Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
I have over a hundred movies, slowly curating it. Adding some deleting others, truly trying to obtain the most diverse collection. TV shows i have quite a few too, almost a 1000 episodes, Sopranos, Rome, Lost, Heroes, etc. How you rolling?

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I have 238 HD movies from blu rays. Almost 980 GB.

I have 23 different TV shows for 975 GB.

Just under 2 TB of video.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I guess you make your rounds to give us this wealth of info, you are in the other threads doing the same thing, while not providing any info relevant to your collection. But again i thank you.
I just posted other threads that contain information related to your question that you may not be aware of. Use them or don't.

From the Forum Rules:
The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a relevant thread

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
I just posted other threads that contain information related to your question that you may not be aware of. Use them or don't.

Yeah, the OP should have done a search, but it probably would have been less antagonistic had you posted this ^ initially along with the links.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I have a handful of home videos of my kids, and about a dozen movies I couldn't bear to part with.

I record TV shows with eyetv every week and delete them when watched.

Everything else is in the cloud, and I'm vry happy with that. I'm able to simplify things quite a bit that way.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Why not?

Care to attempt justify your baseless comment?

Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries? How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?

It's analogous to hoarding stuff in real life (also called "collecting" by those in denial). It's always a waste of time.

When I want to watch something, I rent it and watch it. Cheaper in the long run, both in terms of money and time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries?
It may be for you, but not for everyone else. For example, I've invested 10+ years and thousands of hours building and refining my music library, and it's well worth it to me. Building the movie library has been much less time consuming.
How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?
Of course, you're making assumptions about the watching habits of others, which are not all the same. For example, I have several hundred movies, along with TV shows and other videos. I watch them quite frequently, or I wouldn't have bought them. I don't buy a movie if I intend to watch it only once.
It's analogous to hoarding stuff in real life (also called "collecting" by those in denial). It's always a waste of time.
That is false. Some may consider it a waste of time to play golf or spend time on an internet forum, or watch football games, etc. For others, it's a pastime or hobby that is entertaining. Just because it's a waste of time in your mind doesn't make it true for others.
When I want to watch something, I rent it and watch it. Cheaper in the long run, both in terms of money and time.
If you only watch a movie once, that obviously works for you. For those who watch media multiple times, renting is more expensive.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries? How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?

Your way obviously works for you. I like to watch and collect digital media from what I deem worthy of possession, I don't have a large physical collection anymore. The TV show collections that I have I tend to watch ever couple of years or so, same with my movies. Music is timeless and you can never have to much. Money isn't a concern for me, maybe it's your situation that it is and that's why renting works for you.

Different doesn't mean wrong, just means we are different. You may have stumbled into this thread on accident.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Your way obviously works for you. I like to watch and collect digital media from what I deem worthy of possession, I don't have a large physical collection anymore. The TV show collections that I have I tend to watch ever couple of years or so, same with my movies. Music is timeless and you can never have to much. Money isn't a concern for me, maybe it's your situation that it is and that's why renting works for you.

Different doesn't mean wrong, just means we are different. You may have stumbled into this thread on accident.

It has nothing to do with money. Just time. People waste so much of it maintaining these digital libraries! I'll be honest, I think you're lying about watching your TV shows every few years. I think you plan on doing that but never actually get around to it. That's how it is 99% of the time with digital media hoarders. They love to build "collections" because adding a new asset gives them a dopamine hit. It's a temporary happiness that is quickly replaced by the need to find the next acquisition. The compulsion one feels to collect stuff -- digital or non-digital -- is a disease.

Oh well. Carry on, I guess.

Last edited:

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I buy iTunes movies and TV show pilots to be able to play on flights and places I go who have poor or costly or even no broadband. I don't have pay TV so the money we save pays for what ever we buy over a month on iTunes. I hate going to the movies and having people talk or eating out of plastic bags or kicking the back of my seat.:(

----------

Don't leave you movies in the cloud as you could loose some due to the movie studios cancelling the lease of the movie to you. Make sure and download all movies and store them.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
People waste so much of it maintaining these digital libraries!
Again, it's only your opinion that it's a waste of time. For those who appreciate music and movies and play them often, it's certainly not a waste.

I'll be honest, I think you're lying about watching your TV shows every few years. I think you plan on doing that but never actually get around to it.
I'll be honest, I'm positive that you have absolutely no idea what the OP or others watch or don't watch or how often. Your posts are filled with opinion and assumption with no basis in fact.

That's how it is 99% of the time with digital media hoarders.
Post a link to the independent survey where you got this assumption.

