Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
i want to buy 2 x 8gb ram today for my late 2012 iMac.

im in UK and ive seen the lowest prices on amazon around £80 free ddliv,
but some say some are low latencey and some say amazon labeled 1.5v wrongly and they are 1.65v etc so im confused

please can someone give me a link to the cheapest "good reliable" ram right now out there

thanks in advance ...hoping the ram will speed my imac up, doesnt seem that fast, and when i open a finder window sometimes its blank for 5 seconds ... weird ?

Lee2011

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Wales UK
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%203.4GHz%20Quad-Core%20Intel%20Core%20i7%20(27-inch%2C%20Late%202012)

Last edited:

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%203.4GHz%20Quad-Core%20Intel%20Core%20i7%20(27-inch%2C%20Late%202012)

thanks .. anyone else find cheaper and reliable brand ?

seems its really cheap for americans :-(

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
thanks .. anyone else find cheaper and reliable brand ?

seems its really cheap for americans :-(

It is cheaper for them but unfortunately we will have to just suck it up :(

I purchased 16GB of crucial RAM and added it to the 8GB that is already in my machine, bringing it to 24GB. Make sure you choose the correct RAM for your specific iMac.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGSTON-KHX16LS9P1K2-16-DDR3L-1600-SoDIMM/dp/B009W0ZFUY

I have this set in my iMac 21 inch. Not sure why it's so pricey in the UK but it's really good.

Well the crucial RAM is like £30 cheaper than what you've just posted.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KINGSTON-KHX16LS9P1K2-16-DDR3L-1600-SoDIMM/dp/B009W0ZFUY

I have this set in my iMac 21 inch. Not sure why it's so pricey in the UK but it's really good.

thanks for taking time to reply, but i was hoping for the price to be cheaper than the first posters `!!!! lol !!! :)

i heard ram is ram, pretty much all the same (taking into account speed etc ) so im looking for ram cheaper than £76 at crucial if i can ...

anyone got a good link ? :)

----------

It is cheaper for them but unfortunately we will have to just suck it up :(

I purchased 16GB of crucial RAM and added it to the 8GB that is already in my machine, bringing it to 24GB. Make sure you choose the correct RAM for your specific iMac.

Well the crucial RAM is like £30 cheaper than what you've just posted.

yeah thats what im looking to do , get my 2012 imac to 24gb ram ...

spent so much on the imac that im looking for a really good deal for ram for it :)

Ajay(UK)

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
UK
spent so much on the imac that im looking for a really good deal for ram for it :)

Having spent so much on your new imac why would you now compromise on a few quid for the extra ram? Crucial guarantee compatibility and anyone who has bought from crucial (myself included) will confirm it works without issue when installed with the factory supplied Apple Ram!

At best you are going to save a tenner or so why bother? :eek:

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Having spent so much on your new imac why would you now compromise on a few quid for the extra ram? Crucial guarantee compatibility and anyone who has bought from crucial (myself included) will confirm it works without issue when installed with the factory supplied Apple Ram!

At best you are going to save a tenner or so why bother? :eek:

good point :)

sold!

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Just thought that I would point out that we have identical specifications! What a great machine!

And I agree with this. As said above, i have installed mine with the stock RAM and they are all running perfectly at 1600Mhz.

Definitely go with Crucial.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Just thought that I would point out that we have identical specifications! What a great machine!

And I agree with this. As said above, i have installed mine with the stock RAM and they are all running perfectly at 1600Mhz.

Definitely go with Crucial.

thnks,

ok i just bout the memeory form crucial as per the link in the second post recommended for my 2012 iMac ...

it says 1.35V .. others ive seen say 1.5V ... how will this effect the performance ?

thanks ..hope it speeds up my iMac ...

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
thnks,

ok i just bout the memeory form crucial as per the link in the second post recommended for my 2012 iMac ...

it says 1.35V .. others ive seen say 1.5V ... how will this effect the performance ?

thanks ..hope it speeds up my iMac ...

I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

What spec iMac do you have?

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
i want to buy 2 x 8gb ram today for my late 2012 iMac.

im in UK and ive seen the lowest prices on amazon around £80 free ddliv,
but some say some are low latencey and some say amazon labeled 1.5v wrongly and they are 1.65v etc so im confused

please can someone give me a link to the cheapest "good reliable" ram right now out there

thanks in advance ...hoping the ram will speed my imac up, doesnt seem that fast, and when i open a finder window sometimes its blank for 5 seconds ... weird ?

Have you tried http://www.ebuyer.com they got some 8gb crucial at £48 each.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
In which case if you followed the link in the 2nd post, you've ordered the wrong RAM.

Here is what you should have ordered (I assume you meant 2.9Ghz, as there is no 2.8ghz model)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=5F1B022FA5CA7304

ooops ... thamks for the info, ill contact crucial and change my order

i also found you get £4 cashback via quidco.com in uk :)

UPDATE:
I Called and cancelled, a few minutes a go the price for the correct ram was £76 .. after i got off the phone, the price is now £82 ! WTF ...

Last edited:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
ooops ... thamks for the info, ill contact crucial and change my order

i also found you get £4 cashback via quidco.com in uk :)

UPDATE:
I Called and cancelled, a few minutes a go the price for the correct ram was £76 .. after i got off the phone, the price is now £82 ! WTF ...

Delivery. That's what I paid too.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Oops, my mistake.

I paid £77.59 for mine plus £3.99 for express delivery.

lol at least you ordered the right ram first time round, no mistake there :)

im gonna wait and see if the price goes back down on week days .. maybe they put the price up on fridays and weekend when most people probably buy ram from them ?

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
In which case if you followed the link in the 2nd post, you've ordered the wrong RAM.

Here is what you should have ordered (I assume you meant 2.9Ghz, as there is no 2.8ghz model)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=5F1B022FA5CA7304

hi

i contacted crucial to see if they can re activate my order at the £76 price and choose the correct ram,

they emailed me saying :

"I've looked into your order and I found that the RAM is also compatible with your iMac 2.9GHz (27-inch, Late 2012).

the ram i ordered is here :

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...z Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012)

can anyone tell me that its ok to use this ram with my 2.9 ghz 27 late 2012 imac please it says its for the 3.4ghz iMac .. which i didnt notice when i ordered?

thanks for your advice :) ...
"

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
hi

i contacted crucial to see if they can re activate my order at the £76 price and choose the correct ram,

they emailed me saying :

"I've looked into your order and I found that the RAM is also compatible with your iMac 2.9GHz (27-inch, Late 2012).

the ram i ordered is here :

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...z Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (27-inch, Late 2012)

can anyone tell me that its ok to use this ram with my 2.9 ghz 27 late 2012 imac please it says its for the 3.4ghz iMac .. which i didnt notice when i ordered?

thanks for your advice :) ...
"

I'd just go with the one that I linked. It's the one that matches your iMac. For £6, it's hardly something to worry about.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I'd just go with the one that I linked. It's the one that matches your iMac. For £6, it's hardly something to worry about.

thanks, crusial are saying that the ram i ordered will work fine with my imac, i just wanted to hear from people on this forum who know their ram if thats true or if theres a difference between the ram crusical are selling for the 3.4ghz and the 2.9 ghz ... thanks for your fast reply virginblue :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.