Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmnesbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
League of Legends has finally come to the Mac.

What Is League of Legends
League of Legends is a free to play game of 5v5 online competitive matchmaking. The goal is to be the first team to kill the enemies "nexus" inside of their base. This will first require your team to push past several of the enemy teams defensive's. Along the way you have to build gold by killing smaller minions that roam the "lanes" and the "jungle". The more minions you kill, the higher your gold, the more items you can buy, the stronger you get. Pretty simple concept, right? Add in the fact that there are 5 people on the enemy team trying to do the same thing and it starts getting a little trickier. Toss in the "fog of war" effect (creates areas of the map that you can not see unless you have a teamate in the vacinity or a "ward" to help grant you vision) and things just became very interesting. All in all, the game is simple to play and hard to master.

How Can I Play?
By visiting this link, http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4ff121a6d59f5340417431 , you can create your free account today and start playing with me today (note this is a referral link). It is simple and free. As a matter of fact, you NEVER have to pay a dime to play this game. From account creation, everything is free. However, that is not to say that there are not ways you can spend money. XP boosts, IP boosts, Skins, Champions, etc can all be purchased with real life money, although you never have to. You can acquire everything in the game except for skins (purely cosmetic) without paying a dime. You may ask, so is this game pay to win? Not in the least bit. Nothing you can buy for money actually gives an in game advantage. Again, the game is super simple and yet hard to master. I strongly urge anyone interested in the game who has not already played to try it out today.

Last edited:

gregd33

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Just started playing (windows version, Mac is downloading now) last week. Easy to play and hard to master.

So much to learn with roles and items and all that. Ive been reading as much as possible and trying not to be a drain or detriment to my team.

Fingers crossed that native version is stable...

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
Downloading it now. Was excited to get home from work but went out and just got in now. Will download and install and prob play tomorrow.

xchampx13

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
I had played the original Mac open Beta, which closed awhile back. Then I went to what is called iLoL which was a port of LoL for Mac. Nice to see a official client back :)

Danmoore03

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Just played a match @ whatever close to 1920x1200 resolution is...60 FPS solid with everything on high, at max retina resolution its locked in @ 30fps. Runs nice.

My account name is Dmoore03 / Drastk
Hit me up guys! I'm glad this finally came back to mac.

gregd33

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Played a few games last night on 2010 iMac 27". Ran perfectly.

I, on the other hand, played poorly. Still learning how to play this game. But it's great not having to bootcamp it anymore. Mac client played flawlessly.

Edit: RatB33 - add me if you wan to play. I don't mind losing but be warned that I am über noob. :)

Last edited:

Danmoore03

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Played a few games last night on 2010 iMac 27". Ran perfectly.

I, on the other hand, played poorly. Still learning how to play this game. But it's great not having to bootcamp it anymore. Mac client played flawlessly.

Edit: RatB33 - add me if you wan to play. I don't mind losing but be warned that I am über noob. :)

I just started playing also, i'm only level 6, i normally just play beginner 3v3 vs AI cause it seems pretty easy, i'll send you an invite when i get back on later :)

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I'm really impressed by this game so far. I used to play Warcraft III tower defence with my housemates at boarding school years ago, so it brings back some nice memories.

Graphics are great, gameplay is indeed easy to learn and hard to master, but I can see myself having a lot of fun with it.

What really amazes me is that it runs at full Retina resolution on my Mac (2880 x 1800) with everything on Very High apart from shadows, which are at Medium, and it has a consistent frame rate of 30 fps! Seems to be a very well-made port.

gregd33

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I have played quite a bit of the BETA Mac client (maybe 6-7 hours in total) and i have not had a sinlge issue. It is as well-done as the Windows client.

They did a great job on it.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
how it playes on imac 1080p under mac os ? you still need bootcamp to have better performance?

rmnesbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
The client is very well made. It is NOT a port but instead a build from the ground up. They have obviously worked very hard on this.

If you would like to help me out, please use this link to create your new LoL account with. Thanks
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I've got a first gen MBA and with all settings on Very Low and 1024*768, it's been sluggish but bearable through the training missions. Haven't had a chance to play an actual game yet.

Anyone else on older hardware? ;) I'm Mhaddy in-game if anyone's interested.

gregd33

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
how it playes on imac 1080p under mac os ? you still need bootcamp to have better performance?

Performance is the same ad it is in windows. They did a great job for a client that is technically in beta. No flaws that I have seen yet.

Playing on a mid 2011 27" iMac at hugest resolution. Unsure of the settings so whatever it chose. But the game looks good and plays great.

Now if I can just get my skills to improve... :)

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I've got a first gen MBA and with all settings on Very Low and 1024*768, it's been sluggish but bearable through the training missions. Haven't had a chance to play an actual game yet.

Anyone else on older hardware? ;) I'm Mhaddy in-game if anyone's interested.

Not a good sign. I have a Late 2006 C2D MacBook and it runs just fine at 1280x800 in Win XP (Bootcamp) and is fully playable at consistent frame rates. The community based OS X version that has been out for a long time was not and I fear the performance of this version, while better, may not be on par (and therefore not playable) in OS X.

I'm going to download it tonight and give it a shot.

rmnesbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
How did the beta work for you guys? I know you had some concerns and all with later model macs etc. I have had no problems and others report similarly well things. Let me know your thoughts.

As always, if you would like to help me out please use the following link to sign up for your League of Legends account.
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I've been running the new client on my 2010 13" MBP + 24" 1080p external screen, and it's been pretty great. I don't play on all super high graphics or anything, but I feel it runs better than on my Windows 8 Boot Camp partition.

Plus, it's definitely great not having to switch back and forth to play League. Yay for the Mac client! :)

rmnesbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
Glad to hear the program worked well for you! Hope everyone keeps on enjoying it

As always, if you want to help me out please use the following link to create your LoL account! Some of you may be wondering, what does this link do exactly (ie. why not just sign up on the website myself). Well, I have had a goal of collecting 100% of the skins possible in this game (ie excluding the limited edition ones). So far I have managed to get over 300 skins (less than 100 left to go). Two of the skins come from the refer-a-friend promotion. When anyone uses my link and gets their summoner to level 10 I get a referral towards my two skins. At 25 people and at 50 people I will get my skins. If you want to help me on my goal towards 100% skins please use the following link <3
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com

rmnesbitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2013
Thank you guys so much for the support. Not only in this thread but in my referral link. It means a lot to me guys, it really does.

As always, if you want to help me out please use the following link to create your LoL account! Some of you may be wondering, what does this link do exactly (ie. why not just sign up on the website myself). Well, I have had a goal of collecting 100% of the skins possible in this game (ie excluding the limited edition ones). So far I have managed to get over 300 skins (less than 100 left to go). Two of the skins come from the refer-a-friend promotion. When anyone uses my link and gets their summoner to level 10 I get a referral towards my two skins. At 25 people and at 50 people I will get my skins. If you want to help me on my goal towards 100% skins please use the following link <3
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.