Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
I do this, but it's such a pain. Would prefer the laptop "just works" ;)

Well while you are perfectly right that it's easier if it "just works" i think it's not THAT bad clicking the tethering button once for sharing internet connection... at least to me that seems the better option compared to getting yet another mobile data contract ...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
even if I did have total lack of knowledge, it doesn't take many brain cells to see that this pixel book is basically a $1300 smartphone but of course if you want to buy it go ahead, just don't try to defend your purchase here because 90% of people on this forum have common sense.

I know you only have the baseline Macbook Air so this pixel thing wouldn't seem too far off for you but some of us realise that even Apple computers are a bargain compared to it and run a real OS that isn't just for watching youtube and checking email (browser mode too btw).

Actually - it's not. Smartphone run local apps. The chromebook (ChromeOS) has few of these.

As I said earlier in this thread - the Pixel is a confusing beast. While of GREAT build quality (from what I've read) and specs - limited OS makes it a pricey deal. If you get one and run Linux on it - great - but you can do that for less.

The only real immediate sense it makes to get a Pixel is if you are planning on using 1TB of storage. Because if you are - you're getting it for "free."

Chromebooks in general aren't bad at all. They are great for what they do. But value diminishes exponentially after the $300 mark.

My .02

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Actually - it's not. Smartphone run local apps. The chromebook (ChromeOS) has few of these.

As I said earlier in this thread - the Pixel is a confusing beast. While of GREAT build quality (from what I've read) and specs - limited OS makes it a pricey deal. If you get one and run Linux on it - great - but you can do that for less.

The only real immediate sense it makes to get a Pixel is if you are planning on using 1TB of storage. Because if you are - you're getting it for "free."

Chromebooks in general aren't bad at all. They are great for what they do. But value diminishes exponentially after the $300 mark.

My .02

Clap, clap. So why couldn't we have had this conversation to begin with instead of you getting all frustrated with me commenting on the price tag. Don't answer by the way lol

----------

No thanks

Ill buy an iPad for cheaper.

Cannot believe Google thinks this price is even reasonable, I would say the profit margin on this exceeds 75%

:apple:

I feel really sorry for the people who buy it to review it. I bet they are kicking themselves when paying but they know they have to.. I know they are going to make more money off it from the review but their minds would be like I am funding financial terrorism basically.

----------

Apparently some people are starting to believe Apple invented the keynote presentation these days.

"I mean comeon! It was a guy onstage standing in front of an audience! Steve Jobs anyone? How much more of a ripoff can you be"?

Ahhh you must be one of those people who think if they own the tool they are already a professional at it right? You buy a video camera and you are a hollywood movie director. Guess what. Keynote doesn't even come into the equation. It is about how you do it, not what it is done by.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
The hardware is nice but the main problem it has imo in relation to the price tag is the OS. While I get the idea behind it, I think Chrome OS still has some way to go before it can be considered as a truly viable OS choice for those outside the current niche market it satisfies at the moment. If Google puts Android in it or even merges both Android and Chrome OS, giving us a premium Android based Chromebook in the Pixel, then I am sure the overall impression on it would have been much different and also far more positive than it is now.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I think its the screen..Apple no longer has the only retina, and the worst part is it's arch enemy Google that made it..

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Clap, clap. So why couldn't we have had this conversation to begin with instead of you getting all frustrated with me commenting on the price tag. Don't answer by the way lol

----------

Ahhh you must be one of those people who think if they own the tool they are already a professional at it right? You buy a video camera and you are a hollywood movie director. Guess what. Keynote doesn't even come into the equation. It is about how you do it, not what it is done by.

Clap for yourself for finally getting my posts. I've maintained the same position in the entire thread. And you're flattering yourself if you think you frustrate me. I would have to care enough about what you post for that to occur. I don't.

As for your second response (to Renzatic) - Are you being intentionally obtuse. Or making a joke? He wasn't talking about the software "keynote" - he was talking about the type of presentation one does at a conference. As in - being a keynote speaker.

But thanks for the laugh - your mistake was hilarious.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Still cheaper than a comparable 13" MacBook Air, and yeah, lots of people just use the browser and a few simple apps. That's the point.

Ummm no, the MBA 128GB is £999

The Chromebook Pixel is £1049

(both in GBP)

The MBA has 4 times the storage and a full desktop OS. for £50 less.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Looks like a real nice computer...

BUT why on earth does Google have to copy everything apple does. Even the advertisement.... Where the designer sits and talks about the product... I feel seriously sorry for Google.

Pathetic really

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think this video makes a good point about the Chromebook Pixel, it's intended audience and purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.