Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I have a new late 2012 iMac, and I was using CrashPlan for about a month. Unfortunately, the software starting causing Spinning Pinwheel of Death and completely freezing the computer.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good online backup? I liked CrashPlan because it was very inexpensive and worked in the background.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
i've never seen this behavior with Crashplan... after using it on eight computers. Plus, most of my friends/family use Crashplan without any performance issues. I suspect something else might be going on with your computer.

/Jim

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i've never seen this behavior with Crashplan... after using it on eight computers. Plus, most of my friends/family use Crashplan without any performance issues. I suspect something else might be going on with your computer.

/Jim

Same here. Never had a problem.

OP>> You might try calling Crashplan support.

Windowsrefugee

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Microsoft Land
Have been using CP for > 1 year on 4 or 5 Macs without having this problem. It has generally worked fine for on site and off-site back up, including CP Central paid back up. When I have had problems ( not the one OP describes), CP support has always solved problem within a day, if not sooner.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
Have been using CP for > 1 year on 4 or 5 Macs without having this problem. It has generally worked fine for on site and off-site back up, including CP Central paid back up. When I have had problems ( not the one OP describes), CP support has always solved problem within a day, if not sooner.

For me CP is no go due to Java app, I hate Java.

joeholl1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Turned out that CrashPlan was freezing up my computer when it would scan the Bootcamp Windows drive. The problem is fixed now, so I'm still using CrashPlan.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I just recently signed up for Crashplan and at first I was very pleased with the service. Recently, however, the service has essentially stopped working. I have been working with the Crashplan support folks and I must say so far I am not impressed and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that the company may be experiencing growing pains such that it is not able to provide a reasonable level of support. I will wait a short while and try to get some actual substantive response from them - but it's not looking hopeful right now. The problem is that my computers are not reconnecting to the Crashplan servers after the computer is restarted or awakened. Every so often, seemingly randomly, the system will connect and make an incremental back up. But most of the time my backups are not being made and I am unable to connect to restore a file. The last word from tech support was that there is a problem on their end but no follow up from them yet and no explanation exactly what the problem is or whether it can be repaired. This does not instill confidence - which is critical for a company in this particular business.

I am beginning to think that the old fashioned external hard drive swap may be the way to go given our current technology and internet speeds etc.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am beginning to think that the old fashioned external hard drive swap may be the way to go given out current technology and internet speeds etc."

Strong agreement here.

Particularly so if the original poster has an "offsite location" where he can keep a hard drive. Could be a safe deposit box, a locker at one's workplace, a lockable desk at work. Perhaps even at a relative's home. The idea is that the backup normally be located somewhere _other than_ where the computer is, as insurance against theft, fire, etc. (Isn't this what the "online backup" outfits are, anyway?)

Best way to maintain an offsite backup is with multiple backup drives:
- backup 1 - near computer
- backup 2 & 3 - alternately stored offsite
(Actually, you will have two at home, and one offsite. You take one from home, bring it to your offsite location, retrieve the third already there.)

Best way to maintain multiple backups is to use three "bare drives" with a USB/SATA "docking station" setup at home. A USB3/SATA dock can be had for under $30, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Dock...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B003UI62AG

They can be booted from, just like you would a "standalone" external drive. But they make "swapping drives around" easy.

This takes a little more effort to maintain and manage the backups yourself. The upside is that YOU will always have control over your data (not some online place that can go out of business, etc.). And although it costs more initially to buy the dock and drives, once purchased you don't have them dipping into your pocket every month, which adds up….

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
"I am beginning to think that the old fashioned external hard drive swap may be the way to go given out current technology and internet speeds etc."

Strong agreement here.

Particularly so if the original poster has an "offsite location" where he can keep a hard drive. Could be a safe deposit box, a locker at one's workplace, a lockable desk at work. Perhaps even at a relative's home. The idea is that the backup normally be located somewhere _other than_ where the computer is, as insurance against theft, fire, etc. (Isn't this what the "online backup" outfits are, anyway?)

