Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I'm streaming the songs from my iPhone to my tv through my roku box n iphone roku app. It does pictures too

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Ahh but don't you need a cable plan to get TWC TV via their app? So you can't really cut the cord (using that)

It can be used in place of a cable box. My HOA doesn't allow wiring to the 2nd story of my townhome and I don't want coax stapled across the house so this TWC app is a godsend. It's a shame AppleTV does not have a deal with Time Warner.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
can it stream my existing media from a network share? if so, what codecs?

this is my #1 requirement for a box like this and the main reason why an appletv3 won't be in the running until it gets a jailbreak (so it can run xbmc).

I've been using my Roku w/ Plex and it is wonderful.

----------

I'd be all over this if it would stream directly from my NAS (no computer in between) like my old WD HD TV Live+

Yep. Plex is what you should look into.

Movies stored on NAS
Install Plex server on selected NAS
(not all NAS are supported but I know Synology is http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/)
Scan your library w/ the Plex Media Manager
Add the Plex Chanel to Roku
Enjoy!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple is dedicating an extreme amount of attention to Apple TV. You just haven't seen the results of it yet. Patience, young padawan. "It's an area of intense interest." - Tim Cook on TV

Pretty much, that's the same lines used about :apple:TV since 2007. Meanwhile Roku has gone from nothing :)apple:TV-like) in 2008 to this. First Roku HD was launched in late 2009.

It's not a hobby to Roku. They take it serious. I wish Apple would too. And if they are, I wish it would show... you know... like it shows with Roku.

I own an :apple:TV3 but covet the richer options of other devices from companies that don't have the deep, DEEP war chest to at least compete head-to-head on cutting deals with Studios. It's not a money obstacle with Apple; they could easily outspend a smallish company like Roku to strike similar content deals, etc. It's just a choice... a choice to not compete head-to-head (perhaps for now anyway) by calling it a "hobby".

----------

2. You don't know that Apple doesn't have a team. They could have 1000 folks working in this. And you still won't like the results because they didn't do it the way you (and most of this board) want them to. But it will probably still sell hand over fist to 'the sheep'

Apple certainly has the financial resources to dedicate a team at least as big as Roku's to the very same tasks Roku has driven with their own team and limited resources. Now compare the breadth of offerings. Sure :apple:TV does a bunch of proprietary things only such a product from Apple could do but Roku has a bunch of content offerings that are not available on Apple. Why not build a Roku-sized content negotiating team to offer the proprietary offerings plus everything a little company like Roku can offer? Best of both worlds in a box we want to buy from Apple.

It's just a choice with Apple. They choose not to compete head-to-head (yet). Maybe someday.

And too bad. It's a big market begging for an ideal solution. Right now, you need 2 or 3 boxes to reach that ideal. Apple could easily blend those unique advantages into an :apple:TV if they would just choose to focus on it (beyond the hobby level of focus). Sometimes I imagine Apple is the biggest company in the world being run like it's a small company where only a guy or two at the top can make the decisions: thus :apple:TV requires just a bit more bandwidth than they have (so it only gets some attention when they get a free moment from focusing on other iDevices and Macs... and lawsuits).

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Sometime I worry that I'm at risk of becoming an Apple fanboy, but then I see a work of art like this. I think I'll actually get it. It's cheap, functional, and beautiful; Apple can usually only manage 2/3.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I have no issues with my AppleTV. It's not as particularly versatile as the Roku, but with having all my media in iTunes already, having two Macs, an iPad, and an iPhone... the AppleTV just fits best in my entertainment flow.

I do, however, wish it had a Spotify or Pandora app. Yes, you could argue that I can just AirPlay from any of my Apple devices (and I do!), but you could do the same thing with Netflix... case in point, there's a Netflix app, so Spotify/Pandora should be equally likely.

Also, I wish I could extend my desktop to my AppleTV instead of simply mirroring it. That way, I could still peruse the interwebz (for example) whilst having Hulu on in the background.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I have set up playlist folders and smart playlist. So i have a folder for the show and then inside that folder i have eash season. So as i add each show to iTunes it will show up in the right playlist. Adds an extra click or two of the remote to get to the folders but all of the less techie folks in the house like it.

Good tip. I'll try that out. Thanks!

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
My first thought: that remote looks like a Wii-mote.

Or the Roku remote that's been out for a few years....

"The only thing Apple TV has going for it is Airplay as far as I can tell".

Airplay has a huge advantage over Roku. I can convert my HDTV to a giant monitor by activating Airplay on my iMac. The Bluetooth keypad and trackpad easily work in a different part of the house. I can then watch Amazon TV or play Angry Birds or whatever else takes my fancy.
Face Time is also great through Apple TV.

Airplay isn't all that great of a feature. Beaming ANgry birds to your TV is great... if someone wants to watch you fling birds. Most ios apps/games still require you to look down at your iPhone/iPad.

Airplay is streaming via your router... which at times is a total suck fest with buffering and load times. It's a nice feature, but you wold almost be better off plugging in your laptop to the hdmi port.

Most people are just trying to stream some video. The Roku is 100 times better for this than the Apple TV for content choice. How often does anyone use Airplay? There's the exception to ever rule, but most people play with it once or twice for the novelty and never have any practical reason to use it again. The Apple TV already connects to your photos, music, videos, etc on your Mac... and unless a friend has an Apple TV, that sharing content on the go doesn't work so well.

I do like Airplay when playing certain kinds of games on an iPad (board games, family feud type stuff, etc) with multi-player.

Apple TV will come up in my rankings when it gets native HBO Go app.... airplay is not the experience I want.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
No. But if I'm using headphones I might as well use my MacBook or iPad instead of the TV.

It's neat but not a must have.

