Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Early last year, Apple launched a new initiative to more openly share information on worker rights and safety throughout its supply chain with working hours and mandatory overtime being a major focus of the effort. Apple's code of conduct specifies that workers may generally work no more than 60 hours per week, although the company does permit limited exceptions during periods of high demand.

That pattern was observed over the course of 2012, with Apple's efforts to track over one million employees showing peak compliance with the standard at 97% in July and August before dropping in the September-Novemeber timeframe as Apple launched a number of new products including the iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Compliance rebounded in December, and Apple today updated its supplier responsibility pages to note that its supply chain achieved record 99% compliance in the month of January.
The number of workers we track has increased from over 500,000 in January 2012 to over 1 million in January 2013. In January 2013, we achieved 99% compliance to the 60-hour workweek across all employees we track.
working_hours_compliance_jan13.jpg
The improvement in compliance comes as Apple appears to be reaching supply-demand balance for a number of its latest products, including the iPad mini and iMac.

Reports have indicated that Apple's major assembly partner Foxconn has reduced its hiring due to a higher-than-usual number of employees returning to the company after the recent Chinese New Year break. Some have suggested that changes to working conditions spurred by Apple may be at least partly responsible for increased worker satisfaction and thus higher retention, although in some cases workers seeking to maximize their income have expressed concern over limits on their working hours.

Article Link: Apple's Suppliers Set New High in January With 99% Compliance Rate for Working Hour Limits

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
If only all tech companies could enforce and comply with such regulations. It's a shame that this won't be all over the media like the slew of negative Foxconn stories were.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Or there is such low demand for iPhones that they don't need them to work over 60 hours...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Say what you will about Apple, but this is one of the best things that's happened to the computer industry in a long time. I hope other manufacturers decide to copy Apple's mentality on this issue, rather than just copying their products ;)

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Over 60 hours. Still teens working there. God damn.

So? I worked 40 hours a week in high school because I wanted to make money. There seems to be this ridiculous mentality that because Chinese people work longer hours than Americans do, it means they're being mistreated. Meanwhile, we're in a major financial crisis in part because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If only all tech companies could enforce and comply with such regulations. It's a shame that this won't be all over the media like the slew of negative Foxconn stories were.

Yes, I wonder how Apple's competitors are doing? About the following:

* Worker conditions/abuses.

* Publicly reporting those conditions.

* Working to fix them.

* Publicly reporting on how the fixes are going: success or PR vapor?

Anyone but Apple doing well in those areas? Or are they mainly good at sweeping it under the rug (which the media and bloggers will gladly let them do)?

And how about non-tech companies? Clothing and everything else?

So? I worked 40 hours a week in high school because I wanted to make money. There seems to be this ridiculous mentality that because Chinese people work longer hours than Americans do, it means they're being mistreated. Meanwhile, we're in a major financial crisis in part because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.

The abuses that American companies make money from in China are not as simple as "longer hours."

And the financial crisis in America is not as simple as "plenty of jobs but not enough Americans want a job."

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Sounds like bad news for apple

Demand for their products must be really down if their suppliers are able to meet Apple's work week goals by 99%.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
In the article and other articles. Still child labor.

I bet you love Samsung huh? No asian workforce there... Or HP.. or HTC... or... and the list goes on. Do you think the computer you're thrashing on was built in the USA or some other western world? Really?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Apple is more proactive than most companies, but remember that these investigations are of the big assembly plants like Foxcon.

We don't know about what is happening down the street at the circuit board company, the wire plant, the coating plant or all the way out at the mines where raw material come from. What is happening there with the work force and with toxins?

Much harder to check out and likely terrible compared to a nice clean assembly plant that everyone is looking at all the time.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I bet you love Samsung huh? No asian workforce there... Or HP.. or HTC... or... and the list goes on. Do you think the computer you're thrashing on was built in the USA or some other western world? Really?

Not my point...

togg

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2012

lol? Your capitalist propaganda is ridiculous. This is an over-capacity crisis. The same stuff that the overproduction crisis only that the system doesn't need to over produce and will enter in a crisis even before.
But I like to frequent forum like this just to read how the capitalist propaganda can talk indefinitely about people that don't want to create surplus value (ops, sorry! that "don't want to work"), China people that just want to make some money by working 60 hours in a week, ecc.

Thanks.

----------

I miss the days when unions were set up by workers, not overseas clients of the company.

Why are you saying that? Chinese people just want to make some money. Don't you see how beautiful it is to work 60 hours in a week and live your dream of prosperity?
How can't you see this?

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
Meanwhile, we're in a major financial crisis in part because too many Americans don't want to work and would rather suck at the government's teet. Maybe a little hard work is a good thing.

Good to know idiots own Apple computers too... :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple is more proactive than most companies, but remember that these investigations are of the big assembly plants like Foxcon.

We don't know about what is happening down the street at the circuit board company, the wire plant, the coating plant or all the way out at the mines where raw material come from. What is happening there with the work force and with toxins?

Much harder to check out and likely terrible compared to a nice clean assembly plant that everyone is looking at all the time.

Go to Apple's website. The link to their "Supplier Responsibility" report is actually at bottom of the front page. Then read it. Apple does audits everywhere. Many companies saying that this is the first time they have ever been audited. Apple cancels contracts when companies are intentionally in violation of Apple's guidelines; has happened at least on two occasions.

So yes, Apple knows what is happening at the circuit board company, the wire plant and the coating plant. They might not know what happens at the chemical plant that makes fertilizer for the farm that grows wheat and rye for the bakery that bakes bread for the canteen that feeds the workers at the circuit board company.

dru`

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2004
USA
Good to know idiots own Apple computers too... :rolleyes:

Actually there are plenty who don't want to work. Look at the data. Too many think they're too good for a job that's "beneath them." We have entire sectors dominated by migrant labor because Americans do not want to do that work any more. So, yeah, when making a comment like above you may want to check the mirror.

There was certainly a point, and still is in some locations, where jobs are not plentiful and even now jobs that are to be had are not full time family-sustaining ones. This so-called "recovery" has underperformed fantastically compared to any in our history, including those caused by worse circumstances.

In spite of failing and flailing cities and greater we see the same leadership returned. There's idiots at the ballot box too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.