Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Copying? Creating an app with similar features you mean. So what trademark/patent laws have they broken that would warrant them being taken to court?

Thats like Visa taking Mastercard to court for creating a card that allows you to pay for purchases!

oh please. just look at the way samsung has operated ever since the first iPhone was rumored. this is a morale rather than a legal problem.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Remember the google phone prototype from before the iPhone was announced? It just looked like an BlackBerry phone:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-1037_3-6230132.html

The touchscreen and UI design changed after the iPhone was announced to be more closely to the iPhone than blackberry ... but again, this is apparently the natural evolution and has nothing to do with copying.

(couldn't find the original pictures, but there were more from way before the iPhone)

Actually that was one out of two prototypes they had. Android was going to launch in a variety of form factors. The 2nd prototype that co-existed with the Blackberry look-a-like looked like this.

YIQ6WcZ.png

Google Wallet? Did anyone actually use that thing?

What is it with this place and the notion that if Apple takes something that already exists and improves it, it means Apple invented the idea in the first place. This type of thing has existed before, I will admit that they seem to have copied the icon.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Actually that was one out of two prototypes they had. Android was going to launch in a variety of form factors. The 2nd prototype that co-existed with the Blackberry look-a-like looked like this.

Which probably had a nice little scroll wheel below the screen and other navigational buttons that aren't shown in the photo.

Why are people so loath to admit that Apple turned the whole smartphone paradigm on its head?

What is it with this place and the notion that if Apple takes something that already exists and improves it, it means Apple invented the idea in the first place. This type of thing has existed before, I will admit that they seem to have copied the icon.

I rarely see people claim that Apple "invented" a particular concept - rather that their innovative new implementation of that concept has been shamelessly aped by a competitor.

Samsung's Wallet app is not embarrassing because Apple already had Passbook. Wallet is embarrassing because it looks almost exactly like Passbook. (Hence this entire thread.)

And not just the icon.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Which probably had a nice little scroll wheel below the screen and other navigational buttons that aren't shown in the photo.

Why are people so loath to admit that Apple turned the whole smartphone paradigm on its head?

Im pointing out that Android wasn't just that Blackberry Clone before the iPhone, it was that touchscreen device too. Smartphones were heading that way, Apple just sped things up.

Got anything better than "Oh it probably had all these things that I have no proof of? Who cares if it has Navigation buttons? Android handsets still ship with a Home and back button, sometimes a dedicated settings button.

You know how convenient a back button is? It makes navigating so much easier, no more having to rely on App developers putting a back button into the app and guessing where it might be, Apple still has a home button so they clearly think navigation buttons are needed.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Smartphones were heading that way, Apple just sped things up.

Yes. Everything Apple does would have happened on its own eventually, so they don't really deserve any credit. We've all heard that one a million times. :rolleyes:

You know how convenient a back button is?

Based on many reviews excoriating its inconsistent implementation in Android, apparently not very convenient.

I personally have never missed a back button on my iPhone/iPad.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Yes. Everything Apple does would have happened on its own eventually, so they don't really deserve any credit. We've all heard that one a million times. :rolleyes:

Based on many reviews excoriating its inconsistent implementation in Android, apparently not very convenient.

I personally have never missed a back button on my iPhone/iPad.

I never said they didn't deserve any credit, however they don't deserve the kind of credit that certain people on here are heaping on them,

The way people on here are acting you'd think we'd still be using phones like this without Apple.

nokia3210.jpg

At least on Android the back button is always at the bottom, generally manufacturers will put the back button on the left side too (with the exception of Samsung). On iOS it can be on the bottom, or on the top, or either side. Wherever the developer wants it.

On lots of apps you find yourselves in a position where you can't step back in the app to where you were, you have to quit it, remove the app from background processes and restart it. On Android you always have that option of stepping back.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
On Android you always have that option of stepping back.

Too bad you can never be sure exactly where you're stepping back to:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/18/ux-things-i-hate-about-android/

----------

The way people on here are acting you'd think we'd still be using phones like this without Apple.

Yes, because Samsung can't be bothered to come up with their own software designs everyone is arguing that without Apple we'd still be using monochromatic dumbphones.

Wait...what?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Too bad you can never be sure exactly where you're stepping back to:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/18/ux-things-i-hate-about-android/

----------

Yes, because Samsung can't be bothered to come up with their own software designs everyone is arguing that without Apple we'd still be using monochromatic dumbphones.

Wait...what?

For the most part the back button works, and works well. And I'm not talking about this article, Im referring to earlier comments about only picking out a single Android prototype, and people trying to assert that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone, or that the iPhone revolutionized the way a smartphone was. When presented with evidence they simply dismiss it or claim that because Apples implementation was better so it means Apple did it first.

You know I was referring to those comments, pretty much all you've done is change the subject or run off on a tangent.

All I did earlier was point out that the Android prototype listed was only one of 2 listed, and that they also had a full touchscreen phone. Since then all you've done is speculate and go off on tangets that aren't even related to what I've been discussing.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
people trying to assert that the iPhone was the first touchscreen smartphone

What "people?" Has anyone (or multiple anyones) actually said that on this forum? I doubt it.

or that the iPhone revolutionized the way a smartphone was.

It absolutely did.

You know I was referring to those comments, pretty much all you've done is change the subject or run off on a tangent.

Your use of straw man arguments ("unidentified people here say/believe") don't help.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
It absolutely did.

How did it? The only good thing about the iPhone was the touch screen, I had one. It had no apps, no appstore, no MMS, no video recording, an appalling camera. The web browser was marginally better.

Your use of straw man arguments ("unidentified people here say/believe") don't help.

And what point are you trying to make, all you've tried to do is speculate on false information, nitpick at personal preferences and then go off about unrelated things. All because I pointed out that Android had many prototypes and the blackberry clone people love posting was only one, you falsely accused the device of having a load of guff with no evidence, Phones were heading the direction of the iPhone anyway. I said iPhone merely sped up the transition to touchscreen phones so you put words in my mouth claiming I believe Apple deserve no credit.

Are you actually looking for a discussion? Or are you looking to start an argument, because half of what you're saying I'd even semi related to the points I've made.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.