Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superyiddo85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
hi Guys

I have registered on this forum in search of some help for a mac newbie.

I have Football Manager 2007, but i cannot install it to my mac.

Here is what has been happening: (appologies if it appears vague as i am currently at work and am doing this from memory)

on the disc are 2 setup files that work on mac, setup.jar and a setup mac command.

If i use setup.jar the games installs, but right at the end it says it has installed succesfully however there has been a problem, and it is something to do with disc space and file native support.... you click finish, find the icon in th spotlight tool and it wont load.

if i use the command, which the instruction book tells me to do, it starts to run and then comes up with the error about java runtime.

I have googled this, and it says to update to the latest version, but i already have it.

Again, sorry i havent got any more concrete error messages, but does anyone know what i am on about, or seen something similar.

Is there any way round it, or is the game just too old?

Thanks
SY85

Superyiddo85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
UPDATE

if i try to install from the install FM2007 MAC.command this happens:

Initializing InstallShield Wizard...

Searching for Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
.........................No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was found on this system.
logout

[Process completed]

and if i try to install from setup.jar this happens:

THE INSTALLSHIELD WIZARD HAS SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED FOOTBALL MANAGER 2007, CHOOSE FINISH TO EXIT THE WIZARD HOWEVER THE FOLLOWING WARNINGS WERE GENERATED.

CHECKING REQUIRED DISC SPACE REQUIRES FILE SERVICE NATIVE SUPPORT

any help with this would be very much appreciated please.... :)

ThomasChatelle

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
No solutions yet ?

I'have exactly the same problem as you, but on a macbook OS X ...

I just want to play at FM :p

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
What version of OS X are you running? Have you checked the official website for the most recent patches/updates to Football Manager 07?

ThomasChatelle

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
I have the OS X 10.6.02. I just bought it last week!

I don't think that the mosts recents updates of Fm 07 is in cause ... Because it's the problem with the Java Virtual Machine ...

Thank you for your help :)

Hal157

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
I have the exact same problem as superyiddo

this happens every time

InstallShield Wizard

Initializing InstallShield Wizard...

Searching for Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
.........................No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was found on this system.
logout

[Process completed]

Can someone plz help me figure it out

I have an mac OS X 10.6.2

Hal157

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
The installer has no problems with installing on windows.....
I'm new to the mac so i'm pretty sure there's just something i'm doing wrong.
Any help would be great

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The Mac and Windows installers are different.

Just a quick google came up with

If Java is installed on your system but the version of Java is somehow incompatible with the installer, this may lead to some strange behavior and side effects when trying to run the installer. Symptoms may include, but not necessarily be limited to, the installer window not being drawn properly, the installer content only being partly displayed or not displayed at all or buttons not being present or not functioning. There are a couple of things you can do to try to fix this problem:
1. Uninstall Java Runtime Environment, then try to run the FM07 installer again. The installer comes bundled with Java that it will use if there is no Java present on the system.
2. Install the latest Java manually if the above doesn't work, then you can try to install the latest Java runtime environment manually. Then try to run the FM07 installer again.

If you get an error dialog that says "could not utilize start class: com.installshield.wizard.Wizard" when trying to run the installer, the Java system is being blocked and cannot run.
1. Anti-virus software blocking Java. Please check your anti-virus software setup and set it up so it allows Java (java.exe) to run as normal. Refer to the manual, help or other documentation for your anti-virus software on how to do this. An alternative is to disable your anti-virus while running the installer, and re-enable it once it has finished installing.
Users of certain versions of McAffee VirusScan are advised to disable and re-enable anti-virus, then reboot the computer.
2. Install as administrator user or the install may fail.
3. Insufficient disk space for temporary files. In some situations, it may be that the installer's own free disk space check succeeds, but it then in fact ends up not having enough disk space on the drive or partition where temporary files are stored (usually C:Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsTemp). In this case, you should try to free up as much space as possible on the drive that contains the temporary files (usually C:) - 1GB is a recommended minimum, a few GB is advisable.

peratho

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
UPDATE
and if i try to install from setup.jar this happens:

I got it to work in Mac OSX 10.6 by doing the following:

1: Installing by double clicking on setup.jar
2: Setting executable flag on fm program, run the following from a terminal in the directory where you installerd FM 2007
chmod 755 fm.app/Contents/MacOS/fm

tarrow

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012

2: Setting executable flag on fm program, run the following from a terminal in the directory where you installerd FM 2007

To clarify and recitfy this.

1: Install by double-click on setup.jar
If you need Rosetta, you'll have to go back to your installation disk if you use Snow Leopard or earlier

1a: I'd advise you to give up if you have Lion and don't feel like you want to make a dual-booting system just for a bit of retro. Otherwise making a dual-booting system and start from 1:

2: Download the 7.0.2 Mac patch and install this. This is an old patch so it may well be gone from any directory that I point you at by the time you read this. This is obviously an optional step.

3: Run Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and go to the directory with FM 2007 in it - probably doing "cd /Sports Interactive/FM 2007"

4: "chmod -R -rX fm.app"

5: "chmod 755 fm.app"

You can now close the Terminal window and run Football Manager 2007.

clnsdabst

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013

Registered just to say thanks and that THIS is the way to make it work. The last post claiming to clarify and rectify did not work for me.

niilii

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2013
Registered just to say thanks and that THIS is the way to make it work. The last post claiming to clarify and rectify did not work for me.

Hi guys! im really bad at this stuff so can someone please explain a little better how u do this? Cuz when i try this it only shows "No such file or directory". Please help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.