Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

symber

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
London
I still think Apple messed up by changing to a process that obviously wasn't quite ready for the production levels they needed. They probably could have shipped an Ivy Bridge update in the previous enclosures in June 2012. No we wouldn't have got the nifty thiner version or the better reflective display but it still would have been a nice update. Instead they waited until October to announce, November and December to start shipping and here we are 4 months later (after announcement) and they are still hard to come by in some configuration and areas.

So yeah, this was a poor product rollout.

I would actually have considered changing up my 2011 i7 iMac if they had kept the design and just bumped the GPU and CPU... maybe added in USB 3.0. How hard would that have been? Thinking about it, that would have been perfect!

As it is, it's not worth the bother, considering all the problems that have come up regarding the displays, on top of the removal of the ODD and FW. Not to mention the price hike. Frankly, the geekbench scores aren't high enough on the new models to warrant all the apparent trauma.

It's a shame, really.

Spotnik

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
Washington, IL
I'm probably no help here, but I received mine Thursday--just three weeks after the order was placed to replace my two year old Mac that developed an annoying buzz that couldn't be diagnosed or fixed (and made it useless for audio recording. Maybe one cause for the delays is the high priority being placed on replacing and servicing the ones that have already gone out.

I like this new design, and I'm going to like Mountain Lion a lot, but the downside is the 3T drive that doesn't play nice with Bootcamp (not without a workaround, that so far has left me with a mere 800G drive and a 2.2T free space that Disk Utility will NOT even format back to the Mac file system). I'm sure that will get fixed soon enough, but the communication about this has been iffy at best.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I like this new design, and I'm going to like Mountain Lion a lot, but the downside is the 3T drive that doesn't play nice with Bootcamp (not without a workaround, that so far has left me with a mere 800G drive and a 2.2T free space that Disk Utility will NOT even format back to the Mac file system). I'm sure that will get fixed soon enough, but the communication about this has been iffy at best.

Rumor has it that 10.8.3 will fix that, but the developers with access to the builds can't legally discuss that due to confidentiality agreements....

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Maybe the 2012 iMac is the worst rollout ever for Apple? It's almost March and there's still a 3 to 4 week delay on shipping? I'm a 2007 iMac owner and was in the market. On top of the fact that I'm not blown away by the new features, this delay is really making me lose interest. Sorry for the negativity, but just felt the need to vent frustration.

you're absolutely right, but don't expect to get much agreement around these parts.

Personally I love most of apples products and love their vision, but I also see the bad unlike many here that take every negative and try to convince us that it's a positive. (since when is REMOVING functionality/options EVER a positive?) They love to say "who needs X feature?" when its a great feature that should have and certainly could have been included.

They could have EASILY had this problem solved by simply making enough of the imacs BEFORE putting them up for order OR make the orders simply "pre-orders" to gauge the demand for them. Selling a million imacs in a week would make better news headlines and better free advertising than "imac shortage"

one says "wow, this product is great, people are buying it in record numbers, I should look into it" which may or may not turn into "I've got to have this!"

while the other says "this company loves to play games - releasing things that aren't ready for release"

They claim it was a supply problem - well you hold off on the release until the supply is dealt with. Even give 100 bucks off on pre-orders to keep that interest there and bankroll the profit.

Is the iMac WORTH the wait? YES!!!!
but should we have had to wait and should apple have made us wait? HECK NO

Anyone that says otherwise, is just a blind apple follower that refuses to see the bad along with the great.

tri-x

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2013
Melbourne
Personally I love most of apples products and love their vision, but I also see the bad unlike many here that take every negative and try to convince us that it's a positive. (since when is REMOVING functionality/options EVER a positive?) They love to say "who needs X feature?" when its a great feature that should have and certainly could have been included.

This is nothing new for Apple, they've been doing this for years such as removing the 3.5" floppy drive from the G3 iMac. Some reviews at the time condemned this move, some saying that reliance on that newfangled USB was a fatal flaw. I'm a FireWire user, but know I'm in a very small niche group and am more than happy that connectivity is available via high speed adaptors and hubs.

They claim it was a supply problem - well you hold off on the release until the supply is dealt with. Even give 100 bucks off on pre-orders to keep that interest there and bankroll the profit.

Sure, but again, this would be unlike Apple's product launches in the past. I imagine the supply problems were occurring like a car crash in slow motion: they could see what was happening, but couldn't do much to stop it. In response to others who have posted here, I would draw a big distinction between a bad product rollout and "incompetence".

essence25

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
So I picked one up too. 27" 1TB, 32GB (apple ram), Geforce 675MX 1GB, 3yr AppleCare, Magic pad, mouse, bt keyboard.

$2000 shipped.