I don't believe there are any features on either the Roku or Apple TV that are must haves, other than the ability to watch something with them. Everything else are just extra features. Now that I think about it, neither the Roku or Apple TV, or MacBook or iPad are must haves. They are neat and some are quite useful, but mankind survived without them for thousands of years.

----------

Sadly, as with AppleTv it's only viable in the US, anywhere else not so much.

You can get Apple TV in Canada, which, last time I checked, was not part of the US.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I don't believe there are any features on either the Roku or Apple TV that are must haves, other than the ability to watch something with them. Everything else are just extra features. Now that I think about it, neither the Roku or Apple TV, or MacBook or iPad are must haves. They are neat and some are quite useful, but mankind survived without them for thousands of years.

----------

You can get Apple TV in Canada, which, last time I checked, was not part of the US.

Got out of the wrong side of the bed today huh?

What he means is, theres far more content available for the ATV in America than Europe or other countries such as Canada so its less viable to choose an ATV over something like Roku if you live anywhere else.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
The Roku hardware has a Network connection, USB port (for massive multi-TB hard drives), and an SD card slot.

The Roku OS has multiple programs for playing/streaming from any of those, including popular software such as Plex.
What about a plain SMB/AFP/NFS mount?
So right there that tells you that anything Plex understands (MKV, MP4, H.264, etc) can be played on the Roku.
But STILL no AVI/DivX support. Having to use Plex to convert stuff on the fly every time is a kludge, relies on continued availability of client/server on both sides, and requires that a computer be present and running. Does Plex allow one to forward/rewind, or does it only stream?
There's a lot of people that will tell you that a Roku is a hundred times better than an Apple TV, simply due to the wide variety of apps.
Lots of people mess with jailbreaking their Apple TV ... just to do what Roku already does.
And yet the Roku dorks refuse to do what my Boxee Box has done for a couple of years: simply mount a network volume of video (and photos and music I believe) and allow one to browse and play -- including DivX/AVI. No kludges needed. And for those who really want, there are still hundreds of worthless apps.

----------

Most people are just trying to stream some video.
I'd really prefer to watch without being limited to streaming.
The Roku is 100 times better for this than the Apple TV for content choice. [/quote]
And still worse than the Boxee Box. Pull your heads out of your collective ass, Roku.
The Apple TV already connects to your photos, music, videos, etc on your Mac...
That is accurate but not precise. ATV connects to media stored in iTunes. Unless something has changed since I last looked it won't do just a plain friggin mount. I don't want to have to format-convert everything, especially transient stuff, and import it into iTunes just to be able to watch it once.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
can it stream my existing media from a network share? if so, what codecs?

this is my #1 requirement for a box like this and the main reason why an appletv3 won't be in the running until it gets a jailbreak (so it can run xbmc).
I'm not entirely sure if this answers your question, but you can stream your media to Roku using the Plex server on your computer and the Plex app on Roku. That's what I do.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Got out of the wrong side of the bed today huh?

What he means is, theres far more content available for the ATV in America than Europe or other countries such as Canada so its less viable to choose an ATV over something like Roku if you live anywhere else.

Uh, no. I was simply pointing out that the term "must have" is kind of ridiculous. Who's to say what's a "must have" feature? How do you measure that? Personally, I don't have either the Roku or Apple TV, but see the advantages to both of them. I think being able to plug the earphones in the remote it a very good idea. People keep saying that you would just watch it on your iPad or laptop, but that kind of skirts the issue. If you want to watch on your TV, then earphones in the remote are a good idea. Arguing whether they are a "must have" feature is pointless.

sensel

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Two birds are better than one…

It still looks like the best option is to buy an Apple TV refurb (or a new one) and a Roku refurb (or this new model). Then you have it all!
That's what I did.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Headphone jack in the remote umm I would prefer bluetooth headphone support .

Initially I thought the headphone jack was kinda silly. However reading into the specs I learned that the remote actually uses WiFi Direct technology, which potentially means better audio quality and range verses BT headphones.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Also, I wish I could extend my desktop to my AppleTV instead of simply mirroring it. That way, I could still peruse the interwebz (for example) whilst having Hulu on in the background.

Check out the excellent ClickToFlash plugin for Safari (Mac and Windows: )
http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Not only does it replace Flash web video whenever it can with less-resource-hungry HTML5, it also lets you AirPlay that video to your AppleTV, just like you can from iOS devices. This is not AirPlay Mirroring, it's just sending the video itself, which means you can keep using your laptop while video plays.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Check out the excellent ClickToFlash plugin for Safari (Mac and Windows: )
http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Not only does it replace Flash web video whenever it can with less-resource-hungry HTML5, it also lets you AirPlay that video to your AppleTV, just like you can from iOS devices. This is not AirPlay Mirroring, it's just sending the video itself, which means you can keep using your laptop while video plays.
I actually use ClickToFlash, but had no idea it did this! I'll have to test it out. Thanks!

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
I actually use ClickToFlash, but had no idea it did this! I'll have to test it out. Thanks!

Yep. It's pretty much my favorite thing, ever. Make sure you're using the newest extension version of CtF (or ClickToPlugin) I linked above (as opposed to one of the older incarnations.)

Set it up so that it's sending to your AppleTV. One of my devices has a hostname formatted thusly: bedroom-apple-tv.local
You can also use IP address.

Also install Media Center from the same developer, as it gives your Safari toolbar a "stop" button for the videos you've sent via AirPlay for playback.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Install Plex for YouTube on the Roku.

Yep. I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention. This channel, once added inside Plex, appears to be a full-fledged YouTube client, too -- no weird workarounds with third-party apps and "public" playlists. So with Roku, I'm now logged into my YouTube account on my TV, and I'm watching videos from my playlists, and browsing around. Working pretty well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.