They love to build "collections" because adding a new asset gives them a dopamine hit. It's a temporary happiness that is quickly replaced by the need to find the next acquisition. The compulsion one feels to collect stuff -- digital or non-digital -- is a disease.
So now, in addition to knowing the watching habits of complete strangers, you also can psychoanalyze them without ever meeting them. Such superpowers you have! :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you can't force the world to conform to your inaccurate perception of it or make people adjust their likes, dislikes, values and habits based on your individual preferences and opinion. People are different. Get used to it.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
I have to agree with GGJ, on another note this thread is no longer worth the time because it got derailed by nonsense from another user without meaningful contribution other than assuming his/her way should be everyone's way. Thank you to those the participated in a positive way!

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I'll be honest, I'm positive that you have absolutely no idea what the OP or others watch or don't watch or how often. Your posts are filled with opinion and assumption with no basis in fact.

Obviously, NMF is generalizing, and obviously (as is the case with any generalization) - there are exceptions. You and OP may well be those exceptions.

However, I do think NMF is on to something.. Particularly when it comes to movies. I probably have over 500 movies in my iTunes media library. It doesn't cost me much to have all these movies available at my fingertips - storage is cheap and plentiful these days. However, the number of movies I have watched more than once is a handful. There are simply not enough free hours in my week to re-watch movies. I currently have a queue of about 8 unmatched movies, so I have to make a choice whether to watch something new.. Or a repeat of something I have already seen. The new always wins.

Movies and music are completely different animals when it comes to "replay value". Music is something I will happily play and replay again. Music listening is also a much more passive experience. I certainly see a lot more value in a well curated music collection as opposed to video.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
There is a "hoarder" or "mine is bigger than yours" aspect to movie collections. I am guilty of it. I keep it under control by having 2-2TB drives and that is all I am going to have (at least for a long while). One drive stores my archive mkv's (max out around 120 files) and the other the mp4's (max out around 700 files). Once they get filled, I will start deleting files I never re-watch. Obviously, the mp4 drive will hold alot more files than the mkv drive, so pruning the mkv drive will happen sooner. But there are really only a handful of movies worth archiving at full dvd/BR file size.

Everyone has a different way of approaching movie libraries and there is no right or wrong approach. You can save everything, save nothing or, do what I did, and find a place in the middle.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i have 6TB of tv show episodes. it took me over a year to realize that one of my hdds was broken ... which also made me realize that its indeed a bit silly to keep it all but i just cant press the delete button :D

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
i have 6TB of tv show episodes. it took me over a year to realize that one of my hdds was broken ... which also made me realize that its indeed a bit silly to keep it all but i just cant press the delete button :D

Now...that's a funny story! lol

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Obviously, NMF is generalizing, and obviously (as is the case with any generalization) - there are exceptions. You and OP may well be those exceptions.

However, I do think NMF is on to something.. Particularly when it comes to movies. I probably have over 500 movies in my iTunes media library. It doesn't cost me much to have all these movies available at my fingertips - storage is cheap and plentiful these days. However, the number of movies I have watched more than once is a handful. There are simply not enough free hours in my week to re-watch movies. I currently have a queue of about 8 unmatched movies, so I have to make a choice whether to watch something new.. Or a repeat of something I have already seen. The new always wins.

Movies and music are completely different animals when it comes to "replay value". Music is something I will happily play and replay again. Music listening is also a much more passive experience. I certainly see a lot more value in a well curated music collection as opposed to video.

id have to agree.....even though NMF came off in a negative light( and we all know how that is handled on this forum) he is probably a lot more correct than most people would admit. i currently have over 1000 movies, i maybe watch 3 TOPS a week. This is on top of all the TV shows i also have that release new episodes each week. Even if i watched the episodes that week i still save the episode to my drive. Whenever we get together at my house to watch a movie...its always from the recently added section. and once that is watch it may never get watched again. There are only a handful of movies that ill rewatch and even less tv shows. Yet, i like seeing all the movies and shows i own on the screen when people come over for that WOW factor.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario

:confused:

agreed if its not something you would watch more than once delete it, I often delete movies I did not like from my collection

I have 400 some odd movies all onces I either have not had time to watch yet or enjoy enough I would watch again

a digital collection is no different than having a bookself full of dvd cases

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
:confused:

a digital collection is no different than having a bookself full of dvd cases

No...it's easier to toss a digital file than throw out a dvd case. I never could through out a disc. That's why I went digital, no physical connection.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I'm glad to see some of you are coming around. The first step is acceptance. :p

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm glad to see some of you are coming around. The first step is acceptance. :p

I don't archive movies for myself though. Being Sans cable, but with a little one at home, our babysitters/nannies need something to watch. Not to mention when we have guests stay at our house, they have full access to all the shows/movies they want without hogging the internet bandwidth with netflix and hulu+ (I have those services as well, but more than couple streams and my broadband can't keep up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.