Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
This should have existed a year ago but it looks like a nice card.

I take it Sapphire are selling this directly? Hopefully it won't be absurdly priced like the Apple 5770/5870 but I am not buying anyway since my PC 5870 is good enough for now.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Mac Pro should be offered for sale again in Europe with the coming new videocard

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
According to 9to5mac, it will cost $450 for the GPU, which I find absurd since the 8000 series will be releasing soon.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
According to 9to5mac, it will cost $450 for the GPU, which I find absurd since the 8000 series will be releasing soon.

Its a bargain compared to $450 for the 5870, no?

I'm waiting to see if this will be compatible with older MPs

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
good card for a lot of purposes for a lot of people, but the creative market who uses Adobe products will really not be upgrading too much with this one... unless Adobe opens their GPU support to additional cards (non-Nvidia)

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

AMD said no new GPU's this year ('13)

You have to learn to take your victories no matter how small.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I wonder what the driver situation will be.

Although I can see that the BIOS/firmware will be copied off it and we will all be doing it ourselves to our own bought cards!!

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2013
I thought that the Adobe suit really likes the NVidia more than Radeon, and the MacBooks also uses GeForce, so why go with Radeon?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
good card for a lot of purposes for a lot of people, but the creative market who uses Adobe products will really not be upgrading too much with this one... unless Adobe opens their GPU support to additional cards (non-Nvidia)

Adobe using OpenGL.

The Mercury Playback engine hardcoded in CUDA is there but that is a subset of Adobe's (and 3rd part plugin ) use of GPU functionality.

However, that isn't fixed in stone. A blog post from almost two years back

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

there is a subset of effects that leverage OpenCL.

video of tech preview of OpenCL functionality back in Q3 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6MroxhsLT0

[ on Windows so probably isn't short term but shouldn't be a long term issue unless API mismatch with OS X. ]

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
There are going to be new ones.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond

Just not at the 7900 level of the offerings. The very top end isn't moving (at least in the mainstream space, the "pro workstation" cards will likely have some changes ) Midrange and down there is movement.

I don't keep up on firepro's at all but with the new compete Kepler Quadro's it wouldn't surprise me to see some updates to firepro..

Anand says some 7700's but the AMD guy on OCN has been sorta mute..

The I think AMD will start the kill off of the $100-$175 discrete cards with Kavari..I think we're at the beginnings of AMD as complete platform vs CPU/GPU manufacturer. IMHO that's why they got out of the CPU race with Intel.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Mac Pro should be offered for sale again in Europe with the coming new videocard

Actually this is more good new for users than Apple; at least short term. 2009-2012 Mac Pro bumped with one of these will increase performance for more than a few folks. If they don't need upgrade then don't need to buy a new one.

For a decent percentage of those folks, probably even after Apple eventually drops a new Mac Pro. The machine they have will be "fast enough" and will sit still.

The "squeeze more performance out of previous models" market is likely to see an uptick in the EU marketplace.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
should clarify a little more...

the functionality of the Mercury Playback Engine is not accelerated by ATI cards, they only are enhanced by CUDA which is only offered with Nvidia cards. so while they work, it's not as huge of an upgrade for those Adobe folks.

I'm sure you'd see a bit of a performance boost with a card that has more on-board memory than the stock 5770/5870 GPU's, but nothing as close to using an Nvidia card that supports CUDA. It's probably only a matter of time before other Adobe applications start tapping into the Mercury Playback Engine style of processing as well.

----------

I thought that the Adobe suit really likes the NVidia more than Radeon, and the MacBooks also uses GeForce, so why go with Radeon?

yes, Adobe uses CUDA processing for accelerating the Mercury Playback Engine... and that's Nvidia.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012

I know that After Effects uses CUDA for speeding up ray-traced 3D processing and that the Mercury Playback Engine in Premiere is GREATLY sped up by CUDA with Nvidia cards, especially when layering effects.

would greatly welcome adding this card to the "certified" Adobe list to make everything work right out of the box without a bit of hackery to get there...

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback-engine.html

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
This is a bit of a odd question, but for someone who exclusively uses CS6, is a stock 5770 still better then a 8800gt? No gaming, just CS6?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
How much....

this can be a good news depends IMHO in various factors:

a)-How usable it can be in a wide range of Mac Pros (first candidate in my mind for graphic upgrades)

b)-Driver/OS support

c)-Real price, ease of install

d)-Real world benchmarks

No CUDA support can hurt, I suppose. But indeed, looks like a very promising GPU.

:):apple:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
This is a bit of a odd question, but for someone who exclusively uses CS6, is a stock 5770 still better then a 8800gt? No gaming, just CS6?

As far as I know yup Radeon 5770 is better than 8800GT. I've read users of the 8800GT complaining that you need to bake the videocard to get it to work again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.