Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Kiwi

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2003
New Zealand
Ooh 4k of ram pushing the viewport polys.

The price will be waay prohibitive mind you.

The Mac Pro releases usually go like this, with graphics cards - You get the card the PC world has just moved on from, sans the Quadros.

The new drivers on offer in ML have me very optimistic for the future though.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
LOL, so if a new Mac Pro comes out in the next month or two, it'll probably have last generation graphics already, as AMD would have likely released their 8000 series cards by then. :)

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Best Mac news in a long, long time, IMO.

I agree it bodes well for an imminent Mac Pro. And GPU power is for me the #1 most important criteria.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
The K5000 is far from being Nvidia's highest performing card, it's more of a mid-range pro card, just like the AMD 7950 is far from being AMD's best gaming card.

When will Apple let its pro customers have access to the best available cards on the market???

The 7970 or 7990 are only supported in existing Mac Pros by way of user hacks that probably void warranty by re-routing or overloading certain power connections...

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
LOL, so if a new Mac Pro comes out in the next month or two, it'll probably have last generation graphics already, as AMD would have likely released their 8000 series cards by then. :)

Exactly, but they wouldn't want to shock us too much by actually bundling a current medium to high-end card as default (such as the 7970/8970) and supporting the best available dual-GPU cards (7990/8990).

People might think Apple actually cares about pros and gamers instead of just being a consumer device company and they can't have that evidently...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

You mean these 8000 series desktop offerings?

" ... At the same time AMD rebadged a bunch of other desktop 7000 series parts into the 8000 OEM series, with Cape Verde, Pitcairn, and Tahiti products all making the jump. ... "
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6751/amd-reiterates-2013-gpu-plans-sea-islands-beyond

" .. The Radeon HD 7000 series isn’t going anywhere in the retail market, but in the OEM market where OEMs are demanding parts with higher numbers, the entire Radeon family from top to bottom is getting rebadged. ..."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6570/amds-annual-gpu-rebadge-radeon-hd-8000-series-for-oems

There is some lower mid range stuff that is new for later this year but mid-upper range what is coming out this year is primarily already out minus some minor tweaks.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The K5000 is far from being Nvidia's highest performing card, it's more of a mid-range pro card, just like the AMD 7950 is far from being AMD's best gaming card.

When will Apple let its pro customers have access to the best available cards on the market???

Depends upon what want to do....

' ... . "Like many artists who use DaVinci Resolve, colorists seek the highest performance possible from their systems, and with just one of the new Kepler GPUs our users will be able to work with 4K imagery on their Mac Pros in real time." ... '
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/nvida-announces-kepler-based-quadro-k5000-gpu-for-mac-pro/

" ... Even with two K5000 chips in this desktop, Premiere Pro utilizes just one, but After Effects takes advantage of both GPUs. ... "
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/nvidia-quadro-k5000-for-mac-hands-on/#continued

That two fit can also be a benefit, if leveraged as opposed to just one which just maxes out the power sources.

To couch this as though these cards can't be used to get real work done is stretch. They are fast enough for a broad spectrum of uses. There is always some subset at the absolute bleeding edge but that is a small subset.

Besides, it isn't totally up to Apple. Apple doesn't stop 3rd party vendors from putting cards on the market. Nvidia and AMD do the low level driver work. Apple could "bribe" them into perhaps jumpstarting a card but if there was a substantial market with millions to spend the vendors would show up.

The 7970 or 7990 are only supported in existing Mac Pros by way of user hacks that probably void warranty by re-routing or overloading certain power connections...

10.8.3 betas have support. But yes power; that one issue that could be addressed in a upgraded model.

Tashencrabbie

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Of all the things to get irked about, this just about takes the biscuit. What possible difference does it make to you whether they release 1 beta or 12, as long as it's well tested before it's released? And since when did Apple ever give you an indication of the official release date in advance?