If you are disciplined to do this right, I completely agree it is the way to go. However, most of the people I know can't even be bothered to do a single proper backup.... let alone having two while also making sure to move one off site (and swap every week, without missing a week).

Anyways, I've had a great experience with backblaze. It "just works". It is still secondary to the time machine backup, but I do feel my "digital" life is finally secure from calamity.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I just gave up on Crashplan. It stopped working about 4 days ago and in 4 days of e mail tech support the problem is not resolved. I made one last attempt just now to contact them for telephone support which supposed to be available. I waited on hold for over 1/2 hour and gave up. Hopefully they will give me a refund.

Maybe I'll try Backblaze.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I just gave up on Crashplan. It stopped working about 4 days ago and in 4 days of e mail tech support the problem is not resolved. I made one last attempt just now to contact them for telephone support which supposed to be available. I waited on hold for over 1/2 hour and gave up. Hopefully they will give me a refund.

Maybe I'll try Backblaze.

Crashplan is clear on their website that you can cancel at any time without risk. They will give you a refund. I've been using them for years (8 computers) and have always found them to be great to work with.

From their site: Risk-Free, cancel any time!
Our risk-free cancellation policy will automatically credit you for the remaining unused months on any plan if you decide to cancel at any time. Don't miss out on a money-saving multi-year plan!

/Jim

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I know no company can provide perfect service. I wonder if our differing experiences has to do with what server you are connecting to. I am also considering using the crashplan free program to back up to an external drive at my Dad's house. This is a work in progress. But 4 days and no solution and a half hour wait on hold is too much for me. I don't have the energy for that.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I know no company can provide perfect service. I wonder if our differing experiences has to do with what server you are connecting to. I am also considering using the crashplan free program to back up to an external drive at my Dad's house. This is a work in progress. But 4 days and no solution and a half hour wait on hold is too much for me. I don't have the energy for that.

Early on... about 4 years ago... I had a problem similar to yours... except my backup was moving at a "near zero" pace. I sent them a message, talked to them on the phone, and a few days later things were working fine again. Never had a problem since.

I use them because I think they are the best overall. They have strong de-dupe technology in house which is really useful if you move a lot of data from one location to a new one. Essentially, some services (even TM) will re-backup all of the data again. Crashplan will recognize the data is already backed up, and will not re-transmit. It helps them on their storage costs... but it helps the end customer by not having to re-backup huge amounts of data that just moves somewhere else on the disk.

Also... their family plan is an incredible value. All 8 of our computers (soon to be 9) are covered under my original purchase of under $6/mo. They even added on free extra years when I talked with them at industry trade shows. As my kids left and went to college... their computers continued to be backed up automatically as they left the state... and even during a two year stint out of the country.

Crashplan has a growing base of enterprise customers (including my company). These types of companies evaluate services to death before they invest... their priorities being security, robustness, etc. There are good reasons that Crashplan Pro is winning so many major corporate accounts.

For my newest computer... I am using their seed service. The HDD is scheduled to arrive on Monday. This will be our 9th computer. All four of us have an iMac and a MBA... plus an old PC that hasn't been turned on in 2-3 years.

/Jim

Last edited:

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I can report that Crashplan did immediately agree to refund the purchase price. I am still on the free trial for another 20 days. If they get it sorted out maybe I'll stick based on your good reports.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I've been pretty happy with CrashPlan for the last couple of years. I was disappointed that I had to install Java when I got a newer MPB with ML, but CP technical support did confirm that they are coming out with a native Mac client sometime later this year.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I've been pretty happy with CrashPlan for the last couple of years. I was disappointed that I had to install Java when I got a newer MPB with ML, but CP technical support did confirm that they are coming out with a native Mac client sometime later this year.

That is good news. The Java requirement is the only reason I haven't tried Crashplan.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Backblaze v. Crashplan - My situation is such that the cost is roughly the same for me. For those with experience using both or who have thought this through, aside from price, what are the pros and cons?

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Backblaze v. Crashplan - My situation is such that the cost is roughly the same for me. For those with experience using both or who have thought this through, aside from price, what are the pros and cons?

The biggest issue with Crashplan is it requires Java. Backblaze has a native client.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.