Was it a good deal?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
So I picked one up too. 27" 1TB, 32GB (apple ram), Geforce 675MX 1GB, 3yr AppleCare, Magic pad, mouse, bt keyboard.

$2000 shipped.

Was it a good deal?

I'd say great deal.

I know you didn't get that from Apple lol

----------

This is nothing new for Apple, they've been doing this for years such as removing the 3.5" floppy drive from the G3 iMac. Some reviews at the time condemned this move, some saying that reliance on that newfangled USB was a fatal flaw. I'm a FireWire user, but know I'm in a very small niche group and am more than happy that connectivity is available via high speed adaptors and hubs.

Sure, but again, this would be unlike Apple's product launches in the past. I imagine the supply problems were occurring like a car crash in slow motion: they could see what was happening, but couldn't do much to stop it. In response to others who have posted here, I would draw a big distinction between a bad product rollout and "incompetence".

It definitely could have been avoided.

I honestly feel that consumers should stick together when companies do things like this in any arena.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Sigh... No I am not.

You can doubt all you want, but fine ok, you believe that Apple is just incompetent then.

There is no 3. choise. Either they are doing the old scarcity strategy or they are just plain incompetent. They could easily buy LG or just build everything themselves. Or announce the product when everything is ready to go. That would competence.

Oh my god are you still going?

It's been said time and time again, the reason for the iMac delay is supply chain constraints from LG. Nobody. Predicted. This.

If Apple thought they would have had issues, they would have sourced LCDs from two manufacturers - like they do for other models. And, for the record, your idea of buying LG or making the displays themselves is stupid - do you honestly think that buying another company, building a factory, buying new tools will get you a display quicker than simply waiting for LG to catch up? If anything, it will slow the process down.

And as for making them themselves - you think they have the ability off the bat to start making LCD panels, just like that. Again, quicker than LG could catch up? Do you know how technologically hard it is to make an LCD panel? Rule #1. If an established player cannot keep up - you're unlikely to be able to do so yourself with no experience.

But you obviously have no idea how business/the supply chain works. Plus - nobody is forcing you to buy one. Don't like it? Go buy a Dell. I hear they're good these days. Or you could just carry on beating on Apple for the sake of it.

----------

If current technology was always "good enough", we'd never had anything new. People cling on to legacy technology for as long as they can. Sometime's it's a design decision - the retina MBP, for example - there simply isn't room for an ODD or ethernet port in the current enclosure. Moving these externally (and lets face it, people who use ODDs and ethernet ports are vastly in the minority these days - as much as I hate wireless) allows them to move onto the next generation of design. The retina case wouldn't be possible in it's current form with an ethernet port in the side of it.

Would you still like to be using your serial mouse, PS/2 keyboard, parallel printer, floppy/zip drive, 56k modem. Maybe you'd like to connect your monitor by VGA. Or connect a USB 1 scanner.

At some point, ALL of those were removed.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Oh my god are you still going?

It's been said time and time again, the reason for the iMac delay is supply chain constraints from LG. Nobody. Predicted. This.

If Apple thought they would have had issues, they would have sourced LCDs from two manufacturers - like they do for other models. And, for the record, your idea of buying LG or making the displays themselves is stupid - do you honestly think that buying another company, building a factory, buying new tools will get you a display quicker than simply waiting for LG to catch up? If anything, it will slow the process down.

And as for making them themselves - you think they have the ability off the bat to start making LCD panels, just like that. Again, quicker than LG could catch up? Do you know how technologically hard it is to make an LCD panel? Rule #1. If an established player cannot keep up - you're unlikely to be able to do so yourself with no experience.

But you obviously have no idea how business/the supply chain works. Plus - nobody is forcing you to buy one. Don't like it? Go buy a Dell. I hear they're good these days. Or you could just carry on beating on Apple for the sake of it.

----------

If current technology was always "good enough", we'd never had anything new. People cling on to legacy technology for as long as they can. Sometime's it's a design decision - the retina MBP, for example - there simply isn't room for an ODD or ethernet port in the current enclosure. Moving these externally (and lets face it, people who use ODDs and ethernet ports are vastly in the minority these days - as much as I hate wireless) allows them to move onto the next generation of design. The retina case wouldn't be possible in it's current form with an ethernet port in the side of it.

Would you still like to be using your serial mouse, PS/2 keyboard, parallel printer, floppy/zip drive, 56k modem. Maybe you'd like to connect your monitor by VGA. Or connect a USB 1 scanner.

At some point, ALL of those were removed.

You act as if I don't want new technology to come out. I do, in fact I love the new new, but removing things that are still used without including a better solution is never good.

For example, better quality disc drive would have been a blu-ray drive. THAT is what should have been in the new macs.

There stoll isn't a better or even equal quality movie option better than blu ray.

If there were, it would be some huge files...

