Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Strategically, I don't think they're in a good position at all. With iOS they banked on the future of tablets being touch only (which is why they eliminated the mouse pointer) and ARM based. By keeping iOS separate, they were also able to use the platform to create a walled garden full of cheap software, which was a big key to their financial success.

The only reason to merge tablet and laptop is to take advantage of the x86 ecosystem. They have no way of harnessing this advantage without killing iOS.

I can't help but agree with you. I realize I was being an optimist, but this is what's so difficult about running a public company. When Apple developed the iPhone, they acknowledged they were going to cannibalize their iPod sales, but they went through with it anyway. That is what I suggest they do here.

I can see why you'd feel they need to make this product using an x86 processor, and you may be right. However, my thinking is they put significant developement into IOS 6 with a significant UI update, support for the use of a mouse, and develop a device that is able to work as a tablet, but also support the traditional use of a laptop. If they can pull it off, it would be better if they stayed with IOS 6 because the graphics and processor cost less which would allow them to keep their margins but still provide an affordable product. They days of $1,000 plus devices commanding enough market share for Apple to grow are over.

Whether they go your route or mine, you are probably correct unless they have kept such a project secret with some development time behind it. I would think if they started development and did it correctly, they could be looking at 3 years of development. Whatever it may be the case, when you get to the size of Apple, you have to find a new market and I think this has potential if developed correctly, and the release handled correctly. Apple also has to keep their reputation as an innovator in the mean time, or whatever they release wouldn't be taken seriously.

DAVIDUGLY

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
Our first one arrived today.

It's BRILLIANT, a real game changer, and the $1299
is a HUGE bargain.
From the build quality to the reason for it's existence...

In 6 hours I have moved everything around and now am running
our entire company from Pixel.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
15-inch retina MacBook Pro: 2880x1800 resolution in a 15.4-inch laptop: pixel density of 220 ppi (pixels per inch)

13-inch retina MacBook Pro: 2560x1600 resolution in a 13.3-inch laptop: pixel density of 227 ppi

Chromebook Pixel: 2560x1700 resolution in a 12.85-inch laptop: pixel density of 239 ppi

Google Chromebook Pixel does not have the highest resolution of any laptop. The 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display does. But the Pixel has the highest pixel density, even higher than any Mac Apple has ever released.

iPad retina: pixel density of 264ppi

Add a bluetooh keyboard to an iPad and call it a laptop. iPad with bluetooth keyboard can do a lot more than the Chromebook Pixel.

----------

My samsung chromebook weighs 2.4lbs - the current iPad? 1.44. Not less than half.

C: runs for 6 hours. i: up to 10 hours. Not more than twice

Maybe your list (at least the first two) are based on the Pixel and not ALL chromebooks?

There are pluses and minuses to both devices. It really comes down to individual use cases. I have both devices and use them both quite differently with some overlap.

Aren't we talking about the Chromebook Pixel?

If you samsung chromebook weighs 2.4lbs, my iPad Mini weights under 1lb so your chromebook still weights more than twice as much.

We are talking about a $1299 Chromebook pixel. Not a $249 Chromebook.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Actually, a similarly equipped MBA 13" with four times the SSD/Storage is actually cheaper. With USB 3.0 and BT 4

and probably 1.5-2x the battery life to boot.

(reviews of the pixel are showing between 3.5-4 hours battery life)

LOL, similarly equipped with an awful screen.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Add a bluetooh keyboard to an iPad and call it a laptop. iPad with bluetooth keyboard can do a lot more than the Chromebook Pixel.

It may be.

It is also possible to connect a bluetooth keyboard to a Google Nexus 10 tablet, which has an even higher pixel density of 299 ppi. One may argue that the Nexus 10 is also a more capable device than the Chromebook Pixel.

The Pixel is a different device, however. It has a Core i5 processor, much more powerful than the ones found in the iPad and Android tablets. It is not clear to me what Google is trying to achieve with this. But we should not rule out the possibility of Google making ChromeOS a better operating system that could rival Windows and OS X in the future.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
The Pixel is a different device, however. It has a Core i5 processor, much more powerful than the ones found in the iPad and Android tablets. It is not clear to me what Google is trying to achieve with this. But we should not rule out the possibility of Google making ChromeOS a better operating system that could rival Windows and OS X in the future.

The pixel might have a more powerful processor.

Problem is that apps run on top of the Chrome browser, which means most apps would be slower running on a Core i5 Chromebook than iOS apps that are compiled for the ARM A6 chip.

Possibility of ChromeOS being a better OS that could rival Windows and OSX? Haha... definitely not speed or feature wise.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
This thread is still full of people in denial about how much of a failure this notebook is. An expensive Xerox copy of Apple's Retina Mac - imagine Apple would release something like that with an iPad screen and functionality for the SAME price - people here would not leave Apple alone. Now, suddenly Google deserves a pass? Nope.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The pixel might have a more powerful processor.

Problem is that apps run on top of the Chrome browser, which means most apps would be slower running on a Core i5 Chromebook than iOS apps that are compiled for the ARM A6 chip.

Well, I haven't seen a Chromebook Pixel yet, and I cannot tell if it turns out to be any better or worse than an iPad or a high-end Android tablet with a keyboard.

Possibility of ChromeOS being a better OS that could rival Windows and OSX? Haha... definitely not speed or feature wise.

That would hardly happen. But Google may have something on the sleeves. Like most of you, I don't see any sense in Google releasing such a laptop, unless it plans to make ChromeOS much better than it already is. I see why people would pay US$ 250 on a Chromebook, but I can't see someone spending US$ 1,300 on hardware that can only run a web browser...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

----------

Aren't we talking about the Chromebook Pixel?

