Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's long-awaited smartwatch could launch as early as this year, claims a Bloomberg article.

continuous.png
The article also claims to have information on planned functionality from sources familiar with Apple's plans. Although there has been much speculation about what Apple is planning for its smart watch, there has until now been very little in the way of specific claims of functionality from sources deemed to be reputable by mainstream news organizations.
Features under consideration include letting users make calls, see the identity of incoming callers and check map coordinates, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren't public. It would also house a pedometer for counting steps and sensors for monitoring health-related data, such as heart rates, this person said.
A Citigroup analyst quoted in the article estimates that an Apple smartwatch could generate twice as much profit as an Apple television.

Oliver Chen, an analyst specializing in luxury goods, says that while the global TV market at $119 billion is larger than the global watch market at $60 billion, margins on watches are four times greater: 60% versus 15%. If Apple were to achieve a 10% market share in each, that would mean a gross profit of $3.6 billion for watches, versus $1.79 billion for televisions.

Article Link: Apple's 'iWatch' Planned to Launch 'As Soon As This Year', Could Include Biosensors and Mapping Features

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wondering if it will come out before my Pebble ships. At this point, I think so.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I was thinking to order a Patek Philippe 5002P but now I will wait... This is gonna be much cooler! :p

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I guess there will be a new cloud service as well: "Find my hand" ? Creepy.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Watches used for function/tell time have been rendered useless by cell phones.

Watches are used for their jewelry/status symbols.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Totally useless product. The same is with the pebble. If I want to know who's calling, I get my phone out of my pocket, not forgetting you have the charge the Pebble more than once per day.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Waiting to see what this final product.

Not impressed with the early reports so far, but the early reports have been wrong before...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Wow, so you're the one who was appointed arbiter of how I tell time. I was wondering why, every time I lift my hand up and look at my watch I felt a shock in my pocket from my iPhone.

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
The heart rate monitor is the first interesting thing I've heard about an alleged iWatch.

If they market this as a health and fitness device (as they've attempted before with the Nike stuff), it could be something genuinely useful rather than just another toy.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Totally useless product. The same is with the pebble. If I want to know who's calling, I get my phone out of my pocket, not forgetting you have the charge the Pebble more than once per day.

Umm, the Pebble is rated for 7 days on a single charge. Granted, they are struggling with that for some users, and working on the issue. But once a day is not anywhere near correct.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I'm not a tinfoil-hat kind of person, but geez-if I was wearing something that knew where I was, and what kind of health I was in, that kind of information is too tempting not to be exploited. Now when someone figures out how to mine that data you'll be walking past a 7-11 and get an alert saying "hey fatty, Double Big Gulps are 50% off!"

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"Long-awaited" since a few months ago.

Exactly my thought.

And so far - nothing that's been mentioned is exciting (to me). I'm sure if Apple is going to enter the market - they'll bring something more than just alerts, mapping and biometrics.

Then again - if nothing else - it will be a device that is seamlessly integrated with iOS.

No doubt the popularity of Nike Fuel (and other similar tech) + Pebble watch media frenzy has made an impression.

sushant08

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
So just hours after the first galaxy S4 teaser is released,we have this report.coincidence?!?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Right, tell that to all the sports watch manufacturers. :rolleyes:. Also most business people and professionals wear watches b/c there are plenty of situations where it's impolite to pop out your phone and there isn't a clock in sight.

But never mind all that... we'll see what Apple does, but you might want to get that old hat or crow out, ready to eat.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

If I want to communicate with someone, I just run down to the telegraph office and have a real expert type out a message. Not to mention, to use a phone the person on the other end needs to have one themselves; and often it's really hard to hear what they're saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.