Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
So you did the smart thing, yours was cheaper, faster delivered and of the same quality.

Let me rephrase that statement a little bit: after reading the comments on the Nifty kickstarter page from customers who have received their drives, they are a complete mess, badly build and have traces of glue everywhere. They also report that because the way the drive is made, an error occurs when you try to save something to the microsd card. The computer thinks that the sd card is write protected so it doesn't allow writing to it. This can be remedied by sticking a piece of paper behind the microsd card or cutting a notch in the Nifty drive. :mad: Conclusion: even your build quality is better.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Er hello.... Just a few posts above I posted that I'd received my mini drive and all was well. None of the problems you mention and I'm sure that's true for most people. Remember the Internet rule that happy customers never post but the unhappy always do....

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
Sure I know, It's mostly disgruntled people who seek out forums to post their grievances, but let's be honest here, If you look at the messages people post on the kickstarter board and see the pictures of the received drives they took, well I'm not at all impressed by the build quality. A fair number of people are reporting that the metal part oft the front of the Nifty drive came loose from the plastic part of the card even before using it. And the metal part is the part your are pulling at to take the card out of your computer! Also, the not being able to write to the card-error because the microsd card slides to deep in the Nifty drive, is a defect that should have been caught in the test phase of the project. A proposed workaround is to stick a piece of scotch tape over the card, so the SD slot doesn't think your card is write-protected. That's just sloppy. And remember: these are just the customers reporting in who have received their drives. The rest of us are still waiting...

siepjan

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Er hello.... Just a few posts above I posted that I'd received my mini drive and all was well. None of the problems you mention and I'm sure that's true for most people. Remember the Internet rule that happy customers never post but the unhappy always do....

I can confirm your explenation.

Here is also a very happy Nifty MiniDrive user! :D
No read problem and also no breaking parts (maybe because I am very careful?).

Only comment I have that I recieved also a extra Nifty MiniDrive Retina (silver) that I didn't ordered/payed :p I don't even own a Macbook Pro Retina... So are here any interested buyers??? :rolleyes:

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
but what can I say? There's no evidence of a design defect in my minidrive -my SDXC card went straight in, reads and writes. So is that a design defect or just a couple of dodgy early units that missed QC?

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
Yes, I received mine last Tuesday.(phew, it only took 6 months) The one I bought for my Air works flawlessly, the one for my MacBook Pro sadly has the read-only error.:( I've tried the workaround that was posted on the Kickstarter message board and it works. You have to stick a piece of tape over the microSD card. I've mailed the people from Nifty to ask how they are going to remedy this. I'm waiting for an answer.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I finally got a refund. By the time I got the darn thing, I would be buying a replacement system (June-July). And then it may not work for the new system. So I will wait, let QA get settled down and inventory levels up, then I will try again with the new 'puter.

LordDeath

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
I also received my Nifty MiniDrive and it is working well in my MBA. But there seems to be a problem with Time Machine:
Whenever I open its settings the SD Card appears in the list of excluded items. It seems like Apple is preventing backups of removable media.
Is there a known workaround for this "feature"?

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I also received my Nifty MiniDrive and it is working well in my MBA. But there seems to be a problem with Time Machine:
Whenever I open its settings the SD Card appears in the list of excluded items. It seems like Apple is preventing backups of removable media.
Is there a known workaround for this "feature"?

It might be the format...

I ordered "The Minidrive" from amazon.. I'll be sure to post a review, soon as my retina get here

LordDeath

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Why not FAT32...

Is was going to move some big folders from ~/Library/Application\ Support/ to the MicroSD Card and in their place leave behind a symlink pointing to the new location. Fat32 doesn't have the usual permissions management and other important features.
And afaik Time Machine only works with HFS+ file systems. (both for target and source)

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Received my Nifty Minidrive Air today. Quality seems decent (not excellent, but pretty good). Fits well (barely feel it slightly sunk in when sliding my finger over it) and no read/write issues. Color matches very nicely with Apple's aluminum. Other than possibly it being all aluminum there is not much I can find fault with it.

Since I do not think anyone has posted pictures I took a few (You will have to live with cell phone pics since that's all I got).

photofeb2855415pm.jpg

photofeb2855443pm.jpg

photofeb2855224pm.jpg

photofeb2855153pm.jpg

photofeb2855319pm.jpg

photofeb2855047pm.jpg

LordDeath

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Is there a way to mark the SDCard as an internal drive? This way we could get rid of the eject button in Finder and maybe this would solve my Time Machine issue.

LordDeath

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Has anyone noticed this? https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392
According to Apple the "Suspend To Disk"-mode (S4) will not work as long as a SD card is inserted into the slot.
Are we now really limited to the "Suspend To Ram"-mode (S3) or is this knowledge base entry outdated?

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011
If anyone couldn't get in on the first wave of nifty drives and is interested, PM me. I ordered a silver one and ended up getting an 11" Air instead of the 13".

Kelped

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
Received my Nifty Minidrive Air today. Quality seems decent (not excellent, but pretty good). Fits well (barely feel it slightly sunk in when sliding my finger over it) and no read/write issues. Color matches very nicely with Apple's aluminum. Other than possibly it being all aluminum there is not much I can find fault with it.

Since I do not think anyone has posted pictures I took a few (You will have to live with cell phone pics since that's all I got).

Very nice. It looks like the minidrives are out of stock until May, but some people are still selling them on Amazon for $20. Where'd you get yours from, and how much did you pay?

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Very nice. It looks like the minidrives are out of stock until May, but some people are still selling them on Amazon for $20. Where'd you get yours from, and how much did you pay?

I was part of the initial group who funded the kickstarter project.

pat12

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Is there any good solution for 13" MBP Retina? :confused:

I ordered theminidrive (http://theminidrive.com) which is a copy of the Nifty, they said on the homepage that it would work but it didn´t and they then changed the information on their homepage.

I am now looking for a good solution to expand my storage by at least 32-64GB without having anything that is sticking out from the laptop. Any ideas?

jkim13

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
I just bought a minidrive from Amazon. Received it in 2 days and it's working great! There are a couple different versions on there. One that says for both Pro and Air which is the cheapest ($20). There's one for the Air, and another one for Pro which are more expensive ($30). If you get the ones specific for Air or Pro, it comes with a painted plastic edge that looks almost the same as Nifty. The other ones don't have a plastic edge and comes with a piece of tape as a removal tool

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.