Answer to question one:
Who are you to question legitimate, documented, widespread, system breaking, damn near LEGION issues with 10.8.2 point release? Startup speed fix; shutdown speed fix; HDMI color output and stability issues; TWO supplemental .2 patches; Safari (lack of) responsiveness; officially the longest wait for an OSX dot release, 160 days and counting; concern about 10.9 release schedule for developers and administrators; lack of Windows 8 support (still!); rMBP speed; and finally, my favorite, plain flat broke implementation of Fusion Drive tech with Disk Utility.

Answer to question two:
Apple gave me $1500 Mac mini worth of indications that they would not make huge mistakes nor death-by-a-thousand-cuts. Premium money DEMANDS premium results NOT a dozen betas and counting. I coulda (shoulda?) spent that money on an absolutely KILLER gaming rig.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
10.8.3 betas have support. But yes power; that one issue that could be addressed in a upgraded model.

The cynic in me says it was a form of deliberate crippling. I'd love to be able to stick a 7970 in my 2010 for about twice the performance over the 5870, but officially I can't, even with 10.8.3 adding driver support.

It's the only disappointment I've had with the fantastic machine and display...but that's the thing about Apple, they always hold something back; giving us enough to keep us addicted and drip feeding updates...

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Yes sir, finally, if they don't get their act together on the Pro end it will bite them in the long run as other companies will take that market.

Also technology needs to trickle down from Pro -> consumer devices as these devices get more and more powerful.

I am expecting a closed loop watercooled case to keep up with the range of awesome high end PC cases that have come out the last years.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Yes you are paying for drivers, but its way more than just the stability and certification. The Qaudro and FireGL card drivers have completely different rendering behavior than their gaming equivalents.

Workstation cards are for CAD, DCC (3d animation), medical vis, video I suppose. Lots of VRAM to store large data sets (textures, mesh) in memory.

Gaming cards are for gaming - 1/2 to 1/3 the mem, and different rendering behavior.

A gaming card treats the screen as one big dump of pixels and works to refresh the entire screen at 60hz+

A workstation card breaks the screen into individual graphic layers, and gets its great performance by only having to redraw layers that have been updated. So instead of redrawing the entire screen at 60hz ... perhaps only one viewport you're tumbling your model in needs redraw so say a 1/4 of the screen needs updating, and all the horsepower can be focused on that.

A game is much more chaotic than an application and has elements changing all over the place at teh same time, which is why Workstations cards don't fare as well at drawing games. Just as a gaming card aren't as efficient in an application because it is constantly redrawing the whole screen instead of just a fraction of it.

awesome explanation, thank you!

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
Crossing fingers for mac pro release/announcement during NAB. I hope they offer the GTX titan as an option, seems like a decent middleground between a high end gaming card and an overly expensive workstation card (I need cuda so only interested in Nvidia options).

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012

Do you even know what you are talking about?

First the 7970, 7950, 7870 and 7770 are supported as of 10.8.3. The 7990 is a dual GPU and there never has been Crossfire in Mac or SLI for that matter and there are no signs this is changing.

Second you can put any GPU in a Mac Pro without voiding the warranty.

Last the K5000 is meant for 3D work such as CS applications. Apple looks at the needs of developers not gamers. So I ask you to only comment on such items that you are informed about and know what the purpose of such a machine is designed for.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Do you even know what you are talking about?

First the 7970, 7950, 7870 and 7770 are supported as of 10.8.3. The 7990 is a dual GPU and there never has been Crossfire in Mac or SLI for that matter and there are no signs this is changing.

Second you can put any GPU in a Mac Pro without voiding the warranty.

Last the K5000 is meant for 3D work such as CS applications. Apple looks at the needs of developers not gamers. So I ask you to only comment on such items that you are informed about and know what the purpose of such a machine is designed for.

Off topic.

Man I realize you're new here but people have a right to give their opinions whether they are right or wrong so please stop asking people to not post.

carry on !
:)

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'll ask again, maybe someone knows, anyone know anything about shipping dates for the Mac K5000?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.