Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Hi guys,

I'm suddenly having problems with Google Sync on my iPhone 4. When I open Mail it says "Cannot Get Mail; The connection to the server failed". My other exchange account works fine. I know all of my settings are correct because Gmail is coming through on my iPad via Google Sync without any problems.

I've tried:

1) deleting and re-adding the account
2) turning the phone on and off
3) disconnecting from wifi and reconnecting (the problem occurs with wifi and 3G)

What could be causing this? Like I said, mail is coming through on my iPad but for some reason it isn't coming through on my phone.

If anyone has any suggestions they'd be most appreciated!

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
You cannot have Exchange account sync anymore. Get the gmail app or IMAP with no push.

When you update your iPad that will stop working too (even if you do a backup restore)

http://i.imgur.com/Ggyp2gx.png

Thanks! It's weird, I'm running the same OS on both my iPhone and my iPad. I'm surprised the iPad is working then. I'll have to look into the gmail app - does that have push?

EDITED TO ADD: just read that it does. Thank you. Will check the app store for this.

V0RT3X

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Yes. But I liked the stock app as it launched instantly, the gmail needs a few seconds if it's not backgrounded.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Yes. But I liked the stock app as it launched instantly, the gmail needs a few seconds if it's not backgrounded.

Thank you! Do you mean that it sometimes takes a few seconds for messages to come through if not open in the background? Even then, still better than the fetch or manual options, I suppose!

Vader2

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
This really sucks. I just replaced my 4s with another 4s and am now experiencing the gmail lockout. I knew this was happening, but wasn't too bothered by it because I thought existing accounts would have no problem - oops. Looks like I may be transitioning to apple email and calendar after all...

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
OP, if you don't mind me asking, did you end up doing the $5/mo thing with your gmail account? Or did you switch to the gmail app?

I must admit, when I got my iPad yesterday and discovered this "no-longer-supported gmail activesync," I was so pissed off...

Now I am trying to determine if I wanted to move to another email account, get the gmail app, or pay $5 to keep my activesync going.

Vader2

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2013
OP, if you don't mind me asking, did you end up doing the $5/mo thing with your gmail account? Or did you switch to the gmail app?

I must admit, when I got my iPad yesterday and discovered this "no-longer-supported gmail activesync," I was so pissed off...

Now I am trying to determine if I wanted to move to another email account, get the gmail app, or pay $5 to keep my activesync going.

This is exactly where I am at with it. At first I was trying to tell myself that maybe I wouldn't miss active sync - I do. I may end up paying to upgrade, but I doubt it. I am still on the waiting list for the mailbox app and that is supposed to support push, so I may go with that. I'm just not a fan of the gmail app.

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
This is exactly where I am at with it. At first I was trying to tell myself that maybe I wouldn't miss active sync - I do. I may end up paying to upgrade, but I doubt it. I am still on the waiting list for the mailbox app and that is supposed to support push, so I may go with that. I'm just not a fan of the gmail app.

Same here. The gmail app completely sucked when it first came out, and I can only imagine that it probably got just a little bit better now. Besides, I don't want to have to check my mail in two different locations.

I've tried the mailbox app too, and I wasn't too impressed to be honest. I didn't see what the long wait was for. To me, it's nothing but an enhanced stock Mailbox app which just supports gestures, nothing more or less... Just my opinion though, seems like other people feel as though they can manage their mail better.

I might just consider doing the $5/month thing before you know it, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.