Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130766846265?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought an iPod Nano 6th gen refurbished on ebay for 90 bucks (did a best offer) and was offered a choice between Square Trade or Geek Squad insurance.

I'm a bit curious about the Geek Squad one being an avid shopper of Best Buy.
Has anyone ever used this "Smart Care" service with Accidental (ADH)?

I mean essentially I could accidentally drop a weight on my Nano at the gym and Geek Squad would cover the repair or replacement right?
I've bought Geek Squad (Best Buy Warranty) before and it always worked out great for me but never got Accidental and never got the service they offer for EBAY customers.

Anyone had experience with this can enlighten me of the pros and cons? It's the only Extended Warranty I really get for this purchase since it's not Apple Refurbished product and I only have 30 days covered from my date of purchase currently.

Last edited:

jzwack

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Hi MrXiro,

My name is Joe. I'm one of the people here at Geek Squad who helped create the Smart Care program on eBay (I'm more of the IT guy that was involved). I believe I can answer your question.

If you did purchase the ADH plan, and accidentally dropped your device at the gym we would for sure cover that. Depending on when it happens and how much the device is worth, we will either fix the item, provide a replacement, or provide you a 'cash out' for the value you paid at our discretion.

For more specific coverage information I recommend you check out the full Terms and Conditions of the plan. There are some instances we don't cover in the ADH plan:
http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-plans/terms-and-conditions-supplemental.aspx

The only caveat to our Smart Care plan is that we don't cover the plans in our Best Buy locations. All fulfillment for these plans is provided over the phone (we would ship you a box at our expense if we need to).

I hope this answers your question!

Joe

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Is it really worth buying a warranty/insurance on a refurbished $90 iPod?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Is it really worth buying a warranty/insurance on a refurbished $90 iPod?

Well, at the rate the power button fails on the Nano I'll probably have to get it fixed within the first year, it might be worth it. 18 dollars covers 2 years, I wouldn't mind getting 90 dollars in at worst sometime in the next 2 years if my iPod happens to die, fail or befall some unfortunate accident.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Hi MrXiro,

My name is Joe. I'm one of the people here at Geek Squad who helped create the Smart Care program on eBay (I'm more of the IT guy that was involved). I believe I can answer your question.

If you did purchase the ADH plan, and accidentally dropped your device at the gym we would for sure cover that. Depending on when it happens and how much the device is worth, we will either fix the item, provide a replacement, or provide you a 'cash out' for the value you paid at our discretion.

For more specific coverage information I recommend you check out the full Terms and Conditions of the plan. There are some instances we don't cover in the ADH plan:
http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-plans/terms-and-conditions-supplemental.aspx

The only caveat to our Smart Care plan is that we don't cover the plans in our Best Buy locations. All fulfillment for these plans is provided over the phone (we would ship you a box at our expense if we need to).

I hope this answers your question!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the answers. Being an Apple product (iPod Nano 6th gen) do you know if it would be one that you would need me to send back to fix or would you cover up to $90 for Apple to repair (replace is all they actually do for iPods at the retail store)

Just stuff I'm curious about. If I were able to get Applecare for it. I would have been able to just take it to Apple and gotten another refurbished one.

My iPod is also a Product Red model, which are a little more scarce than the other colored models.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.