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
The new iMac is now, finally, available to ship in 1 - 3 days.

Optical drive?

Aside from the weight and room consideration and the huge reduction in carbon foot-print with packaging and shipping over the life of the design and number of units sold? . . . . the optical disc is all but dead.

The United States is a third-world country with regard to Internet service.

The rest of the civilized world has broadband at affordable pricing and fat pipes to deliver content, software, and streaming entertainment.

This is new for me, I was extremely pissed on when I discovered that Apple was dropping the optical disc from the iMac; I too was anticipating ordering an iMac with BRD.

I now understand, support, and have wrapped my cranium around the idea.

Now that production has caught up with pent-up demand, threads such as this will be seen for what they are, temporary comic relief.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You act as if I don't want new technology to come out. I do, in fact I love the new new, but removing things that are still used without including a better solution is never good.

For example, better quality disc drive would have been a blu-ray drive. THAT is what should have been in the new macs.

There stoll isn't a better or even equal quality movie option better than blu ray.

If there were, it would be some huge files...

ODD drives, in whatever format, are dying.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"It's been said time and time again, the reason for the iMac delay is supply chain constraints from LG. Nobody. Predicted. This."

Wrong.

This absolutely -was- "predicted" -- indeed, it was even posted here on MR months before the 2012 iMacs were released.

The "yield problems" for the new laminated displays were well-known before actual production even began.

Apparently, they haven't got yields up to where they ought to be, even now.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
"It's been said time and time again, the reason for the iMac delay is supply chain constraints from LG. Nobody. Predicted. This."

Wrong.

This absolutely -was- "predicted" -- indeed, it was even posted here on MR months before the 2012 iMacs were released.

The "yield problems" for the new laminated displays were well-known before actual production even began.

Apparently, they haven't got yields up to where they ought to be, even now.

Then they simply should have postponed the wide scale release until they had enough units to ship. It's cheaper per item to make more at a time anyway

Illyamac

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Valkenburg, NL
14 weeks waiting

Just waiting week after week , ordered a full BTO IMAC on November 30.

Waiting now a quarter of a year. Is this just a delay or an organisation which starts to get Alzheimer's disease.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

gallo889

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
An external disc player was crucial to setting up my new iMac; streaming GB of data and videos is slow, inflexible, and inconvenient. Streaming is being pushed and physical deprecated because it permits more monitoring and control.

Physical media will become about as obsolete as paper (remember the paperless office) and cash. They have their roles, no way around it. Every piece of serious software install was physical; I can't think of much I would rather stream -- maybe small utility programs from the App Store. Notice how even for free apps, you have to login; they want to know who you are and what you are doing and database it all forever.

But aside from vitally useful ODD's being removed, what's stunning is to get a new machine that has video camera + live microphones active, with no certain way to turn them off if you happen to realize they exist. Unlike an ODD, don't want them, will never use them and they are frivolous things on a computer.

There need to be physical switches that power video and audio surveillance off, with proof of disabling. No-brainer. None of this "trust us" silliness. There ought to be riots at Apple stores over this, but it is so hidden people don't notice.

Modern computers are becoming surveillance system infrastructure. Pay thousands of dollars for the privilege of being monitored and your data sold to strangers.

I see there are 6 web tracking bugs from MacRumors trying to attach to my browser as I type. Creepy.

Last edited:

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
Just waiting week after week , ordered a full BTO IMAC on November 30.

Waiting now a quarter of a year. Is this just a delay or an organisation which starts to get Alzheimer's disease.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Apple should really prioritize those who have waited a long time and ship the iMacs to them, but no! They´ll put the iMac for 1-3 days availability for new folks to order and we are still left waiting after 2 freaking months and no idea when we´ll get it!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now how is that fair?

Many of my friends were actually thinking of getting the new iMac and giving a Mac a try/chance, but since they heard about this rollout problem, they decided to stick with PCs. Way to go Apple!

I can´t really recommend or say any positive things about Apple to my friends anymore. Used to love Apple, but this is just really bad customer service.

Last edited:

gallo889

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
An external disc player was crucial to setting up my new iMac; streaming GB of data and videos is slow, inflexible, and inconvenient. It's being pushed because it permits more monitoring and control.

Physical media will become about as obsolete as paper (remember the paperless office) and cash. They have their roles, no way around it. Every piece of serious software install was physical; I can't think of much I would rather stream -- maybe small utility programs from the App Store. Notice how even for free apps, you have to login; they want to know who you are and what you are doing and database it all forever.

But aside from vitally useful ODD's being removed, what's stunning is to get a new machine that has video camera + live microphones active, with no certain way to turn them off if you happen to realize they exist. Unlike an ODD, don't want them, will never use them and they are frivolous things on a computer.

