Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
Looks like the PCI card in the subject is the best bet for the Mac Pro, I tried a generic NEC card with hacked LaCie kext but experienced some issues.

It seems that the Orico PFU3-2P card with Fresco chipset is sold out everywhere, US or EU etailers, do you guys have any sight on someone that is carrying it?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
The ORICO card works no better than the other USB3 cards that I have tried (Sonnet Allegro & noname NEC chipset card) & in fact is less convenient to install as it needs to be powered via the Molex connector. It interferes with Bluetooth just as badly as the other cards.

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
The ORICO card works no better than the other USB3 cards that I have tried (Sonnet Allegro & noname NEC chipset card) & in fact is less convenient to install as it needs to be powered via the Molex connector. It interferes with Bluetooth just as badly as the other cards.

I still have the NEC card with hacked Lacie kext, but System profile shows 480Mb/s negotiated speed (USB2) on the peripherals I'm connecting.
Which card do you recommend at the end?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I still have the NEC card with hacked Lacie kext, but System profile shows 480Mb/s negotiated speed (USB2) on the peripherals I'm connecting.
Which card do you recommend at the end?
Have you tested using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test? I recall in Snow Leopard that only 480Mb/s was reported (presumably because OS X didn't know about USB3) but reading/writing to a USB3 external disk was at full speed (>100MB/s).

Personally I would use a 3rd party card that is supported by the manufacturers e.g. Sonnet Allegro

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
in fact is less convenient to install as it needs to be powered via the Molex connector

Well, pick your poison.

With the Orico you have the additional cost of two cables AND an inconvenient modification of one of the cables itself in order to route it, but then you get to use native Apple drivers included with 10.8.2 henceforth. Seems to work great with all those who have tried it.

Or a very straightforward physical installation of a bus-powered card, but then dealing with hacked kexts or third party drivers, and waiting for third party drivers to be updated when they don't work with OS updates. Also I see mention of KPs and lack of support.

Last edited:

Erlang

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
SW, UK
Well, pick your poison.

With the Orico you have the additional cost of two cables AND an inconvenient modification of one of the cables itself in order to route it, but then you get to use native Apple drivers included with 10.8.2 henceforth. Seems to work great with all those who have tried it.

Or a very straightforward physical installation of a bus-powered card, but then dealing with hacked kexts or third party drivers, and waiting for third party drivers to be updated when they don't work with OS updates. Also I see mention of KPs and lack of support.

Also in the case of Highpoint (going on past events) buy a new card when upgrading OSX.

The perfect answer is either an Apple endorsed card (unlikely) or new Mac Pro with USB 3 incorporated (who knows).

The cable install (with the right cable) took 15-20 mins, and required two screwdrivers, one for the card and one to temporarily remove molex pins.
Most of the time was disconnecting and reconnecting the MP.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Given that the whole point of the start of this thread is that the ORICO card is out of stock everywhere it's moot whether the convenience of using native drivers outweighs the inconvenience of having to run a power cable.

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
Tried the NEC card with other drivers but was unable to get USB3 speeds...
I have ordered the Sonnet Allegro for Mac, for which I see the company provides frequently updated drivers.
Would I need to run power cables to the Sonnet card?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Tried the NEC card with other drivers but was unable to get USB3 speeds...
I have ordered the Sonnet Allegro for Mac, for which I see the company provides frequently updated drivers.
Would I need to run power cables to the Sonnet card?
The Sonnet Allegro USB3 card does not require you to run a power cable. There is a Molex connector so you could run a cable but this is presumably if you have a couple of bus-powered USB3 devices. The ORICO card doesn't even work without connecting a power cable.

texem

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
somehow wrong - the 2 port Orico doesn't need extra power, it's wired to the PCI-Express.

The card "dwmc" linked to needs power, it's not Orico but Fresco itself

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Also in the case of Highpoint (going on past events) buy a new card when upgrading OSX.

I'm in love with the design specs tho. Awesome card!

Designed like a fast RAID controller but with 4 USB 3.0 connections instead of eSATA. :)

Schweeeeet!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The Sonnet Allegro USB3 card does not require you to run a power cable. There is a Molex connector so you could run a cable but this is presumably if you have a couple of bus-powered USB3 devices. The ORICO card doesn't even work without connecting a power cable.

somehow wrong - the 2 port Orico doesn't need extra power, it's wired to the PCI-Express.

The card "dwmc" linked to needs power, it's not Orico but Fresco itself

:confused: So what card works with native Apple drivers and does NOT require a molex power connection?

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
There are two 2-port ORICO cards. One (ORICO PFU3-2P) based on the Fresco FL1009 chip apparently does not require extra power. The other (ORICO PFU3-2O2I) based on Fresco FL1100 does require extra power. This latter card in fact has an extra internal 20 pin port that is I think for connecting an extra couple of ports although no details are provided with the card nor have I seen any suitable adapter.

The card linked to by dwmc actually looks similar to the ORICO PFU3-2P that does not require extra power.

dwmc

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
There are two 2-port ORICO cards. One (ORICO PFU3-2P) based on the Fresco FL1009 chip apparently does not require extra power. The other (ORICO PFU3-2O2I) based on Fresco FL1100 does require extra power. This latter card in fact has an extra internal 20 pin port that is I think for connecting an extra couple of ports although no details are provided with the card nor have I seen any suitable adapter.

The card linked to by dwmc actually looks similar to the ORICO PFU3-2P that does not require extra power.

I've seen some posts saying that the Orico PFU3-2P card doesn't need power to the molex, but that hasn't been my experience with it or the card I linked. Of course it probably depends on how much current is drawn by whatever you plug into it. To me, it's not a big deal to run power to it. I have not tried plugging an iPad into it for charging though. I'm constrained on USB 3.0 ports until I get a hub and hence don't plug any of my iOS or iPod devices into this card.

I wish I had picked up a PFU3-202I when it was available here in the U.S. I could use one to bring USB 3.0 ports to the front of the case.

texem

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010

I have not tried plugging an iPad into it for charging though. I'm constrained on USB 3.0 ports until I get a hub and hence don't plug any of my iOS or iPod devices into this card.

Using Orico PFU3-2P here.

iPad is not charging but any iDevice is working and a HUB as well.
For charging an iPad it doesn't help to power the card additionally via Molex.
There is no difference and , yes , it works w/o Molex because the power comes from the PCIe.

dwmc

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
How would you connect the USB 3.0 PCI to upgrade the MP's front ones?

I would hack up an aftermarket USB 3.0 I/O panel to add USB 3.0 ports to the front of the case. I'd leave the existing ones alone.

Erlang

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
SW, UK
I would hack up an aftermarket USB 3.0 I/O panel to add USB 3.0 ports to the front of the case. I'd leave the existing ones alone.

I managed to add the 2 extra USB3 ports (PFU3-202I) to the rear (second PCI plate), and I have toyed with hacking a plate in the rear chassis like the front.
A front panel hack would be of less interest to me, I like the front uncluttered.

dwmc

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
I managed to add the 2 extra USB3 ports (PFU3-202I) to the rear (second PCI plate), and I have toyed with hacking a plate in the rear chassis like the front.
A front panel hack would be of less interest to me, I like the front uncluttered.

For 4 ports on the rear, I'd just use the ORICO PFU3-4P. Not that they're any easier to find than a PFU3-202I. :-(

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
After several months' absence, looks like the Orico PFU3-4P and 2P USB3 cards are back in stock at Amazon.com. The 4-port version has a much better value at $19.99 than the $17.99 2-port version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.