Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absl8tly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
i want to know if we must have a data plan when we are using an unlocked Verizon or Sprint iPhone 4S on AT&T (by using gevey sim or something like that).

does AT&T automatically recognize even cdma versions of the 4S from its imei (and put them on a data plan)? or is it up to us to add appropriate data?

thanks in advance

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
even if they dont know immediately, which im surprised if they wont since the network should recognize the IMEI as an iphone, they will eventually see your account is missing the appropriate data plan and assign one to it.

absl8tly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Then why did you ask, if you know for a fact?

i know about the iPhone 5. that's why I asked only about the 4S.

i heard at&t currently does not recognize iphone models whose imei do not start with 01 (gsm models). so i'm gunning for the fact that they won't detect a cdma 4S and as a result i can avoid putting a data plan completely.

so can anyone who actually has first-hand knowledge or know for certain tell me if at&t system automatically detects cdma 4S models?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

i heard at&t currently does not recognize iphone models whose imei do not start with 01 (gsm models). so i'm gunning for the fact that they won't detect a cdma 4S and as a result i can avoid putting a data plan completely.

so can anyone who actually has first-hand knowledge or know for certain tell me if at&t system automatically detects cdma 4S models?

From what I've read over the past year att recognizes all iPhones.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I heard the same.
You're using a CDMA iphone on AT&T's network with a gevey sim interposer so I doubt AT&T would have those IMEI numbers in their database to recognize what would be an unusable device on their network.
I'd give it a shot anyway, wost thing that can happen is they will send you a text and add a data plan but my guess is you'd be fine.
Im using a verizon i5 with one of my lines on AT&T and when I gave them the imei to add the iphone data plan they couldnt identify the phone and couldnt add the appropriate iphone data plan cause of that. I had to give them an imei of another AT&T iphone 5 that I had on another line to add an iphone data to that line.

absl8tly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I heard the same.
You're using a CDMA iphone on AT&T's network with a gevey sim interposer so I doubt AT&T would have those IMEI numbers in their database to recognize what would be an unusable device on their network.
I'd give it a shot anyway, wost thing that can happen is they will send you a text and add a data plan but my guess is you'd be fine.
Im using a verizon i5 with one of my lines on AT&T and when I gave them the imei to add the iphone data plan they couldnt identify the phone and couldnt add the appropriate iphone data plan cause of that. I had to give them an imei of another AT&T iphone 5 that I had on another line to add an iphone data to that line.

sounds about right.

was expecting someone here to already be experienced about it :D
but anyway, i'll probably try it in the next few days and just roll the dice. 4S will be going back to the seller if AT&T does put me on a data plan.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
sounds about right.

was expecting someone here to already be experienced about it :D
but anyway, i'll probably try it in the next few days and just roll the dice. 4S will be going back to the seller if AT&T does put me on a data plan.

Sounds good, I'd be really surprised if they ever add an iphone data plan.
Keep us posted a few weeks or months down the road.
Good luck bro.

absl8tly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
so, i've been running a Verizon iPhone 4S on AT&T for the past few weeks, and they haven't automatically added a data plan to my line so far :D

however, the system does immediately identify it as an iPhone, and if i want to add data now, the website makes me choose from the smartphone plans.
it leads me to believe that if i had the unlimited data for non-smartphones (aka medianet plan) before starting to use the iPhone, they would've automatically switched me to the iPhone plan (of course, i can't be certain)

and peeps with pay-per-use data or a data block on their line can avoid a mandatory data plan if they chose to.

really hope it remains that way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.