There need to be physical switches that power video and audio surveillance off, with proof of disabling. No-brainer. None of this "trust us" silliness. There ought to be riots at Apple stores over this, but it is so hidden people don't notice.

Modern computers are becoming surveillance system infrastructure. Pay thousands of dollars for the privilege of being monitored and your data sold to strangers.

I see there are 6 web tracking bugs from MacRumors trying to attach to my browser as I type. Creepy.

... and when you think back to the famous commercial introducing the Mac back in 1984, with the athlete hurling a hammer into a giant screen, as the totalitarian announcer from George Orwell's novel '1984' extolls the new level of control achieved (so as to eliminate confusion), you almost have to gape.

The Mac is now vanguard surveillance apparatus enabling exactly that sort of oppression. And they actually have people wanting to pay to have it in their homes to collect and transmit data on themselves. It is a remarkable 180 degree turn and one wonders how Apple can be oblivious to it.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
... and when you think back to the famous commercial introducing the Mac back in 1984, with the athlete hurling a hammer into a giant screen, as the totalitarian announcer from George Orwell's novel '1984' extolls the new level of control achieved (so as to eliminate confusion), you almost have to gape.

The Mac is now the vanguard surveillance apparatus enabling exactly that sort of oppression. And they have people wanting to pay to have it in their homes. It is a remarkable 180 degree turn and one wonders how Apple can be oblivious to it.

The question is how can the people be so oblivious and ignorant about this. That blows my mind.

I guess people are just comfortable being sheeps.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Oh I think Apple is an insidiously dark corporation.

Apple would be the unredeemable spawn of Satan if it weren't for the fact that Apple produces stunning product.

As for privacy and surveillance, there is no distinction of any consequence between a PC and a Mac. You pick your poison and go with it.

It is a colossal failure at marketing and customer service if there are people who ordered an iMac at the Apple Store in December or on November 30 and have not gotten their order delivered.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Wow, that´s not a very bright argument. So there is no middle way? So there´s only two options for Apple and both are incompetence? So building them fast and matching the demand and being competent is just out of option for Apple?

It isn't very bright when taken out of context.

I did not ask "would you rather have a problem or be perfect". That would be easy.

I was asking which of the two problems would you prefer to have: Unsold inventory or lack of supply. Each one is a problem.
I'd rather be sold out.

Choosing between right and wrong is easy. The challenge is choosing the wrong that is most right.

essence25

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
An external disc player was crucial to setting up my new iMac; streaming GB of data and videos is slow, inflexible, and inconvenient. Streaming is being pushed and physical deprecated because it permits more monitoring and control.

Wow, couldn't have said it better. I've been telling everyone about this since the first time they started this bs. We are literally paying into monitoring each other and not only that but expose every aspect of our lives. Quite scary. Everyone is literally flocking to the stores to buy these expensive monitoring devices. So easy for remote turn on of the camera and microphones. Quite unnerving.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Apple should really prioritize those who have waited a long time and ship the iMacs to them, but no! They´ll put the iMac for 1-3 days availability for new folks to order and we are still left waiting after 2 freaking months and no idea when we´ll get it!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now how is that fair?

Many of my friends were actually thinking of getting the new iMac and giving a Mac a try/chance, but since they heard about this rollout problem, they decided to stick with PCs. Way to go Apple!

I can´t really recommend or say any positive things about Apple to my friends anymore. Used to love Apple, but this is just really bad customer service.

Okay sooooo....I guess we shouldn't have to hear anymore from you then right? Why waste energy trying to put a damper on an Apple enthusiasts site since you're longer happy with the products and the company? Apple certainly doesn't hear you here and the forum members don't seem to care what you say anymore either. So long my friend, thanks for your input.
May I suggest Dell, HP or Lenovo....and their forums? :)

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2011
Okay sooooo....I guess we shouldn't have to hear anymore from you then right? Why waste energy trying to put a damper on an Apple enthusiasts site since you're longer happy with the products and the company? Apple certainly doesn't hear you here and the forum members don't seem to care what you say anymore either. So long my friend, thanks for your input.
May I suggest Dell, HP or Lenovo....and their forums? :)

At least my bad experience and opinion has changed few of my friends opinions about Macs and Apple, they won´t be getting an iMac anymore. They 100% would have if the rollout would have been fast. They will be sticking with PCs and buying new PCs. In fact one of my other friend already has his new PC shipped. So I´m hurting Apple by many thousands of dollars. I guess that´s just pocket change to them, but still.... I´m sure I´m not the only one. This is really hurting Apple´s image as a competent company.

What a fail and bad customer service!

The fact that they are selling and shipping new iMacs to new customers, before getting iMacs to all of those who already ordered in November/December/January says it all. Bad company with incompetent people! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.