Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Evernote yesterday updated its iOS app to version 5.2, adding a new Snippet View for iPad, a new PDF viewer, new formatting options and more.

The company detailed the update on its blog, noting that Snippet view allows users to quickly scan their notes. The update also allows Evernote Business users to use Business Notebooks as offline notebooks. The Evernote Trunk, which is an app store for Evernote apps, is available within the app as well.

Some users are experiencing crashes after upgrading, but Evernote says that it's aware of the problem and that a fix is in testing and will be available as soon as possible.

ios_snippet.png
What's New in Version 5.2

We are aware that some users are experiencing crashes on upgrade. We are testing a fix for this issue and will get a new version to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, uninstalling and reinstalling the app should resolve the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Snippets
- New Snippet View is great for quickly scanning your notes

Better PDF Viewing
- New PDF viewer
- Multipage preview screen for PDFs
- Search inside of your PDFs to find what you need
- Turn your iPad to get a 2-page view
- New rotation lock option lets you lock your view

Formatting Options
- Simplify Text: Cleans up formatting. Great for web clips.
- Plain Text: Converts the note into plain text

Evernote Business
- Business Notebooks can be set as Offline Notebooks
- View your company's Business Library from your iPad

The Trunk
- See hundreds of partners that expand your Evernote experience in the Trunk

Other Improvements
- Open PDFs and images in email, airprint and other supported apps
- Better handling of large note uploads and timeout issues
- Various bug fixes
Evernote is a universal app and is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Evernote for iOS Updated with Snippet Viewer for iPad, New PDF Viewer

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Never been able to get into using Evernote.

It seems like a slick app too.

I'm running with a combo of Wunderlist, default notes app and Pocket for remembering things. Works well for me.

Maybe I'm missing the point/not the target audience for it... :confused:

steipete

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
PDF viewer

Evernote 5.2 now also uses the PSPDFKit iOS SDK (http://pspdfkit.com) for their PDF viewer, so we should see support for annotations (highlights, ink drawings, etc) in the near future. All they need to do is to enable a property.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011

I'm running with a combo of Wunderlist, default notes app and Pocket for remembering things. Works well for me.

Same here. I just don't get this app but I've seen people live and die by it. MAybe I just don't know how to use it. I'm satisfied with drop box alone.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

Same here. I just don't get this app but I've seen people live and die by it. MAybe I just don't know how to use it. I'm satisfied with drop box alone.

It depends on what you do. I'm finishing a PhD in education, and I use it all the time in conjunction with Dropbox and ToDo.

I have notebooks for all my current and future research, teaching (lesson plans especially, but also a shared notebook for my students to post things in), a new blog I'm working on, articles/books that I read, and just about everything else.

The notes sync between my desktop, laptop, ipad, iphone, and I can get them online no problem. Very much like Dropbox, but to do this in Dropbox I would need endless Word docs. Well, 583 docs at this point...

Tagging and cross-listing in notebooks is great. You can even drop photos/PDFs/whatever into the notes in-line or as attachments. The new integration with Penultimate offers a great way to use your own handwritten notes. After a sync, you get handwriting recognition and can search within your handwritten notes. You can even get that same effect by taking a picture of a note.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.