipad for much longer. And remember, the longer you sit on it, the less it's worth. Of course, if Apple rolls out some newer generation iPad, your iPad instantly takes a substantial hit in value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.