Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrsvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
I never set up time machine because I thought it was like Windows Restore, where you would just open up the application and be done with it; not having to set something up and use a external harddrive.

Is there anyway to restore to an earlier date cause a very very important file got overwritten

I dont care if it cost $5,000 it is extremely important

Last edited:

chrsvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Would it be possible for a file recovery service to get the previous file im willing to pay whatever to get the information back its that important

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I never set up time machine because I thought it was like Windows Restore, where you would just open up the application and be done with it; not having to set something up and use a external harddrive.
Is there anyway to restore to an earlier date cause a very very important file got overwritten
I dont care if it cost $5,000 it is extremely important
Time Machine can restore any or all your files to any given date -- that's exactly what it's for. You plug in a drive, and turn it on. That's all the "setting up" there is.
It's on an external drive because if it was the same drive as the source data, you wouldn't have any files when the drive failed. The whole point of a backup is that one failure doesn't take down everything.

Sadly, I suspect that overwriting the file, rather than deleting it, will have …. well, over-written the data. If you want to try data recovery, stop using the drive immediately (as new writes will be able to use that 'free space'). Then try data recovery software, or take it to some expensive disk recovery professionals. And you may have to pay the price you quoted.

I take it that you weren't using ANY backup strategy at all, then? Backups exist for a reason: you need them, and you will lose files without them.

chrsvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Time Machine can restore any or all your files to any given date -- that's exactly what it's for. You plug in a drive, and turn it on. That's all the "setting up" there is.
It's on an external drive because if it was the same drive as the source data, you wouldn't have any files when the drive failed. The whole point of a backup is that one failure doesn't take down everything.

Sadly, I suspect that overwriting the file, rather than deleting it, will have …. well, over-written the data. If you want to try data recovery, stop using the drive immediately (as new writes will be able to use that 'free space'). Then try data recovery software, or take it to some expensive disk recovery professionals. And you may have to pay the price you quoted.

I take it that you weren't using ANY backup strategy at all, then? Backups exist for a reason: you need them, and you will lose files without them.

Yes I was not using anything with the computer due to not using it often maybe once every couple of months and it has never been connected to an external hard drive or even had a flash drive in it; the only thing that has ever been plugged into the computer is the power adapter

The problem stems from an application crashing and taking all of the data of that app with it. Never had a issue with the computer ever before them

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yes I was not using anything with the computer due to not using it often maybe once every couple of months and it has never been connected to an external hard drive or even had a flash drive in it; the only thing that has ever been plugged into the computer is the power adapter

The problem stems from an application crashing and taking all of the data of that app with it. Never had a issue with the computer ever before them

What application is it? Did you actually SAVE the file?

chrsvv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
What application is it? Did you actually SAVE the file?

Chrome

I saved nothing. The browser was open I feel asleep and when awoke all data was gone from chrome.

I have went through the library and application support folders and its as if chrome was installed today

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Chrome

I saved nothing. The browser was open I feel asleep and when awoke all data was gone from chrome.

I have went through the library and application support folders and its as if chrome was installed today

If you had a Google account connected, all you'd have to do is sign back in for all your bookmarks.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Chrome.
So, what valuable data did you lose from a browser? If it's just bookmarks, then it's not as if you've lost those pages forever, you can just Google them and re-bookmark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.