Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Thanks to my company I get the best of both worlds. I had sold my iPad 3 to get the Mini as the size factor was important to me. Then my company gave us the iPad 4 to use in the field.

For work I regularly use the 4, if a client picks it up, uses it, I am not worried. The Mini I use for anything personal. I find it to be the perfect size, and even if my company hasn't given us the 4, I would still stick with my Mini, when I got it I felt from the very beginning that this is what the iPad should had been all along n

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
Only thing I don't like about the mini is that there isn't enough screen for writing apps like penultimate. I can get roughly 4 lines of notes on each page. If you use apps like this a lot I would go bigger

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
You bet.
I switched to the mini as a transition from the 3 to the next full size version.
I wanted to see if the size would work for me. It doesn't.
I really miss the bigger screen for reading and using writing apps.

I assume the iPad5 will be lighter and thinner and I can't wait to go back to retina and a full 9.7 screen.

Reading magazines and especially comics is horrible on the mini.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I really, really hope Sharp makes most/all iPad5 screens with IGZO. Even on the off chance there is no IGZO, I hope Sharp still makes the displays.

I think a full-size 'iPad mini' design would lure people back to full size if it's in their budget. People are becoming increasingly price sensitive in crappy times, hence the non-stop rumors for a budget iPhone and the overwhelming success of iPad mini.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I don't understand - why get a mini if you had a 3 and then NOT like its size? No offense, but couldn't you have tried it at the store to check out is size before you made the choice of transitioning from the 3 to the mini?

Nope.
Live and work in NYC so the thinner, lighter won out sight unseen.
I currently carry both my sons mini, as well as mine, in my messenger bag.
Together- both are lighter than when I lugged the 3.
Plus I was able to still get decent re-sale value on the ipad3 at the time.
The iPad 5 should fit the bill, which is why I say - yes- I will go back to full size from mini.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I am personally looking forward to switching back to a larger iPad and just using my 64 gb mini for media and books.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apples obsession with thin products are greatly appreciated by vain, status seeking users.

I'd like nothing better than for my iPhone 5 to be a few millimeters thicker so as to have space for a larger battery.

If my iPad mini was just 2 mm thicker like my Nexus 7, you'd be very surprised at how much better the ergonomics are. Easy & comfortable describes the N7 and I'm _not bashing_ Apple.

If I didn't enjoy the mini I would not have bought it. I'm not an impulse buyer. I know exactly what I'm spending my money on.

My mini is quite nice, and will be extremely nice... once they increase the display resolution on the upcoming model.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Apples obsession with thin products are greatly appreciated by vain, status seeking users.

I'd like nothing better than for my iPhone 5 to be a few millimeters thicker so as to have space for a larger battery.

If my iPad mini was just 2 mm thicker like my Nexus 7, you'd be very surprised at how much better the ergonomics are. Easy & comfortable describes the N7 and I'm _not bashing_ Apple.

If I didn't enjoy the mini I would not have bought it. I'm not an impulse buyer. I know exactly what I'm spending my money on.

My mini is quite nice, and will be extremely nice... once they increase the display resolution on the upcoming model.
I agree completely. I actually don't mind thicker devices. Especially if it means better ergonomics and battery.

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
Thinkness (or thinness) is relevant, but the weight and size is much more important in my eyes. My wife has had iPad 2 and now iPad 4 - I defiately prefer to enjoy the mini, awesome gadget :apple:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Smaller and lighter is (almost) always better. I prefer my iPad mini to my iPad 1 or any of the larger iPads available at this time. I like the fact that it is lighter. One down side is the screen size makes playing some games a bit more touchy. I can easily live with that as my primary use for the iPad mini is reading my Kindle books. The iPad mini is exactly the size of the Kindle keyboard and ideal for use as an ebook reader.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I would. I have plans to sell my mini for the ipad 5

I definitely would, but it seems highly unlikely for quite some time. For now, the iPad Mini is damn wonderful!

I am personally looking forward to switching back to a larger iPad and just using my 64 gb mini for media and books.

Just a question for you guys - what exactly made you go mini if you prefer the larger screen? I'm sure most will say that the iPad was a little heavy, but wouldn't it have been easier to just keep the larger iPad (even sacrificing the size) until a thinner one is released? (Pretty obvious at this point that the next will be thinner) Or was it all about owning the new Apple gadget? :p Not trying to be rude or anything... I'm just wondering! Figured I'd ask you guys since you're in the minority of people who would switch and the mini and large iPad are two very different devices imo.

Personally, after trying it out at the Apple store I finally caved in and got one. After owning every iPad up to the 3, I don't see me owning another iPad unless it's a mini with a retina display.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Say the full-sized iPad is released to be as thin as the mini - would you make the switch/switch back? Why or why not?

I really went for the mini once I held it. It was the lightness not the thinnes that won me over.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Say the full-sized iPad is released to be as thin as the mini - would you make the switch/switch back? Why or why not?

If it was as thin AND AS Light, yes in a heart beat.

My ideal ipad is the size and weight of a magazine.

RieRie

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I think I would just find an excuse to use both, but the mini 8" mini is just so much more portable than my iPad 2 ever was. And I used to think my iPad 2 was so portable before the mini came along...

FallenRook

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
As many others in this thread have pointed out it is mostly about the size + ability to tuck away anywhere. Besides I feel as though if the regular sized iPad were that thin then it would feel rather odd in the hand.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As many others in this thread have pointed out it is mostly about the size + ability to tuck away anywhere. Besides I feel as though if the regular sized iPad were that thin then it would feel rather odd in the hand.

This is 100% about weight. The mini is no more easily tucked away.

If the ipad 5 were less than the weight of the mini and the 9.7 size....it would be the only ipad needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.