If you samsung chromebook weighs 2.4lbs, my iPad Mini weights under 1lb so your chromebook still weights more than twice as much.

We are talking about a $1299 Chromebook pixel. Not a $249 Chromebook.

Yes. I believe we should be talking about the Pixel. Yet I'm not sure the person I responded to was talking about the Pixel - or chromebooks in general. They weren't specific.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I think this is more of a warning shot. Google wants to be HW and SW while it's not price competitive it does portend Googles future direction.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
This thread is still full of people in denial about how much of a failure this notebook is. An expensive Xerox copy of Apple's Retina Mac - imagine Apple would release something like that with an iPad screen and functionality for the SAME price - people here would not leave Apple alone. Now, suddenly Google deserves a pass? Nope.

I would LOVE for Apple to release a $1,300 Retina MBP that can only run Safari. I would buy two on launch day!

LOL.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Google Can Do No Wrong ™

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
How is a widescreen not good for working on?

I just don't think it is the best aspect ratio to work on documents that are formatted for 8.5 x 11" pages which is what I do a lot of. It is OK if you want two pages side-by-side. I tried rotating my monitor to portrait and didn't like it.

Renzatic

Suspended
Um, the whole UI of their home screen, as of today, Samesung Wallet just to rub it in your Apple hating eyes.

Um, what's that? A grid of icons? They basic layout of iOS isn't much different than what people used back during the PDA stone ages. The biggest difference between then and now is it's generally prettier, and has nice, smooth animations.

Android's home screens are quite a bit different than what you get in iOS. On the surface they look pretty similar, as in you have rows of icons you touch with your finger to activate, but beyond that? There's not all that much in common. Android is hardly what I'd call a clone.

Hey look. I'm having this conversation again like it hasn't been discussed to death 1000 times before! If he responds to me at all, I bet he calls me an Apple Hater or a stupid Fandroid.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Um, what's that? A grid of icons? They basic layout of iOS isn't much different than what people used back during the PDA stone ages. The biggest difference between then and now is it's generally prettier, and has nice, smooth animations.

Android's home screens are quite a bit different than what you get in iOS. On the surface they look pretty similar, as in you have rows of icons you touch with your finger to activate, but beyond that? There's not all that much in common. Android is hardly what I'd call a clone.

Hey look. I'm having this conversation again like it hasn't been discussed to death 1000 times before! If he responds to me at all, I bet he calls me an Apple Hater or a stupid Fandroid.

If you have had this conversation 1000 times before then obviously something is going on isn't it.

Renzatic

Suspended
If you have had this conversation 1000 times before then obviously something is going on isn't it.

Yeah. None of you people listen. The way these things usually go is we'll have this conversation, you'll fire something back at me, I'll (usually but not always) prove you wrong, you'll cry, call me an Apple Hater, probably throw out a few :rolleyes:, act smarmy, and bolt off.

Then...

...you'll show up in some other thread saying the exact same things. The circle of life then closes, and a bunch of lions start singing.

It's as beautiful as it is obnoxious. Like a polka dance that never changes, forever going on and on until the world's ending.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah. None of you people listen. The way these things usually go is we'll have this conversation, you'll fire something back at me, I'll (usually but not always) prove you wrong, you'll cry, call me an Apple Hater, probably throw out a few :rolleyes:, act smarmy, and bolt off.

Then...

...you'll show up in some other thread saying the exact same things. The circle of life then closes, and a bunch of lions start singing.

It's as beautiful as it is obnoxious. Like a polka dance that never changes, forever going on and on until the world's ending.

and you are like the King of Correctness and can never be wrong right? As far as I am concerned you are just as much a keyboard warrior than the people you argue with. The fact that you have to get all quick breathed to quickly shoot down people against your opinion shows that you are on their very level.

----------

People can argue whether or not the device suits them or not. And even the fact that the limited OS makes this an expensive purchase (assuming you're not going to rent 1TB of cloud storage anyway which would make this device a nice freebie)

But those that want to argue this device is "crap" should read this review.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/chromebook-pixel-review/#continued

It appears that the actual hardware is quite nice indeed.

just noticed your name and decided to read what you had to say. Why is it everything that I read from you anti the majority? You may as well just jump to a different forum buddy. You will never get your way here. http://androidforums.com Here you go

----------

Or you don't post the links because your claims are false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

----------

Why is not fully secure?

Because your name gets stored in the cache when viewing this site

----------

Obviously he heard some sheep spout that android wasn't secure, so it must be true right ? :confused:

it runs on Java. Enough said.

----------

Just showed this to the guys in my office, they haven't stopped laughing yet;)

Everyone I know in real life laughs at this, even the hardcore android people thought it was a joke. About the only people who like it are Oletros and Samcraig. I would feel sorry for them if they were not such.... *mute for ban protection*

Renzatic

Suspended
and you are like the King of Correctness and can never be wrong right? As far as I am concerned you are just as much a keyboard warrior than the people you argue with. The fact that you have to get all quick breathed to quickly shoot down people against your opinion shows that you are on their very level.

Quick breathed? It took me like two days to respond to you.

Also...

THE TRUTHHHHHHH! It burns my skin like the sun I never go out into because I spend all my time inside arguing with people on the internet!

OH GOD! MY PRIDE AND SENSE OF SELF WORTH! IT'S BEEN...WOUNDED!

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
1300? What are they smoking? Seriously.

Muddy ground, people continually pay these kind of prices for Apple products without batting an eyelid.

As the guy said it's premium hardware, so carries a premium price.

Would I buy one? Absolutely not, price is way too step for what is essentially a crippled OS. Sorry Google I like a lot of what you do, but chrome OS, way too limited in it's functionality to require this kind of hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.