Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
After hearing so much about it, I tried a test I found where you put a black screen on the ipad and put the brightness up to 100% and the result was interesting. Is it supposed to look like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 335

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Top down view.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
if that isn't contrast nuked, it looks pretty bad!

Looks like the numerous (what I believe to be Samsung) iPad3 swaps I went through last year with multiple distinct hues.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
It changes alot depending on the angle you view it from.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
yeah your screen could be LG or Samsung.

I'm inclined to think Samsung since it has multiple hue and I think you said you don't have image retention problems.

Sharp, if that's the one I believe I've experienced, does not really exhibit crunchy text, shifting text sharpness at varying angles, or varying tints at off angles.

Apple should hire me to inspect screen quality, I promise I would make customers happy. But maybe not Apple's accounting department :)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
yeah your screen could be LG or Samsung.

I'm inclined to think Samsung since it has multiple hue and I think you said you don't have image retention problems.

Sharp, if that's the one I believe I've experienced, does not really exhibit crunchy text, shifting text sharpness at varying angles, or varying tints at off angles.

Apple should hire me to inspect screen quality, I promise I would make customers happy. But maybe not Apple's accounting department :)

You should indeed. What's interesting is that when I turn the brightness down, it doesn't seem to exhibit this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I think the abnormalities of the screen will be less apparent at lower brightness levels.

In the same way even funky looking screens can look great in really bright lighting environments.

The main question is: does this bother you, do you see abnormalities during normal usage? Or just when inspecting it in a dark room with a black background and moving your head back and forth?

Normally I do these OCD tests when I suspect something is up and catches my eye in normal usage.

For example, I noticed status bar burn in against grey-scheme wallpapers in landscape mode. That and those image retention threads instilled curiosity in me.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Yeah I think the abnormalities of the screen will be less apparent at lower brightness levels.

In the same way even funky looking screens can look great in really bright lighting environments.

The main question is: does this bother you, do you see abnormalities during normal usage? Or just when inspecting it in a dark room with a black background and moving your head back and forth?

Normally I do these OCD tests when I suspect something is up and catches my eye in normal usage.

For example, I noticed status bar burn in against grey-scheme wallpapers in landscape mode. That and those image retention threads instilled curiosity in me.

It hasn't affected my usage to be honest. The retinas still good and I have a feeling that if I did exchange it, I'll get another similar one.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Or you could get one that's worse.

That's why I stuck with a washed out 4S (also knowing that I would get a 5 when it came out anyways, though it was dissapointing compared to a really good screen I had on my iPhone4) and a left side backlight bleed intensely on my near-launch iPad2 since I saw so many reports of the same thing on here.

You gotta know when to pick your battles...

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Or you could get one that's worse.

That's why I stuck with a washed out 4S (also knowing that I would get a 5 when it came out anyways, though it was dissapointing compared to a really good screen I had on my iPhone4) and a left side backlight bleed intensely on my near-launch iPad2 since I saw so many reports of the same thing on here.

You gotta know when to pick your battles...

Looking around, I think most iPads out there have either IR, backlight bleed or this colour problem.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My 4 didn't have multiple tint at off angles or nearly as bad of backlight bleed but the left side was obnoxiously yellow and darker, but it most definitely had IR. I'd be shocked if I saw one that didn't.

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
My 4 didn't have multiple tint at off angles or nearly as bad of backlight bleed but the left side was obnoxiously yellow and darker, but it most definitely had IR. I'd be shocked if I saw one that didn't.

I hope igzo solves these problems.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
And mines bad when watching videos with dark scenes. I haven't watched many on it before so I guess I didn't notice. But I'm paranoid that if I do exchange, like you said, I might get one that's worse or has another problem like IR or dead pixels.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
"Bad with dark scenes" - do you mean detail is difficult to make out?

Because this was my experience as well relative to my GREAT ipad3 screen (which was difficult to obtain).

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
That's exactly what I mean. Does anyone think it would be worth taking the risk and getting a replacement?

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
"Bad with dark scenes" - do you mean detail is difficult to make out?

Because this was my experience as well relative to my GREAT ipad3 screen (which was difficult to obtain).

Did you get a warranty replacement or a retail swap?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Neither I returned to my iPad3 (which took a lot of swaps) after having two iPad4's. Didn't feel like doing the endless search, I'm sure most/all iPad'4s are LG and hence the issues.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Neither I returned to my iPad3 (which took a lot of swaps) after having two iPad4's. Didn't feel like doing the endless search, I'm sure most/all iPad'4s are LG and hence the issues.

Interesting. There must be more good ones out there though, otherwise Apple would be flooded with complaints.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I dunno I was surprised the media never took up multiple hue iPad3's as a complaint, but instead focus on silly stuff like antennagate that affected all iPhone4's by design and could be remedied easily with a case as buffer.

Or mapsgate. Which again, impacted every single user on iOS 6 until Google Maps came out and I think since 6.1.x Maps UI has been at least improved and hopefully accuracy a bit.

I'm surprised the media isn't bringing up LG image retention on iMacs and Retina macbook pros.

I guess the larger issue for the media is 'lack of innovation,' sales and stock prices as always, and rumors.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I dunno I was surprised the media never took up multiple hue iPad3's as a complaint, but instead focus on silly stuff like antennagate that affected all iPhone4's by design and could be remedied easily with a case as buffer.

Or mapsgate. Which again, impacted every single user on iOS 6 until Google Maps came out and I think since 6.1.x Maps UI has been at least improved and hopefully accuracy a bit.

I'm surprised the media isn't bringing up LG image retention on iMacs and Retina macbook pros.

I guess the larger issue for the media is 'lack of innovation,' sales and stock prices as always, and rumors.

I have seen alot of you tube videos with IR and heard alot of hues. I think it is hard to get a perfect LCD screen with any device though. Some manufacturers claim that some level of IR is normal for LCD screens including Apple. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5455

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah that's Apple's way of wanting to minimize returns/exchanges/repairs.

"It's normal, enjoy it"

It's most unacceptable on computers.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Decided it bothers me enough when watching darker videos to send it in for repair.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
Decided it bothers me enough when watching darker videos to send it in for repair.

When you say repair, do you mean replacement?

I had this problem with my iPad2, and I never returned it. I still have it, but my wife uses, it, and every time I watch a movie/netflix, it bothers me to no end. I wish I had replaced it rite after I got it.

My iPad 3 never had any backlight bleeding. I think that is why it bothered me on the 2, as every time I would see the problem, I knew what it should look like...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.