Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I like my iPad mini for reading news over morning coffee with flipboard, web browsing on the couch or in bed and for travel. For those uses it works very well. I've also been enjoying some real racing 3 lately.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
An iPod touch isn't a tablet. Credibility is very questionable here.

I sure use it as a tablet. Your credibility is in question. The newest touch dies EVERYTHING the mini does. I have the same apps on both.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Again, 720p is an internationally established shorthand term for 1280x720p. It means nothing else. It doesn't matter what the video source is. It isn't a term for any arbitrary horisontal resolution.

Again, you are wrong. Your brain is stuck on ATSC HDTV standards. If you are going by ATSC HDTV standards, then 720p means 1280x720p.

You might live in a world where all video sources/signals are based on ATSC HDTV standards, but I live in the real world. There are a lot more standards than just ATSC HDTV standards.

No one who works with multiple video signal/sources thinks 720p means 1280x720p only and 1080p means 1920x1080p only.

Here's a short education for you on how the established shorthand works when describing the video signal/source.

Established video signal shorthand: (vertical resolution)(interlace or progressive scan)(fields or frame rate)

The shorthand doesn't define or limits you to an aspect ratio.

480p24: 480 vertical resolution, progressive scan, 24 frames a second

720p50: 720 vertical resolution, progressive scan, 50 frames a second

1080i60: 1080 vertical resolution, interlace scan, 60 fields a second

For example, the DVCPRO HD format standard:

http://documentation.apple.com/en/f...ows/index.html#chapter=3&section=1&tasks=true

1080p25: 1440x1080, progressive scan, 25 fps
720p50: 960x720, progressive scan, 50 fps

What 1080p means in different video format standards:

ATSC HDTV: 1920x1080, progressive scan
Blu-ray: 1920x1080 or 1440x1080, progressive scan
DVCPRO HD: 1440x1080 or 1280x1080, progressive scan

Maybe you need to learn about the established shorthand for video signal/source means.

Last edited:

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I sure use it as a tablet. Your credibility is in question. The newest touch dies EVERYTHING the mini does. I have the same apps on both.

The screen's too small to fall into the tablet category. It's an mp3 player.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The iPhone probably does everything the mini and ipod touch 5 can an but does that make it a tablet or mp3 player by label? :)

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Well I did it. I just unboxed my mini.

Yes, the screen is definitely not a retina screen. But I love the feel and weight of it, and being able to type quickly using my two opposable thumbs is a superb feeling!

In a word, gentlemen:

Thrilled.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

You don't use it as a tablet, you use it to do the same things that someone would use a tablet for.

You can put a tablecloth in the bed of a pickup truck, but that doesn't make it a table. It just makes it a truck you use as a table. You can use a MacBook as a desktop computer, but that doesn't make it a desktop computer.

Your iTouch is not a tablet, want to know how to tell? Does it run tablet-optimized apps? It's more akin to phone-less, iPhone.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
You don't use it as a tablet, you use it to do the same things that someone would use a tablet for.

You can put a tablecloth in the bed of a pickup truck, but that doesn't make it a table. It just makes it a truck you use as a table. You can use a MacBook as a desktop computer, but that doesn't make it a desktop computer.

Your iTouch is not a tablet, want to know how to tell? Does it run tablet-optimized apps? It's more akin to phone-less, iPhone.

Finally, someone with a brain.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Well I did it. I just unboxed my mini.

Yes, the screen is definitely not a retina screen. But I love the feel and weight of it, and being able to type quickly using my two opposable thumbs is a superb feeling!

In a word, gentlemen:

Thrilled.

Enjoy your cool gadget :D

ir13

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2010
I as well hated on it, until i used it. Then i bought one, bc its so light and its is the PERFECT size for me to carry and not have it be obtrusive.

JobSteves

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
I use it as a tablet when traveling. It does everything the mini does but with a smaller screen.

I can use the app called paper by fifty three on my mini. I dare you to do so on your iPod touch.

Last edited:

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010

I was considering buying an iPad mini for the girlfriends birthday, does the mini not run tablet optimised apps like the iPad 4?

Does it only run iPhone apps?

[Edit] Scrap that, I just went onto Apple store website and read this

"Right from the start, apps made for iPad also work with iPad mini. They’re immersive, full-screen apps that let you do almost anything you can imagine. And they make iPad mini practically impossible to put down."

So darngooddesign I don't know what your comment is suppose to be implying?

[Edit 2] Sorry think i've mis-read some of the conversation and that it was directed at an iPod touch owner!!

Last edited:

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I upgraded from an iPad 2 and I'm very happy I did. :)

What's better compared to the iPad 2:

- WiFi (better reception in my house, also in far corners)
- Camera's (sharp, really big difference)
- Speakers (stereo, and overall better sound)
- Screen (contrast and saturation are much better)
- Weight and size! (just what I needed, reason why I bought the iPad Mini)

I'm used to the retina screen of my rMBP 15", but the iPad mini "low res" really doesn't bother me at all!

The DPI is also higher than the iPad 2, even though it's still not retina. That makes it good enough for most people.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I also hated on the mini for not having retina but loved the form factor. Now that I'm actually using it I've fallen for it. It's so much more intimate and easier to deal with than the bigger siblings which always felt like bicep curls to handle.

Screen may not have the pixels or colour gamut but colours are accurate and the small size screen mitigates the lower pixel numbers. And for all intents and purposes...it is an iPad.

I bought the one I'm typing this on as a temporary toy but I'm all but set to keep it now.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I'am not so much a iPad mini hater, I always loved the minis design, the iPads design is ageing on me and seems bland. I just sold my iPad 3 32gb and now am in the market for the next gen ipad.

i would buy a Mini 2 if it comes with a retina display and 128gb storage like its bigger sibling the iPad, and the other stuff like better cpu etc, otherwise the iPad 5 is looking tempting.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I guess one could hate it slightly less now that Walmart lowered the price. No doubt it will go even lower when the 2nd gen is announced but I am surprised the way it sold that it was reduced. It is not like my local Walmarts have tons of these to sell in the first place.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
The Nexus 7 is not in the same company as the others you listed, not even close.

Try nytimes and yahoo desktop sites in portrait on the Nexus. No better than the Mini.

yes they are.

In almost all android browsers including the default chrome (which isn't even that great of a browser) you can boost the default font size making websites like those much more readable on a nexus 7 than an iPad mini.

I think people used to iOS forget that even though the nexus 7 size is not ideal for web browsing the ability to increase font sizes in the browser makes things very readable even in portrait mode (my preferred mode). If this feature came to Safari on the iPad mini I would buy one in a second (retina screen or not).

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I LOVE the mini after having thought it was a gimmick before. I got one for my wife and I'm always borrowing it over my own iPad 3. I love the light weight and how it feels while holding it. I usually prefer portrait view and the keyboard is so much more accessible than the larger iPads.

I'm waiting for the retina version before I get one for myself but I think it will outsell the larger version when they're both updated.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
yes they are.

In almost all android browsers including the default chrome (which isn't even that great of a browser) you can boost the default font size making websites like those much more readable on a nexus 7 than an iPad mini.

I think people used to iOS forget that even though the nexus 7 size is not ideal for web browsing the ability to increase font sizes in the browser makes things very readable even in portrait mode (my preferred mode). If this feature came to Safari on the iPad mini I would buy one in a second (retina screen or not).

Does it have to be Safari as one's browser? There are a few browsers in iOS that one can download and increase the font. Also, one can do the bookmarklet procedure to increase the font size in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.