Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
How can I switch the audio output from line out (headphones) to the internal speakers without unplugging the mic. When I plug in the mic, the internal speakers option in System Preferences goes away. It is inconvenient to reach all the way around the back of the computer to unplug the headphones and then have the wire fall behind the desk and have to reach down and pick it up EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to switch outputs. There has got to be a way. Does anyone know?
Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The physical plug enables/disables the internal speakers. You can't do it without unplugging.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
System Preferences>Sound>Output.
No app needed.
Also tweak input to whatever is plugged in.

----------

The physical plug enables/disables the internal speakers. You can't do it without unplugging.

Can't you just change the selection after the device is plugged in?
Plugged in (Enabled default)
Open prefs and change to desired.
Works on Macbook and Mac Pro.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
If you hold Option while Clicking the speaker on the Menu Bar, you can switch without having to open System Preferences.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 5.42.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 5.42.49 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 14,984

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can't you just change the selection after the device is plugged in?
Plugged in (Enabled default)
Open prefs and change to desired.
Works on Macbook and Mac Pro.
When you plug in, the "Internal speakers" option becomes "Headphones", and "Internal speakers" is no longer an option. So you can't select both or select the internal speakers if the headphones or speaker is plugged in. At least that's how it works on my Macs.
If you hold Option while Clicking the speaker on the Menu Bar, you can switch without having to open System Preferences.
As you can see from your screen capture, Headphones are the only choice for output. Internal speakers is not available until you unplug the headphones/speakers.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
When you plug in, the "Internal speakers" option becomes "Headphones", and "Internal speakers" is no longer an option. So you can't select both or select the internal speakers if the headphones or speaker is plugged in. At least that's how it works on my Macs.

Your right. That's a lame function. I was thinking "Line out" and "Headphones" and the rest of my gear. iMac's have "Line in" and "Headphones" only. Maybe OP needs a Mac Pro;) They have line out, line in, and headphone up front. Headphone jack up front still controls the internal speaker. OP can get something like an iMic for 20.00 and have another USB/Optical in and out.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It's lame and no way around short of some hardware tweaking.

Once you discover it you eventually wind up going to USB headphones; I use the ones I use with my PS3. Plantronics had a nice adapter that allowed a stereo mini on one end and USB on the other.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
As you can see from your screen capture, Headphones are the only choice for output. Internal speakers is not available until you unplug the headphones/speakers.

Ok, I'm being slow today. Got what you're saying. Hell, now I want to know how to switch.
My Klipsch Pro-Medias show up as headphones, I hadn't really paid attention before.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I just found this thread from a long time ago that I started by searching for this topic on Google. In the time since I started this thread, I have purchased a pair of Plantronics USB headphones, and the problem has been solved some-what, as now I can switch output sources without unplugging the headphones, but 3.5 mm headphones still have the same problem. Through some testing, I noticed that on the same computer on Boot Camp, Windows 7 allows me to do this with 3.5 mm headphones, without plugging, so it must be a software thing.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
It's lame and no way around short of some hardware tweaking.

Once you discover it you eventually wind up going to USB headphones; I use the ones I use with my PS3. Plantronics had a nice adapter that allowed a stereo mini on one end and USB on the other.

Windows 7 on Boot Camp lets you do this.

Drummerbexx

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Might be a little late but I figured this out from another post. Set up a Multi output device in the MIDI menu in your utilities folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.